DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone operations at SRQ

TS_Thomas02

Reactions
I fly Airbus A320-series aircraft for a major airline and I own a Mavic Mini. (And it won't be my only drone for long.) I believe drones and commercial aircraft can coexist just fine if people are reasonably careful about where they fly. Last week as we were approaching SRQ on a visual approach for runway 14, the tower asked us if we could spot a drone that was reported about "300 ft below the glide slope" by another aircraft. This was while we checked in on about a 10 mile final while we were still at about 3000'. I believe it was a general aviation aircraft that previously reported it. I felt like the chances of seeing it were probably pretty much nil, and I figured I'd check my DJI app when I landed. The tower said that they had an ADSB readout on the drone and they had its registration number, so they could figure out who it was, but they wanted to make us aware of it. I should have asked approximately how far out it was spotted but I didn't. SRQ is class C airspace and right in the immediate area is a prohibited zone but outwards from that, is represented in grey on the DJI app with a 65' ceiling. My suspicion is that the tower controller possibly meant that the ADSB readout was showing the drone at 300', in the zone with a 65' ceiling, not 300' below the actual glide slope. While I don't believe we were anywhere near hitting the drone, it is true that this operator could have completely prevented this, and now he's possibly facing a civil penalty. They can find him from his ADSB. If he has a part 107, which I doubt, he'd possibly forfeit that too. The most problematic thing is that it's one more thing to tarnish the reputation of the many who are very responsible operators of drones. Fly safe, fly smart.

Tom

I fly Airbus A320-series aircraft for a major airline and I own a Mavic Mini. (And it won't be my only drone for long.) I believe drones and commercial aircraft can coexist just fine if people are reasonably careful about where they fly. Last week as we were approaching SRQ on a visual approach for runway 14, the tower asked us if we could spot a drone that was reported about "300 ft below the glide slope" by another aircraft. This was while we checked in on about a 10 mile final while we were still at about 3000'. I believe it was a general aviation aircraft that previously reported it. I felt like the chances of seeing it were probably pretty much nil, and I figured I'd check my DJI app when I landed. The tower said that they had an ADSB readout on the drone and they had its registration number, so they could figure out who it was, but they wanted to make us aware of it. I should have asked approximately how far out it was spotted but I didn't. SRQ is class C airspace and right in the immediate area is a prohibited zone but outwards from that, is represented in grey on the DJI app with a 65' ceiling. My suspicion is that the tower controller possibly meant that the ADSB readout was showing the drone at 300', in the zone with a 65' ceiling, not 300' below the actual glide slope. While I don't believe we were anywhere near hitting the drone, it is true that this operator could have completely prevented this, and now he's possibly facing a civil penalty. They can find him from his ADSB. If he has a part 107, which iI doubt, he'd possibly forfeit that too. The most problematic thing is that it's one more thing to tarnish the reputation of the many who are very responsible operators of drones. Fly safe, fly smart.

Tom
Did you feel like 300 ft AGL was dangerous in this location?

It’s actually very easy for a part 107 airman certificate holder to get authorization for 300 feet in Class C
airspace. We have to avoid manned aircraft and stay safe but if it was a 60m? DJI enhanced warning zone that doesn’t mean anything regulations wise. Actually the fact that the drone was above the 60m DJI zone likely means he had authorization and got an unlock from DJI.

If you felt it was unsafe then all of this is moot but I always cringe a little bit when people immediately come to the conclusion that a pilot was breaking “the rules” because it’s pretty easy to get authorization to do a lot of stuff. I always wonder what the guys manning the Aeroscope think when they see me, if they assume I’m a rouge operator and put me in that statistic even though I have authorization. I’m guessing yes.

I fly Airbus A320-series aircraft for a major airline and I own a Mavic Mini. (And it won't be my only drone for long.) I believe drones and commercial aircraft can coexist just fine if people are reasonably careful about where they fly. Last week as we were approaching SRQ on a visual approach for runway 14, the tower asked us if we could spot a drone that was reported about "300 ft below the glide slope" by another aircraft. This was while we checked in on about a 10 mile final while we were still at about 3000'. I believe it was a general aviation aircraft that previously reported it. I felt like the chances of seeing it were probably pretty much nil, and I figured I'd check my DJI app when I landed. The tower said that they had an ADSB readout on the drone and they had its registration number, so they could figure out who it was, but they wanted to make us aware of it. I should have asked approximately how far out it was spotted but I didn't. SRQ is class C airspace and right in the immediate area is a prohibited zone but outwards from that, is represented in grey on the DJI app with a 65' ceiling. My suspicion is that the tower controller possibly meant that the ADSB readout was showing the drone at 300', in the zone with a 65' ceiling, not 300' below the actual glide slope. While I don't believe we were anywhere near hitting the drone, it is true that this operator could have completely prevented this, and now he's possibly facing a civil penalty. They can find him from his ADSB. If he has a part 107, which I doubt, he'd possibly forfeit that too. The most problematic thing is that it's one more thing to tarnish the reputation of the many who are very responsible operators of drones. Fly safe, fly smart.

Tom
Very well said. Thanks pilot ?⚽️?

The approach to runway 14 would be from the NW of the airport. If you refer to the YWS Facility Maps on the ARCGIS website you will find areas within the DJI map that with proper clearance range from 100 feet to 400 feet in that area. If the system is working as it should ATC should be aware of any authorized flights in those areas. Pilots with 107 certification can also request clearance above those limits and in areas marked 0 altitude via the FAA DroneZone site with proper safety precautions and flight planning well in advance of actual operations. ATC should know of those to be able to advise pilots of commercial and GA aircraft.

Reactions: brett8883
The tower said that they had an ADSB readout on the drone and they had its registration number, so they could figure out who it was ...
My suspicion is that the tower controller possibly meant that the ADSB readout was showing the drone at 300', in the zone with a 65' ceiling ...
They can find him from his ADSB.
They probably meant Aeroscope..
ADS-B in DJI drones is receive only and doesn't transmit anything.

Tom
It really good to hear a commercial pilot’s take on things and to know we have support in the pilot community that share our belief that drones and manned aircraft can share the NAS!

I firmly believe that unsafe operators or operators that flaunt the rules in controlled airspace should be held accountable.

That's not uncommon. I've flown into quite a few airports that have RC airports directly under final or departure as the case may be. KVNY a super busy class D airport with heavy corporate Jet Traffic and located under the BurbankClass C airspace and having the outer marker for the super busy Burbank airport located at the end of runway 16 is one of those.
It's been there as long as I can remember going back to the late 50's. Hardly anyone ever mentions it but let one person spot a drone and there is instant panic. There are some bonehead drone pilots without a doubt but that would not be any of us ? ..See something say something I guess is the answer.

Reactions: zeusfl
Did you feel like 300 ft AGL was dangerous in this location?

It’s actually very easy for a part 107 airman certificate holder to get authorization for 300 feet in Class C
airspace. We have to avoid manned aircraft and stay safe but if it was a 60m? DJI enhanced warning zone that doesn’t mean anything regulations wise. Actually the fact that the drone was above the 60m DJI zone likely means he had authorization and got an unlock from DJI.

If you felt it was unsafe then all of this is moot but I always cringe a little bit when people immediately come to the conclusion that a pilot was breaking “the rules” because it’s pretty easy to get authorization to do a lot of stuff. I always wonder what the guys manning the Aeroscope think when they see me, if they assume I’m a rouge operator and put me in that statistic even though I have authorization. I’m guessing yes.
Actually, I never felt he created an unsafe situation for me. I just felt bad that he was getting "in trouble" so to speak, when it might have been prevented. Now I will say, the tower controller was pretty vague in saying, "300 feet below the glide path." That doesn't tell how far out, or if displaced laterally. Again, I could have asked but, I didn't. I doubt that he was literally within a line parallel with the glide path and 300' below it. What he probably meant, was AT 300', and on or near the final approach course which then leaves the big question: How far out? Some people are spring loaded to think that if they can see a drone, it must be illegal. (And if you see a guy in a jet-pack, you're really in a select group!)

Since the other guy was doing the landing, I had plenty of time to scan around and didn't see anything. You'd be surprised what small objects you can spot when you're monitoring and not flying. Getting a DJI unlock would go a long way in helping to stay legal, but I have no idea if it was even a DJI drone or not. Could have been an Autel. Either way, people can safely assume we're getting our flights scrutinized. Also, if you're on the legal-to-fly side of the line, you're good to go but might have to prove it. That might get ugly too. So there's that.

They probably meant Aeroscope..
ADS-B in DJI drones is receive only and doesn't transmit anything.

I agree, my Mavic Air 2 only receives....BUT, maybe he meant remote ID. That's maybe what he meant.

I took it he meant here in these, the inner 60m zones. The outer ones are 150m altitude zones.. I doubt an airline pilot would suggest flying 300’ in class G was anything wrong.View attachment 113449
Sorry, I've been gone from the forum for a bit.

The controller gave no information as to the range. It's possible, the drone was legally operated, but the controller was spring loaded to respond to the drone report as if he had to check it out. It should be noted that controllers don't give out flight violations. They make a report, it gets checked out, then, the FAA can take action against you or not. Makes a good case for keeping those flight logs long after you think you no longer need them.

I agree, my Mavic Air 2 only receives....BUT, maybe he meant remote ID. That's maybe what he meant.
That’s what the Aeroscope does in real-time showing drone position.

That's not uncommon. I've flown into quite a few airports that have RC airports directly under final or departure as the case may be. KVNY a super busy class D airport with heavy corporate Jet Traffic and located under the BurbankClass C airspace and having the outer marker for the super busy Burbank airport located at the end of runway 16 is one of those.
It's been there as long as I can remember going back to the late 50's. Hardly anyone ever mentions it but let one person spot a drone and there is instant panic. There are some bonehead drone pilots without a doubt but that would not be any of us ? ..See something say something I guess is the answer.

I attend to Florida Jets (RC Jets) event for many years. Florida Jets Website produced by Frank Tiano. This event is held every year at the Lakeland Airport and they fly there, RC Jets, Giant scale RC warbirds. IMAC, RC Helicopters and drones. And is an Airport.

You can see the full scale airplanes in the background at the runways, This RC Jets fly pretty high and at 199.99 MPH ?. so legally they can fly over 200mph. How a 50 pounds yet can fly in an airport. I don't know.

Last edited:
I cannot NOT watch R/C Jets. Probably the same as recips though. I love to watch Scale R/C.

I know this isn't a super new thread but there seems to be a lot of knowledgeable and helpful people on here, so I figured I'd ask...

My father recently purchased a Mavic Air 2 and would like to fly at like 20 or 30 feet above ground level over the lake in the image. Just to the left of the lake has 200' auto-approval but the lake areas have 0'. This area is not in any flight paths, as you can see the runways run basically North/South and this is off to the west.

Does anybody have any thoughts on what he might be able to do to get approved for a very low flight? Chances he gets approved? Certificates/licenses he might need?

Sorry, I'm very new to the drone world but I've done my best to find this info but I can't find much info on this.

Thanks in advance for any tips or thoughts!!!

Edit: (The lake is the horseshoe shaped body of water. The area I'm referring to is highlighted in yellow. There is a river that runs on the east side of Eppley Airfield)

Last edited:
A recreational pilot will never get clearance in a surface (0 altitude) grid. He would have to have a 107 certification to obtain LAANC clearance in those areas.

Anyone willing to study and test for their 107 will at least have the knowledge of what they must do to fly safely there.

Reactions: brett8883
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beluga