DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do i need to register my drone??

You sound like a great guy! I wish I was your friend!

I try to be. But I'm also a realist. I figure if someone wants their drone back they will simply put their name and number on it and I'll contact them. If they expect me to chase my own tail for hours with the FAA then I figure their want for their drone back is less than this effort.

Requirements are different by Country. If you are planning to fly within controlled airspace area - you need to have a license.

Please cite the source that says this is the case. It's my understanding that a hobbyist simply needs to notify the airport that a flight operation will occur....if within five miles of an airport.

I legally got an FAA# put it on my bird along with REWARD and my phone#. If it ever goes down and someone finds it I would pay a reward to get it back. Cheaper than a new one

just got it yesterday read a bunch but still confused i am using it for a hobby.
In NZ no. I am taking my Mavic to Honolulu and Alaska, so I did register with the FAA just to be on the safe side with Americans. You get a registration number which you write on a label and stick it in the battery enclosure. Anyone who says you have to register in NZ is talking through a hole in their head - Fake News

I just went to the FAA site to register (because being able to tell some local cop that "it's FAA registered" seems worth $5 to me). But the site now says "from $5", and after filling out their form the actual charge was going to be $24.95! What's up with that?

I just went to the FAA site to register (because being able to tell some local cop that "it's FAA registered" seems worth $5 to me). But the site now says "from $5", and after filling out their form the actual charge was going to be $24.95! What's up with that?
You went to a 3rd party rip off site, not FAA.gov

Reactions: gjhick
Yup, you are correct, tcope! (I didn't pay them though, so that scam was only semi-successful).

Interestingly, at the real FAA site, the registration is for the person not the drone. I paid $5 a while ago for my Phantom, and there's nothing on the certificate (valid until 03/19) saying anything about the drone model.

Yup, you are correct, tcope! (I didn't pay them though, so that scam was only semi-successful).

Interestingly, at the real FAA site, the registration is for the person not the drone. I paid $5 a while ago for my Phantom, and there's nothing on the certificate (valid until 03/19) saying anything about the drone model.
You don't register a drone. You register yourself and all your drones use the same registration.

For anyone else reading along, you can register for $5 on the FAA's website here.

You don't register a drone. You register yourself and all your drones use the same registration.

True if you are flying for hobby... well it used to be. You no longer *have* to register with the FAA for hobby use. You*do* have to register each drone with the FAA if you will fly for any commercial purposes.

True if you are flying for hobby... well it used to be. You no longer *have* to register with the FAA for hobby use. You*do* have to register each drone with the FAA if you will fly for any commercial purposes.
True, but mandatory registration for hobby use is coming back. Congress has authorized the legislation.

Reactions: jorn

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1