DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI to stop selling most Mavic due to patent infringement?

They look exactly like a Mavic when you toss out the artistic industry design.
When you read the CLAIMs it talks specifically about arms with motors at the end that fold against the body of the drone. It also references putting the landing supports on the end of the arms for better stability. The list of CLAIMS which is the legal part of a patent after you spend a ton of time EXPLAINING it as patent reviewers are not engineers in your industry and need to be taught enough to compare your claims against existing patents.
If it's that broad-brush, would it be true to say that any manufacturer that employs 4 folding arms on their drone is in trouble?

As large as DJI is and the amount of money they make off all of us, i AM SURE that will pay them off! I think DJI will get in front of this and pay them off since thats peanuts to them.
Does anybody know how much it cost DJI to make the Mavic - less than $100.00 per drone from an inside source who works for DJI.

If it's that broad-brush, would it be true to say that any manufacturer that employs 4 folding arms on their drone is in trouble?
If they that claim has been upheld and they have chosen to enforce it, yes.
Just saying the list of claims covers more than direction keyed bayonet mount.
I have not done a full search to see if there is prior art for some of the claims or any court decisions.

Key word is “recommended”.... we’ll see.
I may have dropped a stitch, but ... a recommendation goes to a decision-maker. Who the heck is that? And what agency would enforces the decisions of that official?

Likely that, given DJI’s market share, there will be an appeal. The article was from March and the DJI Store is unchanged. So it would seem there’s no injunction against DJI. Having been a defendant in a similar type suite.... the appeals could take years easily.... by that time the issue may likely be moot... or Autel could either abandon the suit or let it go dormant if they can’t defend the likely appeal. We’ll see.
I tried to buy a Mini four days ago...the DJI Store is not currently shipping any Minis. I cancelled my order.

I may have dropped a stitch, but ... a recommendation goes to a decision-maker. Who the heck is that? And what agency would enforces the decisions of that official?

The the chief administrative law judge of the ITC recommends it to the full commision of the ITC.
ITC = the US International Trade Commission.
As this is the ITCs chief administrative law judge, there's a good chance his recommendations will be acted on positively for Autel.
Time will tell, not sure how long the process would be, maybe DJI can appeal now, or they might have to wait until the full commission actually takes some steps either way.

This morning, I read something that talked about the suit. I didn't see anywhere that Autel was seeking remedy (or what it would be). The other thing the article talked about was the potential for not only prohibiting the sale but also the operation of DJI products-I'd go with the later is retaliation as DJI is a Chinese company. If that happens, we all own bricks...

This may come as a surprise, but Autel is also Chinese (they downplay it, but check out where they locate their HQ). They're actually based in Shenzen, just like DJI.

I suspect DJI has *far* more usable patents than Autel does as well, so expect this to blow over in some kind of cross-licensing deal (details of which will never be made public) fairly quickly. No way I can see two Chinese companies are going to want - or possibly even be allowed - to spend vast sums of money on US lawyers.

So it's the locking bayonet prop attachment method that they are claiming, which is why the Mini is not included. They are almost certainly looking for a settlement. Now they just need to figure out how to get their own drones to market.
Autell’s drone is a toy compared to DJI drones. Hopefully DJI will prevail because I do not see myself buying anything from Autell

Here's an interesting viewpoint and some clarity on just what the 3 points of patent 'infringement' actually are:

I wasn't aware Autel was a background Chinese company . . .

@zocalo is probably spot on here, no way the CCP will allow this to fester, they virtually are the ultimate corporate directors of pretty much all industry / business over there . . . what their GOVCO wants, they get.
They won't allow 2 Chinese business to descend into a legal abyss.

I suspect DJI has *far* more usable patents than Autel does as well, so expect this to blow over in some kind of cross-licensing deal (details of which will never be made public) fairly quickly. No way I can see two Chinese companies are going to want - or possibly even be allowed - to spend vast sums of money on US lawyers.

The day that DJI can not sell or export any more drones that are affected how are they going to deal with the people that have replacements due and drones already ordered Into the US.

The day that DJI can not sell or export any more drones that are affected how are they going to deal with the people that have replacements due and drones already ordered Into the US.

I wouldn't worry about something that isn't going to happen. These kind of disputes virtually never end in import/sales bans, and that's almost never the goal of the actions. It's just corporate haggling.

Autel just want money and to cripple the far superior competition. Its not abnormal. DJI are going to sell drones and continue to be the best company for drones for a long time.

Couldn't DJI just run the ongoing issue to R&D team and come up with another method of how the props are going to mount?

I tried to buy a Mini four days ago...the DJI Store is not currently shipping any Minis. I cancelled my order.
Im sure theres several places here in the states you can order from. See if Best Buy or DJI drone service have any instock shipping is more to CA but hey if you want one amazon has then too

Except the Mini does not use that patent.
Just went to the DJI store they seemed to have no problem seel me a mini (which I did not buy)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danski_inthe_Sky