DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Insurance

bmoore1118

Reactions
I have had the air 2s for about 1 year now and have never had any issues.

I only fly it for fun and nor for money, I was wondering who isures personal drones?

DJI care is nice but the fly away deductable is like $500.

I did hear that State Farm will do this for me but I have had a bad experience with them in the past and wish not to go back.

Does anyone know any one else that they have used?

Any help would be very apprecialted!

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
Pretty sure State Farm is the only one providing insurance under their “personal articles” policy. I have ~$15K of coverage on all my drones and accessories for $20/month, non-commercial use only.

Thanks for this thread. Are there insurance companies that insure drones besides DJI Care? I would like coverage for all perils, including loss for PIC error. Based in US. Thanks in advance.

I went with AMA (Academy for Model Aeronautics). I insured 2 birds (full coverage) for 1 year ($660) . . . I do fly commercially.

Unfortunately State Farm seems to be the only game in town reasonably priced, but limited to recreational use. There is commercial "hull" insurance available, but much more expensive.

I understand your concern about State Farm. I had them for car and home insurance for over 50 years, and my kids had them for home insurance and my sister for car insurance. ALL of us have had bad claims experience with them over the last 5 years. One daughter is fighting with them over water damage claims to her house and the dispute has gone on for 5 months. I had a comprehensive car claim that they should have paid, but they declared it a "defect" in the car. I since have moved onto AARP/Hartford and have been happy, as they paid a hail damage claim with no issues.

However, I do have my drones listed with SF because I only pay $60/year, but also have care/refresh. Yeah, costly especially if you don't have claims and costlier, but worth it if you do. $500 for an Air2s flyaway????

Reactions: rickfmdj
Unfortunately State Farm seems to be the only game in town reasonably priced, but limited to recreational use. There is commercial "hull" insurance available, but much more expensive.

I understand your concern about State Farm. I had them for car and home insurance for over 50 years, and my kids had them for home insurance and my sister for car insurance. ALL of us have had bad claims experience with them over the last 5 years. One daughter is fighting with them over water damage claims to her house and the dispute has gone on for 5 months. I had a comprehensive car claim that they should have paid, but they declared it a "defect" in the car. I since have moved onto AARP/Hartford and have been happy, as they paid a hail damage claim with no issues.

However, I do have my drones listed with SF because I only pay $60/year, but also have care/refresh. Yeah, costly especially if you don't have claims and costlier, but worth it if you do. $500 for an Air2s flyaway????
Did they write a separate policy for the drones? My agent told me that coverage was available only as a personal property floater on a homeowner's policy.

Did they write a separate policy for the drones? My agent told me that coverage was available only as a personal property floater on a homeowner's policy.
Separate policy altogether. It does not appear as a rider on my condo insurance. There is some argument about what happens after you make a drone claim. Do they cancel your right away. Some say yes, some say no.

One benefit of the SF insurance that I haven't heard spoken of elsewhere, is that you have to provide an invoice for the cost. But the coverage isn't just for damage or loss of the drone. But for theft too. AND YOU CAN SCHEDULE YOUR CASE AND ACCESSORIES for the coverage too. If someone boosts my drone case with all the extras in it, if they were listed they would be covered.

Reactions: Steel63
Other insurance companies will cover your drone (hull insurance only, not liability) under personal articles policy. I have Liberty Mutual and they will cover drones, computers, tablets, tv's all under a personal articles policy.

Depending on how often you fly, per-flight insurance might also be an option.

I've heard good things about Skywatch:

Also saw this which looks cheap for damage coverage, but no idea how good the company is:

Reactions: rickfmdj
DroneInsurance requires Part 107 for a quote. Doesn't look recreational. I'll check with my home insurer.

Not true! I have it without SF home insurance. However, my agent had to check with corporate as he’d never written drone insurance. $45 per year where I live and no deductible. Never needed to file a claim though.

Not true! I have it without SF home insurance. However, my agent had to check with corporate as he’d never written drone insurance. $45 per year where I live and no deductible. Never needed to file a claim though.
Thanks. I'll try calling a different State Farm agent. This one didn't seem very interested anyway.

Reactions: Dbez1
I went with AMA (Academy for Model Aeronautics). I insured 2 birds (full coverage) for 1 year ($660) . . . I do fly commercially.
The commercial drone insurance through AMA has an application with items to be checked that includes: "[ ] (Agree) The UAV will be operated in a remote area." Did you agree to that? If you did not agree to that item, did they still insure you for commercial insurance?
Academy of Model Aeronautics (sign in as AMA member to access)

I do have a homeowners policy with SF. However the drones are on a completely separate policy. I just added my Mini 3. I think I paid $60 last year for my Mavic 2 Pro and Mini 2 (both included in the price). I wonder if my rate will go up with the Mini 3 now added. Also, it is important to "schedule" your case with all accessories. While you must provide invoices for the coverage I think it's important to schedule them as well as the drone. DJI Care/Refresh only covers damage to the drone (not the controller!!!) and while it covers fly-aways with a pretty steep deductible, SF will cover damage and theft. If someone boosts your case with everything inside it's (theoretically) covered. But keep in mind it's State Farm and not the insurance company that I had my car insured with for 50 years in paying claims without some pain involved- at least with car and homeowner coverage. But I hear drone claims are pretty smooth, but some folks policies get canceled after the first claim and others do not.

Reactions: MS Coast
The commercial drone insurance through AMA has an application with items to be checked that includes: "[ ] (Agree) The UAV will be operated in a remote area." Did you agree to that? If you did not agree to that item, did they still insure you for commercial insurance?
Academy of Model Aeronautics (sign in as AMA member to access)
I do not remember using that particular application to get started. I went thru an agent (Starr Insurance). I just reviewed my 52 page policy and (no where) does it stipulate this. It is a world-wide policy allowing me to fly (covered) anywhere per the local regulations.

I probably would have checked all the boxes anyway because I fly in all the areas listed . . .

I've had state farm for 2 years on my drone since I bought it i don't know if thay cover one that's a year old you would have to speak with an agent in your area good luck

I also use State Farm also, mine are under my personal articles policy. I was chose the dollar amount for replacement, my policy is $61 annually for both.

I also use State Farm also, mine are under my personal articles policy. I was chose the dollar amount for replacement, my policy is $61 annually for both.
What does the policy actually cover? Theft? Loss due to pilot error? Damage repair? What deductibles?

I assume there's no liability coverage.

I do not remember using that particular application to get started. I went thru an agent (Starr Insurance). I just reviewed my 52 page policy and (no where) does it stipulate this. It is a world-wide policy allowing me to fly (covered) anywhere per the local regulations.

I probably would have checked all the boxes anyway because I fly in all the areas listed . . .
Sounds like Starr is better than FNIC--could you share the contact info for Starr? Feel free to send me a message! Thanks!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr James