DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you use apps to notify the faa about your flights?

I've got heliports all around me. I've never called them and I very rarely ever see helicopters, and have never while flying my MP. I downloaded AirMap, B4YouFly and UAV Forcast. They all seem to have different flight restrictions in different areas. But I prefer the UVA Forcast app. It gives wind speeds at the altitude you choose. I have mine set at 350 feet to see how winds are up there. Very nice tool since some days it's fairly still on the ground and breezy up high.

Sent from my SM-N920P using MavicPilots mobile app

Reactions: Native Hawk eye
Sounds like what most people do regrading heliports that are not used regularly. The only reason I brought it up because the FAA made a 5 mile radius around all airports which includes Heliports.

I have used most of those apps I just started using AIRMAP seems like a good app so far. I do like UAV Forecast to get wind speeds at higher altitudes.

Question on Heliports.
If its a Hospital heliport do you still need to call them everytime I fly?
Is it safe to fly just using the FAA requirements, staying below 400 Ft and so on?

Only reason I ask there is a Hospital Heliport about 2 miles from my house.

Airports is the key. There are many Heliports with no tower or contact etc. You are only required to notify if someone is available. Personally if it's one heliport or a heliport that's used by a steel mill or private don't worry. You'll never gain contact. Hospitals ehhh I wouldn't want to advise but usually they are on roofs.

Stick to Airports and keep your altitude low if around a Heliport. The airport is the only 100% required and even some private airports are unmanned. If your near an unmanned airport then go 5 miles out or just fly and be cautious. These are more of guidelines if contact isn't possible your not breaking the law.

Personally all airports I'm getting away from. Heliports I'm not too worried about. I've seen them active since 1988 without a single flight lol.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Reactions: GhostRider
Sounds like what most people do regrading heliports that are not used regularly. The only reason I brought it up because the FAA made a 5 mile radius around all airports which includes Heliports.

I have used most of those apps I just started using AIRMAP seems like a good app so far. I do like UAV Forecast to get wind speeds at higher altitudes.

You can filter out heliports. I would but just check to make sure your not flying on top of one etc.

Thanks for those apps. AirMap looks awesome and will start using it. Since I have my Part 107 I usually do a NOTAM as well if I"m going to be in an area for long.
spiderpig I'm part 107 also and Airmap is indeed a very good app. It is more like an actual sectional chart than anything I've yet seen. It seems to be up to date with all class B,C,D,and E, airspace and their respective shapes relative to surface.

Question on Heliports.
If its a Hospital heliport do you still need to call them everytime I fly?
Is it safe to fly just using the FAA requirements, staying below 400 Ft and so on?

Only reason I ask there is a Hospital Heliport about 2 miles from my house.

Yes. I have a hospital / heliport in my area and I called them to say I was flying my drone. The guy told me to hold on, he checked for inbound flights and confirmed that none were coming. He said, "thanks" for calling in. He advised to be aware because the helicopters can be deployed randomly as needed. Best to call.

Yes. I have a hospital / heliport in my area and I called them to say I was flying my drone. The guy told me to hold on, he checked for inbound flights and confirmed that none were coming. He said, "thanks" for calling in. He advised to be aware because the helicopters can be deployed randomly as needed. Best to call.

Yeah! I'd assume most hospitals will have someone. But again all heliports by me nobody I know one isn't even used lol. So don't stress yourself on it. Just don't be dumb and fly to 400 ft in front of it.

Best App is B4UFly or AirMap. AirMap gives telephone numbers. B4UFLY is FAA although I filter out heliports and filter them back in and make a judgement call for those. I also don't go near them. The real issue is the Airports small ones won't have anyone and large ones well your stupid to be within 5 miles of one. Planes can't control on descent to avoid collisions. Helicopters have more mobility and the only time you'll see one at 400 feet is if it's landing. Rarely will one be outside of a helipad at that altitude.

So don't go crazy avoid them if possible but don't light up your phone like a call center if you have 4 heliports etc. I'd call the hospitals. But then again I'm staying away from them. Use judgement and be smart. It's best to call. But with the amount of drones going up and calls they will eventually get it'll all change lol.

So for short.

I avoid airports and hospitals. Not going to bother. I'd call the hospital if I wanted a shot. The airport. Well I don't plan on the shot. For me I'd rather not be in the situation of crossing paths with an inbound plane. Bye bye Drones if the accidents go up.

Being aware is half of it. So at the very least I'd check the B4UFly app.

DJI is also working with the FAA on zones etc. You'll see them on DJI GO. As time goes on like I said it'll change.

DJI also has you submit an authorization for certain areas and flight capability may be reduced. So like I said. It'll get handled. The FAA only issued 27k in fines last year with 500,000 registered users. Each user can face a fine up to 25k. So that tells you right away they don't have the regulations figured out yet. Eventually hospitals may be a no go period etc. when the fines go up and they charge more which they will it's because they have a handle on it and you'll know more yourself.

Keywords "Be Smart, Use Best Judgment, Know the Law"

GPS and the drones limitation to 400 FT saved these things. Below Radar and Air Traffic. So for the most part your safe. Heliports you wouldn't need 5 miles from anyways as they land vertically.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great insight as for now I will let it be. Airports on the other hand I would call but luckly none near me. Thumbswayup

Yea that airmaps app is sick. It actually shows aircraft in the area. You get notification and a visual. Im assuming youd need to have a second device running the app since it needs network. If you fly on airplane mode that is.. This is critical here in the everglades with all the small planes flying low. Nice to be able to see them on the map.

Sent from my LGMS550 using MavicPilots mobile app

I worry about flying on the beach due to the high number of small crafts with banners and helicopters here in South Florida. This app im using sends you notifications of nearby aircraft but it doesnt show them on the map. Would be helpfull to have.

Would you mind telling me what app you use

Wow. I live near a hospital with a helipad and the b4ufly app says i need to notify them. Lets see how that goes. I do think its important for us to follow the rules so we dont end up getting more rules. The point of this is to be safe and enjoy the flight without worring about a badge showing up and you have nothing to say. I do think its a bit inconvenient to have to call and check in but its for the best. Here are a few of my apps and you'll also see the notification sent to me by this app.

Please tell me you didn't watch that stupid TV show where the Helicopter crashes into the Drone and it causes a Irwin Allen scale disaster/loss of life at the hospital beneath it.

Ask a chopper pilot (not on the 6:00 news) if your Mavic could down his Huey or w/e and he will laugh at you.
As for planes...lol

You could maybe disable a R22 with an inspire, but those guys use the same flight rules pretty much.

Yea that airmaps app is sick. It actually shows aircraft in the area. You get notification and a visual. Im assuming youd need to have a second device running the app since it needs network. If you fly on airplane mode that is.. This is critical here in the everglades with all the small planes flying low. Nice to be able to see them on the map.

So I've had Airmap for a while but never seen any flights on the screen. And I live in Memphis just outside the 5 mile hobby radius (but still in enhanced class B to the surface for 107) so there is always air traffic.

So I signed up yesterday and made an account, even made a short fake flight. I still didn't see any traffic.

Wonder if it doesn't use national airspace data and is just crowd sourced via its own app as I was asked to share my flight on Airmap. Any thoughts?

So I've had Airmap for a while but never seen any flights on the screen. And I live in Memphis just outside the 5 mile hobby radius (but still in enhanced class B to the surface for 107) so there is always air traffic.

So I signed up yesterday and made an account, even made a short fake flight. I still didn't see any traffic.

Wonder if it doesn't use national airspace data and is just crowd sourced via its own app as I was asked to share my flight on Airmap. Any thoughts?

I believe AirMap works on just low level aircraft.
Not typical commercial anything below 500 Ft. I believe.

Reactions: Intrglctcrevfnk
Wow. I live near a hospital with a helipad and the b4ufly app says i need to notify them. Lets see how that goes. I do think its important for us to follow the rules so we dont end up getting more rules. The point of this is to be safe and enjoy the flight without worring about a badge showing up and you have nothing to say. I do think its a bit inconvenient to have to call and check in but its for the best. Here are a few of my apps and you'll also see the notification sent to me by this app.
d17a468c0d26daed37a0f817c1cef287.jpg

Let me know how the copter pad call works out as i am also in the same situation

d17a468c0d26daed37a0f817c1cef287.jpg

So that's why I kept getting that message thank you this explains a lot

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: Native Hawk eye
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member