DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Insurance

What does the policy actually cover? Theft? Loss due to pilot error? Damage repair? What deductibles?

I assume there's no liability coverage.
Covers theft, loss, damage beyond repair. Granted I've haven't had to file a claim so I can't be sure on how much they would challenge a claim. It is $0 deductible, I would have to check on liability, I don't believe it does.

Reactions: MS Coast
Upon further research, it appears that Starr>Harry Koch Agency (Koch founded the company ~1915) are all FNIC-related, and indeed, "remote areas" is a restriction. Here is the email response from the FNIC agent who handles the AMA commercial drone insurance:
Quote: "
Hi Paul:

The remote area is defined by the FAA not the insurance company. We need to comply with the FAA rules.

Hope this makes sense?

Thank you,
Patt
AMADrone

Commercial Accounts
FNIC - Trusted Insurance Advisors
14010 FNB Parkway | Suite 300 | Omaha | NE | 68154
P:402-861-7000"

Upon further research, it appears that Starr>Harry Koch Agency (Koch founded the company ~1915) are all FNIC-related, and indeed, "remote areas" is a restriction. Here is the email response from the FNIC agent who handles the AMA commercial drone insurance:
Quote: "
Hi Paul:

The remote area is defined by the FAA not the insurance company. We need to comply with the FAA rules.

Hope this makes sense?

Thank you,
Patt
AMADrone

Commercial Accounts
FNIC - Trusted Insurance Advisors
14010 FNB Parkway | Suite 300 | Omaha | NE | 68154
P:402-861-7000"
I don't recall ever seeing the phrase "remote area" show up in any of the FAA regulations or publications I've seen. So, not it doesn't make sense.

It would be interesting to ask the agent to cite the FAA rule the company is bound by.

I don't recall ever seeing the phrase "remote area" show up in any of the FAA regulations or publications I've seen. So, not it doesn't make sense.

It would be interesting to ask the agent to cite the FAA rule the company is bound by.
Exactly. There is no mention of "remote area" in regs, and on another tack, even "sparsely populated" is never defined (not that I know that was the intent). Today, I have reached out via phone and have spoken with the AMA, with their Safety staff member, and their Insurance staff member--the latter will pursue the issue of the wording of the requirement, and see if it can be more clearly defined and even changed by the Broker. Turns out the the outside insurance contact is a broker, who is an intermediary with the insurance company. I hope this improves for those who follow. My concern is that the broker stated that the restiction to fly in "remote area," was somehow required for compliance with FAA rules, which do my knowledge as Part 107 rPIC, is not true.

Last edited:
Sounds like Starr is better than FNIC--could you share the contact info for Starr? Feel free to send me a message! Thanks!
It's FNIC. I just went thru an independent agent for FNIC (Patt Pierce) FNIC is just one of the companies she reps . . .
In checking this information for you; I found the original application where I did (indeed) check that box you were concerned about. Still, I have coverage with no limitations. I will DM you her information. She's very nice and will answer ALL your questions . . . I believe she's in Nebraska.

It's FNIC. I just went thru an independent agent for FNIC (Patt Pierce) FNIC is just one of the companies she reps . . .
In checking this information for you; I found the original application where I did (indeed) check that box you were concerned about. Still, I have coverage with no limitations. I will DM you her information. She's very nice and will answer ALL your questions . . . I believe she's in Nebraska.
They wrote the policy, but a problem might arise if you had a claim while you were flying in Buckhead or Midtown and the claims adjustor decided that those weren't "remote places."

They wrote the policy, but a problem might arise if you had a claim while you were flying in Buckhead or Midtown and the claims adjustor decided that those weren't "remote places."
Thank you sir! This has opened my eyes. pchaps has posted some info I will follow up on. I read the application and since it did not say: "agree to fly ONLY in remote areas". . . then later 'agree to fly per CFR 14 Part 107' (those rules would apply and supersede).

I'll definitely get this clarified since I fly over construction site weekly (and also remote areas). Thanks guys!!

Reactions: MS Coast
Exactly. There is no mention of "remote area" in regs, and on another tack, even "sparsely populated" is never defined (not that I know that was the intent). Today, I have reached out via phone and have spoken with the AMA, with their Safety staff member, and their Insurance staff member--the latter will pursue the issue of the wording of the requirement, and see if it can be more clearly defined and even changed by the Broker. Turns out the the outside insurance contact is a broker, who is an intermediary with the insurance company. I hope this improves for those who follow. My concern is that the broker stated that the restiction to fly in "remote area," was somehow required for compliance with FAA rules, which do my knowledge as Part 107 rPIC, is not true.
Thank you pchaps . . . I will be contacting AMA and getting this clarified. I'll post the results here (seeing how expensive and incredibly vital this coverage is).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smittysflying