DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does anyone think that DJI may produce more than the one camera system for the Mavic 3 down the road?

cgmaxed

Reactions
I was thinking that DJI may have plans to develop other cameras for the Mavic 3 Drone Body. The drone itself, minus the camera, is the best performing folding drone they have ever produced. Perhaps, by making alternative Mavic 3's with different cameras, they could increase sales. I doubt they will produce cameras that could be swapped between drone bodies. They never have done that with their consumer folding drones, and I don't expect them to. But maybe they will produce some alternative Mavic 3s with 4/3 cmos sensors, but maybe 6k and 8k versions with digital zoom only. Or, maybe one that is a primary telephoto camera with a 1 inch cmos sensor. Any one want to comment. Just curious.

Of course they will but it won't work with the Mavic 3, it will be called Mavic 4. Why do I say this well I have a closet full of version 1 dji things that were incrementally upgraded to work with new drones and never made compatible via firmware upgrades to work with the new offerings.

I was thinking that DJI may have plans to develop other cameras for the Mavic 3 Drone Body. The drone itself, minus the camera, is the best performing folding drone they have ever produced. Perhaps, by making alternative Mavic 3's with different cameras, they could increase sales. I doubt they will produce cameras that could be swapped between drone bodies. They never have done that with their consumer folding drones, and I don't expect them to. But maybe they will produce some alternative Mavic 3s with 4/3 cmos sensors, but maybe 6k and 8k versions with digital zoom only. Or, maybe one that is a primary telephoto camera with a 1 inch cmos sensor. Any one want to comment. Just curious.
I saw I believe on either Dronedj,or dronexL of A DJI roadmap ,talk of a mavic 3 with a 1" sensor on top,and a 4/3rds
sensor on the bottom.This new mavic 3 could be released in 2023.It is said that experiments are taking place with this
setup.I really don't know how that could work.But I guess if anyone could figure out how to make it work it would be DJI.
I may be wrong with the experiments on this setup,but I'm sure I saw it somewhere.

I just went back and found that M3 article on DroneXL,saying it is already in development stages.
This may come out in 2023 not a for sure.Also with O4 occusync ,and 4G connectivity.Sounds kinda
far fetched but who knows.
Have a good day

I guess, with shortages in semiconducters etc., it all depends on the competition if DJI needs to stay on top or not if we will see updates like a 3S, 3 Pro, etc.

Lineup most probably with Mini, Air, Mavic, Inspire is here to stay.

I guess, with shortages in semiconducters etc., it all depends on the competition if DJI needs to stay on top or not if we will see updates like a 3S, 3 Pro, etc.

Lineup most probably with Mini, Air, Mavic, Inspire is here to stay.
What you mentioned,would make a lot of sense.

Well, they are leaving a giant hole in the marketplace their competitors are going to fill because they didn’t finish the P5.

As of now the only drone they make with a good sensor and interchangeable lenses is the I2, which is big and bulky and hard to transport, and just too much drone for many people and situations.

It’s highly unlikely we will ever see a Mavic airframe with a camera that sports interchangeable lenses, the design of the drone is too compact to support that. The Phantom is way way smaller then an I2 but big enough to support a 4/3rds camera with interchangeable lenses which DJI has already proven. DJI already made the P5 complete with interchangeable lenses but choose not to finish its development and instead focused on the Mavic, that left the door open for their competitors to fill the gap. DJI won’t like that gap being open.

I expect they will now focus on filling that gap before they make an M4. They may return now to the development of a P5 with the 4/3rds sensor and interchangeable lenses, they need to build something smaller then the I2 but with more capable camera system then the Mavic. You go from this huge Inspire to this tiny Mavic with nothing in between, if DJI doesn’t fill that gap their competitors will, and already have, but their development isn’t complete yet. I would rather sacrifice the advantage of a compact folding drone for a much better versatile camera system in a Phantom type airframe.

I saw I believe on either Dronedj,or dronexL of A DJI roadmap ,talk of a mavic 3 with a 1" sensor on top,and a 4/3rds
sensor on the bottom.This new mavic 3 could be released in 2023.It is said that experiments are taking place with this
setup.I really don't know how that could work.But I guess if anyone could figure out how to make it work it would be DJI.
I may be wrong with the experiments on this setup,but I'm sure I saw it somewhere.
I know where! In a dream. A nice, happy dream, where all the best tech works beautifully, right out of the box, and a 1" Sensor camera, stacked on top of a 4/3rds setup fits on a Mavic 3 airframe without being even more exposed than the current gimbal is to damage. Nothing wrong with dreaming... its the first step of creation. I myself leas a rich fantasy life regarding tech availability, though this particular creation hasn't made an appearance. Yet. I almost wonder if DJI's experiment in multi camera drones is because a swappable Gimbal setup would be following Autel, vs. leading. There's a lot abouts Autel that might be irksome to DJI, but I still would have preferred a swappable imaging package. DJI could have made the data connection less delicate, more field swappable for end users. A twist-lock gimbal replacement is the star of my dream sequence. My inner geek is showing 😳

My prediction was that the M3 would be a hybrid Phantom+Mavic aircraft. They came so close, but I will still be flying my Phantom 4 Pro for a while until they release the M3-Pro or M3-Enterprise with a camera better suited for tasks like mapping and using the GO-4 app.

I know where! In a dream. A nice, happy dream, where all the best tech works beautifully, right out of the box, and a 1" Sensor camera, stacked on top of a 4/3rds setup fits on a Mavic 3 airframe without being even more exposed than the current gimbal is to damage. Nothing wrong with dreaming... its the first step of creation. I myself leas a rich fantasy life regarding tech availability, though this particular creation hasn't made an appearance. Yet. I almost wonder if DJI's experiment in multi camera drones is because a swappable Gimbal setup would be following Autel, vs. leading. There's a lot abouts Autel that might be irksome to DJI, but I still would have preferred a swappable imaging package. DJI could have made the data connection less delicate, more field swappable for end users. A twist-lock gimbal replacement is the star of my dream sequence. My inner geek is showing 😳
I know what you are saying.I kinda wonder in a way if DJI on the M3 should have maybe just stuck with the 4/3rds sensor.instead
of having the zoom camera also.Interesting times ahead.
I want to upgrade from my mavic air 2,which is a good drone,and has treated me well so far.But I am looking for a model with a bigger sensor
The air2s was my first thought,but how much more am I getting from what I have currently.So maybe that only leaves one choice for me.
Probably M3,but that price ick.

Reactions: Chrislaf
Put this in perspective, do you think DJI didn’t give the M3 optical zoom because the technology isn’t here yet, what are the chances the M3 has no optical zoom was done deliberately? DJI already built the P5 with interchangeable lenses, why do you think they choose not to mass produce it? They built the camera, built the lenses... then abandoned that project 3 years ago.

DJI could easily build the drone we all want, they refuse to, because they want you to buy 3 drones and cart them around all over the place... their entire marketing strategy completely defeats the purpose of making a compact foldable drone lol, because you need three drones with you.

Difficult to predict.

On one hand customers aren't that happy with the image quality of the Mavic 3, basically because of the lens. And there is the scratching issue with the gimbal design too.
Personally I don't understand why they went with this dual camera in one body design, because the lens of the M43 main camera has to be much more compact than it would has to be with only a single camera.
It is what it is.

But this opens a door for improvement, by relasing a version with a single M43 camera, using the remaining space and the save in weight to provide the camera with a higher quality lens. On the other hand would this upset current customers, so it's not very likely for DJI to go this route. But they could release a 1" camera with a zoom lens for example. Time will tell....

Last edited:
Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Difficult to predict.

On one hand customers aren't that happy with the image quality of the Mavic 3, basically because of the lens. And there is the scratching issue with the gimbal design too.
Personally I don't understand why they went with this dual camera in one body design, because the lens of the M43 main camera has to be much more compact than it would has to be with only a single camera.
It is what it is.

But this opens a door for improvement, by relasing a version with a single M43 camera, using the remaining space and the save in weight to provide the camera with a higher quality lens. On the other hand would this upset current customers, so it's not very likely for DJI to go this route. But they could release a 1" camera with a zoom lens for example. Time will tell....
This is a good starting point with the M3,but I still think maybe they should go back to a single sensor camera.
I wonder if it is possible with the current size of the two camera housing to make a good quality lens ,maybe even larger
than a 4/3rds sensor.Were the gimbal scrathes caused by the rear holding legs rubbing against the gimbal arm.on the one
youtube photo I saw.Or maybe this is something else I did not hear about.Interesting times ahead.
Have a good day.

I'd like to see an OPTICAL zoom on a Mavic. There are several tiny cameras available with fantastic zoom ranges! A Mavic with 1" sensor with 3X optical zoom shouldn't be too much of a challenge....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smittysflying