DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone on Emirates Flight - Help please

Jimderosa

Reactions
Hi, I need some advice guys.
I am travelling to BANGKOK next Sunday, flying from Birmingham into Dubai with a 1hour changeover.
I have a big dilemma, do I take the drone in the hand luggage and ignore the emirates guidelines [After all its only a third party security check who's going to check the hand luggage] or do I take it in the suitcase?

Has anyone travelled with emirates with an interconnecting flight at Dubai and taken the Mavic as hand luggage?

Appreciate your help guys.

Thanks
Jamie

No problem. I flew from Dubai to London on Emirates on 4th January. The MP was in my suitcase and I declared it. However, you need to ensure the power pack is completely discharged and inform them about this.

I am travelling to BANGKOK next Sunday, flying from Birmingham into Dubai with a 1hour changeover.
I have a big dilemma, do I take the drone in the hand luggage and ignore the emirates guidelines [After all its only a third party security check who's going to check the hand luggage] or do I take it in the suitcase?

Has anyone travelled with emirates with an interconnecting flight at Dubai and taken the Mavic as hand luggage?

Thanks
Jamie

Did you finally carry it on your hand luggage? Was it all good?
Thinking about carrying my tiny mavic air but I'm pretty worried right now.

From Emirates baggage policies and rules.

Drones are not allowed as cabin baggage
For safety reasons, we can’t allow drones on board as cabin baggage. Drones can be accepted as checked-in baggage only. If you have a drone in your checked-in baggage you’ll be asked to either secure the Lithium batteries within the drone or remove the batteries and carry them in your cabin baggage. This regulation still applies even if you’re connecting to our flights from an airline that has accepted drones as cabin baggage

Thanks
Jamie
Why would you KNOWINGLY ignore the emirates guidelines? Moreover, what makes you feel you are not subject to them?

Reactions: Huge Bama Fan

Thanks
Jamie

I flew from LAX to Dubai directly. I had my drone in my carry-on, I did not have any issues in LAX or Dubai going there or coming back.

I've taken my drone in the cabin several times on Emirates. Flew from Melbourne to Amsterdam, then from Amsterdam to Bali, and had no issues with the drone. I wasn't aware of any restrictions, and no one at the airport stopped me from taking my drone on board.

However, coming back from Bali to Amsterdam last week, I did have trouble taking my drone in the cabin, they made me put it in my checked in luggage. Drone came out absolutely fine though, they put some "fragile" stickers on the luggage (for what thats worth, anyway), and back in Amsterdam the drone was just as I left it.

I can imagine that the systems in the drone have a small chance of interfering with the instruments of the plane, and that the chances of that happening in the cargo hold, with the battery taken out, are slim to none, so I understand why they do it..

I can imagine that the systems in the drone have a small chance of interfering with the instruments of the plane, and that the chances of that happening in the cargo hold, with the battery taken out, are slim to none, so I understand why they do it..
That happened at Denpasar?
An unpowered drone will not interfere with anything aboard a plane, independent of its storage place. I can understand that they don't want to waste the always rare storage space within the cabin for drones, but they should then introduce a size limit, maybe to something equal to a DSLR camera bag, especially as small selfie drones such as
Dobby, Spark or Mavic Air will sprad more with each day.

Reactions: Evans12
Yep, that was at Denpasar. Flying to Melbourne this wednesday, and after some research, I think I'm just gonna bring it in the cabin. Especially after I found that you can buy it at DXB in transit, it makes no sense that they force you to put it in your checked bags

Maybe it's because Casey flew a drone inside their plane?

Drone on a plane @8:52

:D That guy cracks me up. I know several will respond and state what an irresponsible #$%@ he is, but this was funny. :)

(I don't think we have to say, "don't try this on your own." We're smart enough to get that kids, right? By the way, they did comp him that cabin so he could film a review.)

Reactions: Evans12 and GerdS
Two days ago, I traveled to Seoul thru Dubai transit flying Emirates and was stopped by Dubai airport security. I had 4 MP batteries in my hand luggage packed in two small lipo safe bags. I packed the drone in my checked bag. Security spotted the batteries and refused to let me pass. They said that I should have packed them in my checked bags. I refused to leave my batteries behind and was sent to security office downstairs. The officer there asked me about the batteries, and I told him they’re for my drone. He asked me where is the drone, I told him in my checked bag. He simply told the security guys to let me pass.
That’s my latest experience in DBX.
Just want to mention that I flew transit several times thru Dubai with my drone batteries but this was the first time to be stopped.

Reactions: KiterTodd
Well, it's annoying that Emirates has different rules than other carriers. At a minimum, it should be a common standard for TSA or whatever security team is passing you through. I guess you have to printout the guidelines from the airline and start taking it with you.

Well, it's annoying that Emirates has different rules than other carriers. At a minimum, it should be a common standard for TSA or whatever security team is passing you through. I guess you have to printout the guidelines from the airline and start taking it with you.
I had a screenshot of emirates guidelines but it was in English and security staff couldn't read English

Reactions: KiterTodd
From Emirates baggage policies and rules.

Drones are not allowed as cabin baggage
For safety reasons, we can’t allow drones on board as cabin baggage. Drones can be accepted as checked-in baggage only. If you have a drone in your checked-in baggage you’ll be asked to either secure the Lithium batteries within the drone or remove the batteries and carry them in your cabin baggage. This regulation still applies even if you’re connecting to our flights from an airline that has accepted drones as cabin baggage

What an absolute load of garbage from Emirates airlines!! This statement only proves one thing to me and that is the person that wrote this has not got the first clue about safety. Surely the safety issue with anything electronic not only quadcopters is the Lithium battery. To state that the device itself poses a danger is ridiculous and obviously owners would want to carry costly personal items with them onboard instead of risking them being stolen. On all other airlines I have flown I have carried my quadcopter on board in the cabin along with my spare batteries with the contacts taped over and in fireproof bags individually wrapped and never had a problem. Its the old story again far to much is being made of this after the huge media hype against multicopter type devices killing every body in the world. Disgraceful!!!!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Black Wolf