DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you write or stick your personal info to Mavic aircraft?

It's not like all labels are 70mgrams, but anyhow. Keep in mind that there's people out there (myself included) who do fly a lot in second and third world countries. And if I lost my drone/iPhone/Rolex in any of them, I wouldn't expect it back, no matter how many tags I put on them.

I’d advise just putting one tag (or label) on your drone. I can’t see any reason to put on multiple tags. I don’t understand your comment about third world countries. I can’t see why you’d be any less likely to get it back. Your mobile number might not be enough, as the dialling code might not make sense. But in those circumstances, you could write your surname and the hotel you’re staying at. Or whatever contact arrangements are relevant at the time.

Either way, the fact that you sometimes visit other countries doesn’t preclude you from using your mobile number when you’re in your home country. The point is largely irrelevant.

Reactions: Scobo and jcp411
I’d advise just putting one tag (or label) on your drone. I can’t see any reason to put on multiple tags. I don’t understand your comment about third world countries. I can’t see why you’d be any less likely to get it back. Your mobile number might not be enough, as the dialling code might not make sense. But in those circumstances, you could write your surname and the hotel you’re staying at. Or whatever contact arrangements are relevant at the time.

Either way, the fact that you sometimes visit other countries doesn’t preclude you from using your mobile number when you’re in your home country. The point is largely irrelevant.

I think what he's trying to say is that your chances of retrieving a lost object in a third world country are really slim. Having lived in a third world country for half my life, I can attest that this is true. And it's not because the people in those countries are inherently evil.

Remember that you don't need to register your drone if you're a hobbyist.
your not registering your drone per-Se....you as an individual are registering. The FAA # you receive goes on any UAV you fly and the FAA has no record of your specific drone as this information is not provided in the registration process. However, you are correct, that if you are only a hobbyist, it is no longer required to register (for now)

It's not like all labels are 70mgrams, but anyhow. Keep in mind that there's people out there (myself included) who do fly a lot in second and third world countries. And if I lost my drone/iPhone/Rolex in any of them, I wouldn't expect it back, no matter how many tags I put on them.

You'd not expect it back.... but it very well could happen. I can guarantee you one thing... your chances are a _lot_ lower if you don't put anything on the drone (they are actually 0%... I've done the math). I'll go with at least some odds of return if it costs be absolutely nothing.

Personally, I've gone out of my way to find the owner of several objects I've found over the years. In one case, I heard of someone that I've never met from another country loosing their Fitbit near my home and I went out and spent nearly an hour searching for it. Eventually found it and mailed it to them. Most people would do the same, but I'm not under the illusion that everybody will.

One of my other hobbies is Geocaching, where you hide containers (most of mine are out in the woods) and people go search for them using GPS receivers. While I've had people stumble upon them unknowingly that have done nothing more than sign the log book and re-hide the container, it is very common for people to find them by accident and take them, tear them up, or through them away. This is despite the fact that they are clearly marked describing what they are.

The point is, there are people out there that aren't interested in returning something they find to its owner. Some just don't care. Others are more concerned about what's in it for them. Adding a note about a possible reward might be just enough to get those people to make the call. And since you need it back in order to use Care Refresh, it just might save you several hundred dollars for a new Mavic.

Reactions: jcp411
1-2 grams?

There have been several posts on these forums from people who have found a drone, found the website, signed up in order to post and posted a message to try to find the owner. People return stuff all of the time that they find, especially it it's easy to find the person (phone number).

Question... if you found a drone with a phone number in it, would you call the owner and return it without the offer of a reward?

I would definitely call the owner an not expect anything for my honesty...I would even go as far to refuse a reward. My reward is the happiness of a fellow human being... That’s priceless

My 5cm x 1cm label weighs 42 milligrammes, for those who were fretting about putting too much extra strain on the Mavic. [emoji849]

FAA# and phone# with one word “REWARD”. If you fly responsibly, losing a drone is not a crime. Besides, you need a carcass for DJI refresh.
Same as me and I've had 2 returned to me over the years. One from the bottom of a Colorado lake.

As Name, Phone # .. Etc on the aircraft for just in case something wrong happens ... or do you prefer to be anonymous?

Yes my name and mobile number are in the battery compartment.

Reactions: jcp411 and facasi
Name and Mobile phone number. Dont see any reason that you can't identify who you are on the drone if it is found. Use label maker as it is waterproof and I mark my drone on the outside, under the battery and on the batteries , just in case.

Reactions: facasi
I put a QR code sticker on the nose. When scanned, it will generate a text message addressed to my cellphone that says "I found your drone." Finder just has to click Send to claim reward.

Name and phone number, yes. Of course I want my Mavic back if someone find it. QR code looks great too definitely gonna check our later.

I put a QR code sticker on the nose. When scanned, it will generate a text message addressed to my cellphone that says "I found your drone." Finder just has to click Send to claim reward.
I'd have to download a QR reader in order to scan. A phone number... I could dial without the need to download anything (or send a text to it). I'd still download the app... but for me, a phone number would be easier. if my parents found your drone.... you'd never get it back with just a QR code.

My 5cm x 1cm label weighs 42 milligrammes, for those who were fretting about putting too much extra strain on the Mavic. [emoji849]

So, if 740g Mavic can fly for about 1500 seconds, the flight time will be reduced by about 1500*0.042/740s, or 85 milliseconds! At 64km/h, that's the whole 1.5m! This can make a difference between landing on the shore, for example, and in the water!

Reactions: Huddy
I have “my” phone number on the inside of one of the front arms, printed in gold ink with an Epson label maker.

But rather than use my personal cell number I used a free Google Voice number that redirects to my cell.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danski_inthe_Sky