DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone lost control and now lost.

I have had problems with rebar in concrete causing compass problems. I now always hand launch after verifying that Go 4 and my MP agree on the direction it is pointed.
I hate to say it. Especially here. I agree when in doubt, Hand Launching has worked for me too. I might be overdoing it. but I go as far as picking it up the unit spin the unit in my hand and turning it to all 4 sides to verify that Go 4 and my craft agree on the direction it is pointed at as well. Once, I noticed it was off. It dove me crazy. Just a bit off mind you. The craft is pointing at 12. when my screen shows it's pointing at 1 or even 2. That far off. Does it really matter? Should I except just in the ballpark that's ok? And who knows it might not matter at all and it's there just for show. But I know better. To ignore it I believe is foolish. But that's just me, I pay for my own toys. I just like them pointing the same way. I believe they are designed to do just that. It feels safer to me even if it's just in my head. Sorry, Old school. When in doubt, don’t! And I don't. Maybe that is why I still have all my Toys! Thank you for sharing Mossiback. And Respect for Ya! For having the Guts to throw out a bone, and info that someone not knowing can use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to back up Dirkclod on his post. First I assume he needed a Snicker bar. :D And his pickup is, in fact, good old Detroit iron. Now he has mentioned that it does not do well if he uses the hood, probably the cast iron block & heads. I live near a canal and the bridges are made from iron. If I fly under them I sometimes get erratic behavior so I avoid them.
Now one thing about Dirkclod is if he sees an unproven rumor he will try to bust that myth. Have you seen his cell tower video yet? :cool:

PS - I also use the glass top on my Vette as a landing pad sometimes too.

Reactions: dirkclod
Just to back up Dirkclod on his post. First I assume he needed a Snicker bar. :D And his pickup is, in fact, good old Detroit iron. Now he has mentioned that it does not do well if he uses the hood, probably the cast iron block & heads. I live near a canal and the bridges are made from iron. If I fly under them I sometimes get erratic behavior so I avoid them.
Now one thing about Dirkclod is if he sees an unproven rumor he will try to bust that myth. Have you seen his cell tower video yet? :cool:

Thank you for informing me that he is a cool guy. Sorry I never saw that part of him when he was dealing with me. I am sure he is a cool guy and I wish I could have seen that side of him. I’m willing to try to find that out for myself. But thank you for your input. I will try to remember he is a cool guy when I talk to him. I was not looking to start anything with anyone. I had been seeing plenty of bullying here for sure. But I'm too old to deal with this bull.it’s like we are still on the school ground. I just thought a staff member who should be helping not give people grief was just so wrong. I don’t know this guy and he does not know me from Adam. How would you feel if he replies to you the same way? No problem as long as it's not on your end. I’m sorry I did not drink the Kool-Aid. Why can’t it stay about drone? I have been here around maybe a year or so. I only joined to see and stay in touch to see when and if a new Mavic was coming out and then when released. So I can see when items from DJI were being shipped. And how soon they were being received.
And All I wanted was to learn and share a bit here. You think if fun? to follow pages after pages to try to get some type of fact. And always the last page has been stopped. Because someone got mad at someone else like now. a total waste of my time and everyone else. In the last year + I have been here, I have never gotten into any type crap like this! I am not into Drama! Because I know who I am and know how I can be. When someone barks at me. Beware I might just bark back. I plan to return his message. And at the end of it, I hope we can get to know each other and acknowledge that we are but member to the same hobby I have never been too proud to learn something new or old. Who knows, I might just learn something from him. Why else would I be here to learn? If not. I’ll be back to gather info of the next Mavic comes out. But still, like to keep our ego and drama out of it.

Reactions: JDawg and RichieGG
I've always found it hit or miss around metal. So I just don't take off from it. Not worth the risk!!!!

I've always found it hit or miss around metal. So I just don't take off from it. Not worth the risk!!!!
Maybe it,s just me and my old ways. I didn’t take chances with a $300 drone, I’m certainly not going to take the chance it with $1000 drone. But I guess somebody has to do it . And to test the limits. Again, I was just suggesting maybe try using any (free) metal detecting app before start up.I use 3 iPads of driffent sizes for my flying needs and the Metal detecting app is install in each one. Even though I have not seen it on any checklist. It’s been the first part of my check list. Hate to admit it, I guess I’d rather be safe than sorry. And maybe it’s because I’ve never bought DJI insurance owning 3 of them. I don’t think it’s being cocky, it’s not the money. I think it would take me a shorter time to get parts and repair it myself then to ship it and have it come back with all the paperwork. I’m not a patient person I must admit. But I’m happy to hear that I’m not the only one . Thanks for the comeback.

Happy and safe flying

Just read the PS. I didn’t get a glass top for the new one. my 93 40th anniversary had both the color and glass top. I bought it new or used the glass top maybe three times. I passed the car on to my son. The C7, I decided to save the money and not to buy a glass top instead I put the money in upgraded from painted carbon fiber to the clear carbon fiber roof. This carbon fiber roof I could take off and change every 15 minutes with one hand it’s so light. The older one weight a ton. And I hated taking the chance of damaging my car. Like here, I did not take the chance of losing my grip because the old top was so heavy. I was just thinking what it would look like to videotape of the maverick taking off from inside the car through a glass top. Full carbon fiber top with no Metal so no problem with compass calibration . I try to enjoy my toys. You only go around once I hear.

Yaw error tells it all.
Another reminder (there are many already) Never launch from steel or reinforced concrete surfaces.
Meta4 I have always taken off from my rural driveway, gotten good compass readings and accurate map location. Should I stop doing that and put a pad in the grass?

Meta4 I have always taken off from my rural driveway, gotten good compass readings and accurate map location. Should I stop doing that and put a pad in the grass?
Is your driveway reinforced concrete?
It can be a lucky dip because you can't see how deep the steel is inside the concrete or where the holes and crossing points in the mesh are.
There are too many cases of drone flights from reinforced concrete or steel surfaces and ending very badly due to yaw error that it's a good principle to just avoid doing it.

I dont think I have ever taken off from anything BUT reinforced concrete, car roof, or a folding table in my back yard. (with metal)
I have read HUNDREDS of posts where from time to time, it CAN cause a compass error. So I always take off with caution and make sure the orientation of the bird matches what the app is showing me.
Just like Dirklod has no issues from his very much steel truck bed.
It could cause a problem if there is a magnetic field around it. Sometimes steel rebar or mesh can get a magnetic charge. But I think it is rarely strong enough to worry about.
Some people have decided to never take off from concrete based on some bad experiences they read about on forums. That is OK. There is NO NEED to try and convince other people it is impossible to do without problems.

I dont think I have ever taken off from anything BUT reinforced concrete, car roof, or a folding table in my back yard. (with metal)
I have read HUNDREDS of posts where from time to time, it CAN cause a compass error. So I always take off with caution and make sure the orientation of the bird matches what the app is showing me.
That's good for you but I've investigated over 100 incidents where launching from steel or reinforced concrete caused yaw/compass errors with a very bad outcome.
Just like Dirklod has no issues from his very much steel truck bed.
There's something unusual or different happening in Dirkclod's truck bed.
He confirms that the drone won't allow him to start up on the steel hood.
It could cause a problem if there is a magnetic field around it. Sometimes steel rebar or mesh can get a magnetic charge. But I think it is rarely strong enough to worry about.
Some people have decided to never take off from concrete based on some bad experiences they read about on forums. That is OK. There is NO NEED to try and convince other people it is impossible to do without problems.
Drone forums are full of accounts of people launching from reinforced concrete and coming to grief.
I see a couple each week.
It's fine for you to risk your drone whenever you like but there is plenty of real evidence of it causing problems.
Not just myths or hype but real, verifiable evidence.

I can assure you that there has been more than 100 flights from concrete that have been WITHOUT issue. Because I have probably done that many myself. All over the state.
I know it is a VERY REAL problem that happens to a few people on occasion. But not even close to epidemic levels based on how many drones are out there flying every day.
I have seen those threads that are eventually blamed on the rebar, because there was no other mentioned probable source for the magnetic interference. We have to go with what the Pilot reveals. (they arent always truthful) no one can PROVE rebar caused every case of magnetic distortion unless someone goes to the site and checks it. I think at least some of them can be blamed on Magnetic jewelry, device accesories ond so on that never get mentioned.
I agree, its better to not take the chance if it concerns you, Its EASY to avoid doing for a lot of us. But I hope advice like this doesnt prevent someone form flying because they cant find a place far enough away from pavement., And hand launching can be dangerous.

Nothing to do with metal interference but how can I over dub with music on videos?
If it's nothing to do with anything in this thread, it would be a good idea to start a separate thread for your question.

Nothing to do with metal interference but how can I over dub with music on videos?
I will send you a message and Meta was right .
Anything OT guys just report it please don't quote it .

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark