DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do i need to register my drone??

Requirements are different by Country. If you are planning to fly within controlled airspace area - you need to have a license.

Last edited:
The latest information can be found on the FAA's website here. Also, John Taylor (the guy who took the FAA to court) keeps a log of the case status here.

I did it because its only $5 for 3 years.. I would recommend it even if its not required anymore.

Reactions: MKAL
I've been studying for the sUAS test. Being "stuck" at the Auto Shop for 4 1/2 hours last week enabled me to get thru the first two chapters of the Airman's "Bible".
I am finding the process self accessing, making me more serious about the "Hobby" which is currently exclusively MAVIC PRO. BTW my study has had a positive side effect. I am becoming a more patient Automobile Driver. Macho(ness), Impulsivity and "IT won't happen to me" are some "unconscious" behaviors I am guilty of and been made aware of. I'm working at tempering these impulses. And as I said, credit is due to the MP and the good advise provided by members of the Forum
If I ever feel confident enough, I intend to take the test for certification.
I wish to thank members of this Forum who have encouraged me to become a more responsible "pilot".
My Registration will remain in effect on a voluntary basis.

Reactions: c36steve
Well, for one thing it makes it easier to identify the PIC (Pilot in Command) should a serious event such as a "fly away" occurs. Most pilots do already put some identification on their Mavic. This supplements that but it also provides the "finder" with the Knowledge that the PIC is responsible enough to register his/her UAS with the FAA. This promotes more widespread acceptance of UAS's by the general public, admittedly an important step in promoting allies in the evolving UAS saga. It also subtlety keeps the PIC "honest". and therefore promotes safer flying.
There is a growing awareness by the general public of our Great Hobby. Unfortunately much of the attention, prompted by news articles, is steered to the negative. We do make our own case for acceptance past multi layers of stereotypical distrust.
I should have noted that FAA reg. does not supplant other identification modes, quite necessary if one is expecting a "finder" to return the UAS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mavic_Pete
Well, for one thing it makes it easier to identify the PIC (Pilot in Command) should a serious event such as a "fly away" occurs. Most pilots do already put some identification on their Mavic. This supplements that but it also provides the "finder" with the Knowledge that the PIC is responsible enough to register his/her UAS with the FAA. This promotes more widespread acceptance of UAS's by the general public, admittedly an important step in promoting allies in the evolving UAS saga. It also subtlety keeps the PIC "honest". and therefore promotes safer flying.

There is nothing to support that view at all. No one has _ever_ found drone and submitted it to the FAA to be matched to the owner. Never.

If I placed my name and phone number on my drone it can be traced right back to me. I'm showing the world that I owe that drone and that it can easily be traced right back to me. That does exactly what you mentioned... and really more. It tells that person who is holding the drone who I am. The FAA registration just shows them a number that may or may not be valid. No one has ever found out. It could simply be a group of random numbers that someone put on the drone. The person who finds the drone does not know. So it's, "this is who I am" vs just a number on a drone.

Reactions: atlasx2001
I recommend it for identification and it's a piece of mind thing for me. I just spent $1800 on my whole set up. What's $5 for 3 years? Why are we arguing over $5? If you dont want it don't do it. I bought a custom sticker set and included drone name, FAA #s, reward and phone number stickers, and battery numbers. It definitely doesn't hurt anything to have yourself registered. "No one has _ever_found drone and submitted it to the FAA to be matched to the owner. Never." This is 1000000% a false statement.

"The agency said that local authorities, using the federal registration numbers on crashed drones, have been able to trace the identify of operators in a handful of enforcement cases."

Article also goes on to say...
"The ruling is likely to pull Congress into legislating the matter, a process that could either lead to a relatively simple fix or open the door to broader debates.

Sen. Mark R. Warner (D-Va.), a proponent of unmanned technologies, said he expects Congress to take up the ruling in the coming months.

“With the unmanned aerial industry growing at such a rapid clip, we need some basic rules of the road in place sooner rather than later,” Warner said. The registration process was “a reasonable step,” he said."

John Taylor fought the FAA over registering drones. And won. But now what?

I recommend it for identification and it's a piece of mind thing for me. I just spent $1800 on my whole set up. What's $5 for 3 years? Why are we arguing over $5? If you dont want it don't do it. I bought a custom sticker set and included drone name, FAA #s, reward and phone number stickers, and battery numbers. It definitely doesn't hurt anything to have yourself registered. "No one has _ever_found drone and submitted it to the FAA to be matched to the owner. Never." This is 1000000% a false statement.

"The agency said that local authorities, using the federal registration numbers on crashed drones, have been able to trace the identify of operators in a handful of enforcement cases."

Hah. Fake news. Couldn't resist sorry.

Anyway, you have a point on the overall cost is low but Im not seeing the value. I have no real issue on getting a license and such. I do this for driving, fishing, etc... I get some value out of those. I will likely just register when I start flying out of visual range.

Article also goes on to say...
"The ruling is likely to pull Congress into legislating the matter, a process that could either lead to a relatively simple fix or open the door to broader debates.

While you did not provide a source for your quote, it appears to come from the Washington Post.

I stand corrected. The actual info is that the FAA has never used the registration to enforce existing regulations.

You recommend registration so that the drone can be matched to the owner. So the person finding the drone would need to get the information to the FAA and then hope that the FAA tells the owner about the person who finds it so that the owner can contact that person.

Or, the owner could simply put their name and number on the drone and the person can call them directly.

If I found someone's drone and had to notify the FAA and wait for them to perhaps tell the owner.... the UAV is going into the trash. I'm not going to take hours of my time on the hope that the FAA _might_ notify the owner of my info.

If I found someone's drone and had to notify the FAA and wait for them to perhaps tell the owner.... the UAV is going into the trash. I'm not going to take hours of my time on the hope that the FAA _might_ notify the owner of my info.

You sound like a great guy! I wish I was your friend!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CorvusWorks