DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI to stop selling most Mavic due to patent infringement?

Just read an article that says the Autel prevailed in a patent infringement suit against DJI. The article says that the ITC (International Trade Commission) administrative law judge is recommending that DJI be prohibited from importing or selling all infringing products, including al Mavic models except the Mavic Mini. Anyone else hear of this?
DJI is the giant in this industry, I doubt very much that they will stop shipping there Flag ship Mavic drones to the US! I hate to admit it but the Chinese drone maker procedures way better quality Drones in my opinion. Has anyone flown an Autel EVO II 8K Drone? The price is almost the same as Mavic 2 pro, but it seems Evo2 still has a lot of unfixed problems going on if you have ever flown one! Plus, Autel's EVO 2 48 meg a pixels are very difficult to edit in adobe lightroom and i have noticed some problems with the horizon tilt when flying one around a property. Plus, I feel the remote is a bit jerky sort of speak ad the yaw is just not as smooth as any of the the Mavic lines!! Just my 2 cents!!!

Last edited:
I far prefer the propellor mount of the Inspire 1 pro with a locking collar. Seems more robust, it’s clear it’s locked on.

So, Autel would have the opportunity to earn more money than selling drones... ;-)

Perhaps this applies to Unique also. My Typhoon H has this type of prop lock also along with others in the Typhoon family.

This morning, I read something that talked about the suit. I didn't see anywhere that Autel was seeking remedy (or what it would be). The other thing the article talked about was the potential for not only prohibiting the sale but also the operation of DJI products-I'd go with the later is retaliation as DJI is a Chinese company. If that happens, we all own bricks...

Facts:
This patent was filed in 2013, three years before the Mavic Pro.

My Reading:
In reading the two embodiments of the patent, and the CLAIMS which is the key legal part, this is not a patent on prop attachments.
This is a patent on drone with folding arms, quickly removable prop mounts, and landing stabilizers on the arms.
The Mavic line is this patent.

List of Claims in the original 2013 patent granted in 2014

I have not seen which claims are being upheld. I also can not find a DJI patent on a folding drone. Hmmm

I helped write a patent 20 years ago for interactive real-time auctions. Still not being done right.
The interesting thing is before we gave up, the USPO sent us several patents that were for eBay after eBay existed because they didn't understand the concept of realtime message-based interactions. The patent office was clueless about software process patents.

The way a patent is to be written is BROADLY SPECIFIC. Broad enough that someone can not make a small change and bypass it. Specific enough that it is NEW and now just a minor upgrade obvious upgrade. You break it up into claims related to the main invention, this gives you some room so if it ends up part of your design is not new. You lose that claim, not the whole patent.

Air 2 wasn't out when this ruling was being drafted. It will be covered. The mini might because of the **** screws that mount the prop have been excluded or maybe it's based on what was for sale when the filing happened. And Autel will file for extensions to the current ruling.

It appears right now that the patent was only filed in US and Cananda. Not unusual for small companies.
My reading of the patent says they have a solid case for getting royalties from DJI for EVERY Mavic drone sold in North America Ever until 2033 when the patent expires.

DJI has options:
  1. Pay up and move on.
  2. Stop selling directly to NA and count on Global and Grey market sales while AUTEL chases around grey market US sellers
  3. Walk away from the US and sell everywhere else.
If this patent is what I think it is, and I have not read the ruling yet to see what was protected, but if it is the FIRST PATENT for a folding drone...
It's not about damages to AUTEL, it's about the value of their invention to DJI. Which as their signature consumer-level drone is significant and as many say DJI is large, their deep pockets will take a hit. They will have to pay for EVERY MAVIC sold in North America (assuming Canada also enforces the patent) and they will have to keep paying for 13 more years. Being a direct competitor might increase their standing when they start going after damages and payments.

There is a GIANT house on Lake Washington near Seatte, in a prime location about a mile from Bill Gate's house that had to be built into the side of a bluff. That house was paid for because the owner, back in the 1960's thought "I wish there was a way I could have a machine on the outside of the bank that could let me get cash at all hours from my account. He described it and filed it. Banks came out with ATMS. He had the patent, they all paid him for years.

This is not like Trademark infringement or even some copyright law where there is fair use and you have to prove some loss.
The patent says, I invented this idea and have rights to legal compensation from any benefit from it for 20 years.

This patent is for a folding drone that looks so much like a Mavic, while possible, unlikely that it was coincidental. Even if it was, DJIs only defense would be to somehow show they invented the Mavic in 2013.

Parrot owns patents on folding landing gear and linked folding arms
DJI has 2017 patent on a new locking prop design.

In the long-term they may both have valid claims against the other, and when the courts are done. They settle on cross patent licenses and payments. Software companies do this all the time.
DJI has the problem that they are on the current U.S. Govt boogie man list. They may find they need to settle sooner unless some judged overrules the USITC.

I have heared of but not yet seen by myself, that the props on MA2 are no longer keyed to prevent mounting them onto the wrong motor. Maybe that is the result of this case...

I just checked my Mavic Air 2, and you are correct. (this also explains the warning in the User Manual about installing the props on the wrong motor).

All this about copyright infringements has happened once before.
I don’t see any difference in this case as well.
Check out this old case that was filed back in the days.
I am sure DJI will appeal in this new one as well.
Here is a copy of the first case. Do any of you remember the first case?
Check it out! https://insight.rpxcorp.com/litigation_documents/12105917

I have heared of but not yet seen by myself, that the props on MA2 are no longer keyed to prevent mounting them onto the wrong motor. Maybe that is the result of this case...
The Mavic Air 2 has a slightly different prop-lock system, that uses two keys rather than the three we are used to on the Mavic Pro etc. It still uses the same press & turn locking system. But, it's still nothing like the Autel patent drawings however ...

Prop-lock.jpg

This patent is for a folding drone that looks so much like a Mavic, while possible, unlikely that it was coincidental. Even if it was, DJIs only defense would be to somehow show they invented the Mavic in 2013.
The link in this article references a patent with drawings that are nothing like a Mavic ... ???

Ordinarily, I'd say this would be appealed for years or a deal would be struck to pay royalties but with the current animosity between the US and China and the distrust of Chinese companies PLUS the push to promote US companies first, I fear this may have a chance of actually going through.

Just read an article that says the Autel prevailed in a patent infringement suit against DJI. The article says that the ITC (International Trade Commission) administrative law judge is recommending that DJI be prohibited from importing or selling all infringing products, including al Mavic models except the Mavic Mini. Anyone else hear of this?
I read that also

• (May 13, 2020, Washington, DC) – Steptoe has secured a significant trial victory for Autel Robotics USA at the US International Trade Commission (ITC). On March 2, the chief administrative law judge of the ITC found that SZ DJI Technology Co. Ltd. and seven related entities (together known as "DJI"), the world’s largest maker of consumer drones, violated Section 337 of the Tariff Act of 1930, as amended, by importing and selling drones that infringe US Patent No. 9, 260,184 belonging to Autel. As a result, the chief administrative law judge recommended that the infringing products be excluded from importation into the United States, including the Mavic Pro, Mavic Pro Platinum, Mavic 2 Pro, Mavic 2 Zoom, Mavic Air, and Spark. Together these represent some of DJI's most popular drones sold in the United States.
The chief administrative law judge's initial determination also recommended a cease and desist order prohibiting DJI from selling any of those products already in the United States at the time the exclusion order issues. It also granted Autel's request that DJI post a 9.9% bond during the 60-day presidential review period following the exclusion order.
If the chief administrative law judge's determination is upheld by the full commission, these products could be taken off the US market as early as July. In the meantime, Autel has filed a petition with the ITC to extend the exclusion order to include other popular DJI products including the Phantom 4 and Inspire series drones.
The Steptoe team that secured this victory for Autel is led by Tim Bickham and includes lawyers John Abramic, Matt Bathon, Mike Flynn-O'Brien, Kate Johnson, Candice Kwark, Hui Shen, and Andrew Xue.
About Steptoe
In more than 100 years of practice, Steptoe has earned an international reputation for vigorous representation of clients before governmental agencies, successful advocacy in litigation and arbitration, and creative and practical advice in structuring business transactions. Steptoe has more than 500 lawyers and other professional staff across offices in Beijing, Brussels, Chicago, Hong Kong, London, Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, and Washington. For more information, visit www.steptoe.com.

• (May 13, 2020, Washington, DC) – Steptoe has secured a significant trial victory for Autel Robotics USA at the US International Trade Commission (ITC). On March 2, the chief administrative law judge of the ITC found that SZ DJI Technology Co. Ltd. and seven related entities (together known as "DJI"), the world’s largest maker of consumer drones, violated Section 337 of the Tariff Act of 1930, as amended, by importing and selling drones that infringe US Patent No. 9, 260,184 belonging to Autel. As a result, the chief administrative law judge recommended that the infringing products be excluded from importation into the United States, including the Mavic Pro, Mavic Pro Platinum, Mavic 2 Pro, Mavic 2 Zoom, Mavic Air, and Spark. Together these represent some of DJI's most popular drones sold in the United States.
The chief administrative law judge's initial determination also recommended a cease and desist order prohibiting DJI from selling any of those products already in the United States at the time the exclusion order issues. It also granted Autel's request that DJI post a 9.9% bond during the 60-day presidential review period following the exclusion order.
If the chief administrative law judge's determination is upheld by the full commission, these products could be taken off the US market as early as July. In the meantime, Autel has filed a petition with the ITC to extend the exclusion order to include other popular DJI products including the Phantom 4 and Inspire series drones.
The Steptoe team that secured this victory for Autel is led by Tim Bickham and includes lawyers John Abramic, Matt Bathon, Mike Flynn-O'Brien, Kate Johnson, Candice Kwark, Hui Shen, and Andrew Xue.
About Steptoe
In more than 100 years of practice, Steptoe has earned an international reputation for vigorous representation of clients before governmental agencies, successful advocacy in litigation and arbitration, and creative and practical advice in structuring business transactions. Steptoe has more than 500 lawyers and other professional staff across offices in Beijing, Brussels, Chicago, Hong Kong, London, Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, and Washington. For more information, visit www.steptoe.com.
Key word is “recommended”.... we’ll see.

All this about copyright infringements has happened once before.
I don’t see any difference in this case as well.
Check out this old case that was filed back in the days.
I am sure DJI will appeal in this new one as well.
Here is a copy of the first case. Do any of you remember the first case?
Check it out! https://insight.rpxcorp.com/litigation_documents/12105917
That is why we go to Drs when sick and Attorneys when we need to file a patent.
Differences:
Its not COPYRIGHT it is PATENT, very different.
a) This is DJI Suing Autel for different patents they had and they though Autel infringed on. This related to Autel's first commercial drone that looked like a BIG ORANGE PHANTOM
b) This time Autel is suing DJI and has won at least part of it based on parts of the Mavic design substantially matching a patent filed in the US 3 year before the first Mavic was released.

The link in this article references a patent with drawings that are nothing like a Mavic ... ???

They look exactly like a Mavic when you toss out the artistic industry design.
When you read the CLAIMs it talks specifically about arms with motors at the end that fold against the body of the drone. It also references putting the landing supports on the end of the arms for better stability. The list of CLAIMS which is the legal part of a patent after you spend a ton of time EXPLAINING it as patent reviewers are not engineers in your industry and need to be taught enough to compare your claims against existing patents.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mupps64