DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pro Drone catches surfing legend Laird Hamilton riding ‘longest wave in the world’

Was the surfboard motorized, I never seen one like that. ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Capture the Storm.
I think it's just the 'whale-tail' ( my name for it) under the board as seen @ 3:13. It give a much smoother ride.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Was the surfboard motorized, I never seen one like that. ?

Phantomrain.org
It’s a foil board, like a hydrofoil. From the article “foils he rides at Chicama – an underwater attachment that captures maximal wave power, and lifts the rider above the surface of the wave.”

That was a GREAT video. Thank you for finding it and sharing it. WOW :)

Awesome, thanks for sharing!

I was just in Hood River, OR and its known as the wind surfing capital of the world (don't know if its true) but all the wind surfers and kite surfers have those foils under their boards its pretty awesome to watch looks like they are floating over the water. I was talking to some of the surfers and they were saying some of those foils can add $5000 to the coast of the board.

I think it's just the 'whale-tail' ( my name for it) under the board as seen @ 3:13. It give a much smoother ride.
So is that easier to ride than a regular surf board. I have never gone surfing but maybe that is the way to start ?

Phantomrain.org

Reactions: Prop Wash
So is that easier to ride than a regular surf board. I have never gone surfing but maybe that is the way to start ?

Phantomrain.org
I have no idea - I'm not a surfer either. His ride was very smooth.
From my Navy days there were a couple of boats with foils under them. When they got to speed, they'd come up out of the water and no more pitching/rolling like when they were just floating.

Well : I found this , and does give me hope. Now I just need to figure out how to carry the drone > loll

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Land on the Water.

Reactions: BigAl07

Phantomrain.org

I think it would be similar to surfing, but perhaps you'd need better (or maybe different) balance once lifted above the waves, much higher point of gravity, and a much reduced surface area in the water.

Whatever weight it's lifting, it just needs to reach the required speed to lift the rider and board up out of the water.
It's just like an airplane wing in the way it works to provide lift once moving.

Of course, this sort of design was first used in the Americas Cup bid (win) by Australia winged keel on the 18m "Australia II" in 1983.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman