DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone loss

dennyc39

Reactions
Practicing video collection for a celebration that would center around an iron pedestrian bridge, perhaps 35 ft. above the water. I was concerned that crowds would make it hard to get to the best launch and land points and to keep the drone in sight.

Flying around the area, finding the best viewpoints and the best trajectories for video. Keeping well clear of the water, I flew under the bridge after carefully checking clearance. Underneath, moving slowly, I took my thumbs off the sticks when I saw the drone begin to climb.

I believe my stick inputs are likely to make things worse if I don't understand what's happening. Expectation and past experience says is that the drone will hover while I get my wits together.

This time the drone continued climb. I knew it was all over when I heard the props hammering at the bridge structure. It fell vertically, seeming to take forever to hit the surface of 48-degree, 30-ft. deep water flowing at four knots. It made a perfect little X-shape of a splash.

The drone had 200-300 flights and not a mark on it. It had worn out one battery and even the props were undamaged. Never before had I seen it do something I had not told it to do. I suspect loss of GPS, but no way to know. The flight record apparently was interrupted when I switched over to the GSP app, so the flight record was much shorter than the actual flight.

There's been plenty of documented reports of this happening. Not surprised. Either loss of GPS signal, iron bridge messing with compass, or water flow messing with downward sensors.
Sorry for your loss.

I took my thumbs off the sticks when I saw the drone begin to climb.
I suspect loss of GPS, but no way to know.
Loss of GPS doesn't cause a drone to climb, it just puts the drone in atti mode where it will maintain altitude but without horizontal position holding (it can drift on the breeze).
The other things suggested in post #2 (compass and water/ sensors) also don't make a drone climb.
What does cause a drone to climb is RTH which initiates after loss of signal.
The flight record apparently was interrupted when I switched over to the GSP app, so the flight record was much shorter than the actual flight.
What does the flight data show?

Reactions: Aww@Mavic
The flight record apparently was interrupted when I switched over to the GSP app, so the flight record was much shorter than the actual flight.
Can you post your flight log here?

Loss of GPS doesn't cause a drone to climb, it just puts the drone in atti mode where it will maintain altitude but without horizontal position holding (it can drift on the breeze).
The other things suggested in post #2 (compass and water/ sensors) also don't make a drone climb.

The flight record terminated itself about 10 minutes before the crash. My guess is that when I switched over to GSP in order to use a virtual fence I had devised to keep away from trees, etc., this may have interrupted the flight record.
'
The record such as it is, shows normal takeoff and hover for about a minute.

I don't think it was in RTH, but if it was, it would climb into the obstruction. There was no beeping that occurs in RTH, and it was still moving forward, rather than a vertical climb. There could have been some air currents around the bridge structure, but nothing that triggered a high wind caution.
Can you post your flight log here?

Yes, but I'll be out of town until about Sunday. Will do it then. I''ll have to look for instructions on how to post it here unless I can grope it out.

If you lost signal the drone will climb to your return to home . The movement ahead could of been atti drift and then the signal loss it started the RTH sequence . You would not of heard the RTH beeping if the controller did not have any connection . The beeping would of started as soon as connection was achieved .
I have lost contact in the forest and that’s how my controller acted .
Sorry for your loss .
PS anytime I fly under a structure that will possibly cause me to lose satellite lock I make sure I have a clean line of sight so my controller don’t drop the signal

Practicing video collection for a celebration that would center around an iron pedestrian bridge, perhaps 35 ft. above the water. I was concerned that crowds would make it hard to get to the best launch and land points and to keep the drone in sight.

Flying around the area, finding the best viewpoints and the best trajectories for video. Keeping well clear of the water, I flew under the bridge after carefully checking clearance. Underneath, moving slowly, I took my thumbs off the sticks when I saw the drone begin to climb.

I believe my stick inputs are likely to make things worse if I don't understand what's happening. Expectation and past experience says is that the drone will hover while I get my wits together.

This time the drone continued climb. I knew it was all over when I heard the props hammering at the bridge structure. It fell vertically, seeming to take forever to hit the surface of 48-degree, 30-ft. deep water flowing at four knots. It made a perfect little X-shape of a splash.

The drone had 200-300 flights and not a mark on it. It had worn out one battery and even the props were undamaged. Never before had I seen it do something I had not told it to do. I suspect loss of GPS, but no way to know. The flight record apparently was interrupted when I switched over to the GSP app, so the flight record was much shorter than the actual flight.
I feel your loss...have a beer (or two) on me!

I’ve been flying phantoms for 3 years, I just bought the Mavic 2 Pro. Flying my phantom over water has become routine, I resigned myself to walk away from any crash over water. My Mavic, I’m still being careful with, but as I get familiar, it too will be in jeopardy. The best shots are always hidden. You can’t wow with the ordinary.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer