DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does Mavic Shoot Video or Watercolor Paintings? Don’t settle. Get Involved!

I had this issue shooting a project in Costa Rica. Going from 4k to 2.7k was the solution. the issue was all in the blacks/dark greens of the jungle. I take it by this thread that the problem in 4k isnt being solved.

Interesting. I still tend to get the effect shooting at 2.7k and +1 sharpening. Seems that it's just something with this camera. It's frustrating because often times you can't see it on an ipad out in the field. It's only when you get home on a larger monitor that you notice it. By then it's too late to try to adjust exposure around it or try to compose in a way to work around it.

I guess I’m one of the folks without the camera issue. Latest firmware 01.04.0000, +1, 0, 0, d-cinelog

9af83e167bdd90b8fa79c8d6e44c6818.jpg

18078c3341ddcd631d12cd8f202de8ad.jpg

I guess I’m one of the folks without the camera issue. Latest firmware, +1, 0, 0, d-cinelog

9af83e167bdd90b8fa79c8d6e44c6818.jpg

18078c3341ddcd631d12cd8f202de8ad.jpg

You don't have it because you use sharpness =+1. Try it at -1 film trees and report your results

Reactions: Brojon
This was on .900 with -1, -1, -1. I do remember seeing it sometimes when it was set like that but rarely. Then I started playing around with settings and don’t see it anymore. Only saw it in photos. Videos have never seemed to be an issue.

7997aecb326291137c9c164c66797da5.jpg

This was on .900 with -1, -1, -1. I do remember seeing it sometimes when it was set like that but rarely. Then I started playing around with settings and don’t see it anymore. Only saw it in photos. Videos have never seemed to be an issue.

7997aecb326291137c9c164c66797da5.jpg
if you could get closer to the trees, so we can see leaves, that would be when you can really see the mudiness.

The question is if any new firmware allows sharpness below +1 without creating watercolor. The hope is DJI will eventually figure this out so we don't have oversharp, noisy, aliasing images.
DJIs other quads don't have a problem using 0 or even -1

Reactions: RitterRunkel
I honestly dont think which settings work, and which do not are that cut and dry. This is with sharpness at +1 , all else being default. There was plenty of light. That is not the issue. There is no rhyme or reason to what works on my Mavic. I got one flight where the effect was significantly reduced after messing with settings...and I have no idea what made it better. But the next flight....back again. And when the Bob Ross effect was minimal, there were many other issues. All in all, its been a really, really crappy camera.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    4.4 MB · Views: 90
Reactions: RitterRunkel
Has there been a fix for this? My mavic is doing this now even with the sharpness set at +1. The trees on the right look all muddy....Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 10.15.30 PM.png

Has there been a fix for this? My mavic is doing this now even with the sharpness set at +1. The trees on the right look all muddy....View attachment 22668

Looks under exposed. The DJI encoder has a relatively high “floor” threshold letting details get dropped unless there is sufficient contrast and luminosity. I shoot Dlog with 2-1-0 setting. If I have diffused lighting I use 2-2-1. 2160p-24fps results are quite good. Using Resolve Studio helps to get good grading and lots of temporal noise reduction.

Has there been a fix for this? My mavic is doing this now even with the sharpness set at +1. The trees on the right look all muddy....View attachment 22668
Heres the deal. All the -1 sharpness stuff is true. If you want your picture to not be so "Video Sharp" you can always achieve that in post. Also the underexposed coments are very true as low light is not the mavics friend. Heres what I now know many months later. I like 5 or six colleges having the same problem sent theres back for new one and the problem was either gone or significantly minimized. I myself sent my back and they claimed that they "fix the camera sensor" a $250 repair free of charge. When, in fact they simple reached into a random box of returns and refurbs and sent me a different Mavic. That too had the same issue causing me to start this thread (and many others). After I complained enough, they gave me my money back where I simply went out and bought a brand new one and, problem fixed! Look I shoot both a PH4P and an Inspire 2 so I am very aware that it's still not the best camera in the world. But if you want to see the difference. I have posed a BEFORE frame from a very well exposed shot that has little to no clear detail and is exactly what I call the "painting effect". and a link to a recent AFTER video less expossed and equally if not more busy in detail and it is more than acceptable. Conclusion, there are people not using their setting properly, under exposing and not focusing, And there are those of us that simple got a bad Mavic

Mavic-Video-Frame.png

Link to After movie.

Reactions: Davey
Is the crap going on in this video what everyone is talking about in this thread? This is one of the first videos I had shot since last June. When I fired it up last week, I had a firmware update.. I don't remember this stupid s**t happening earlier in the year. This was shot with an ND16, D-log, -1,-2,-2 I believe...1/60, 30fps ISO100... I've since changed literally everything.. d-cinelike.. 0 to +1 on sharpness... reset camera settings... maybe this was always there and I just never noticed..

Is the crap going on in this video what everyone is talking about in this thread? This is one of the first videos I had shot since last June. When I fired it up last week, I had a firmware update.. I don't remember this stupid s**t happening earlier in the year. This was shot with an ND16, D-log, -1,-2,-2 I believe...1/60, 30fps ISO100... I've since changed literally everything.. d-cinelike.. 0 to +1 on sharpness... reset camera settings... maybe this was always there and I just never noticed..

Hard to tell conclusively as the youtube compression is hurting it as well, but my guess is yes. Not only because of the detail issue, but what uyou said about firmware. This started for me after a firware upgrade. I upgraded, shot a good clip, then messed with the camera settings and the next clip was unwatchable, so I did a camera reset and it got better, then went back to dlog 0,-2-2 and it gave me the watercolor that I posted above. I finally (as suggested by another user) did a factory reset on the entire bird using the asistant soft ware and it did the trick, for about a month. Anyway I sent it back, they sent me a new one and I have had no trouble since. Also I do think that I see the issue in your second video as well. There is just an overall lack of sharpness in the trees. I think a couple of stops up on your exposure would have helped, but not sure if that is the only thing going on here.

BTW I really enjoy your liberal use of panning while flying in your videos. Too many people just fly in a straight line. Curious, are you using course lock or are you free sticking it? My best advice to you would be, if you really enjoy shooting aerial footage and as it appears that you have some skill, if you have the cash get yourself a Phantom 4 pro. The footage will blow you away in comparision. I now use the Mavic only for tight spaces and of course when carring a bigger bird is impractical. If you look at my real, more than 50% of it was shot on the origina Phantom 4 (not even a pro) and I am very happy with most of it.

Keep flying and please keep us posted on your Mavic experience.

Hi,

I may have overseen a thread where the 50/60p mode is still the main topic. Actually, if anyone here is still interested in using 1080/60p or 1080/50p: DJI got it fixed... well for some Mavics. Obviously the newer models have a new chip and can record 50p/60p without the Bob Ross/Watercolor Pixel binning effect. Unfortunatly the older ones (mine is from November 2016) can't.

But the new Mavic Platinum is now also capable of shooting the full frame rate.

As far as I could see, the Platinum still needs the +1 sharpness - so DJI hasn't changed anything there.

Has anyone who experienced these water color, oil painting, some areas of image not focused, weird artifact noise compression issues even at ISO 100 upgraded to Mavic Platinum? Is issue still in Platinum series? I sold my Pro for all those reasons, I really want to get a Platinum if issues have been resolved.

I have the MPP.

It’s the same camera so problem is still there.

Thank goodness they allow raw for stills as none of this issue is in raw dng files.

But video it’s often an issue worse it seems with ND filters. You have to change the sharpness settings under style or the effect is quite noticeable.

The Mavic Air reportedly doesn’t have this issue so DJI revisited the noise reduction algorithm for jpgs and video. Too bad they won’t rework the Mavic PP.

Paul Caldwell

Reactions: dv8ed
I have the MPP.
The Mavic Air reportedly doesn’t have this issue so DJI revisited the noise reduction algorithm for jpgs and video.

Yes I have Air doesn't have this issue image is sharp everywhere. At 400ft I can still hear Air since it's much louder also no OccuSync miss it a lot.

It's funny why DJI just can put it all together into one package. I would never leave OccuSync, just love it for both range and Video transmission.

I guess there will be an improvement with the follow on to the MPP, but as the current line, a good programmer should be able to fix the issue within 1 hour. The camera in the Air and Pro are the same so a firmware update should be possible. I realize the processor cards are different, so maybe nothing can be done but I do find it a bit hard to believe. Spark has same issue also.

Paul Caldwell

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UR7CR