DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone shot at and owner accosted

spsphotos

Reactions

Another reason we do not need RID broadcasting the pilots location and to have a carry permit.

Another reason we do not need RID broadcasting the pilots location and to have a carry permit.
Firstly - it happened without RID, so that's a non sequitur. Secondly, I'm quite sure that it would have gone much better if everyone involved had been armed¡

Yes, it does and has happened without RID. But, that does not mean RID won't be a bigger problem and make it even EASIER for this to happen. Sure that the rednecks were somewhere close by which is why they got there quickly. Probably weren't many roads so that made it easier as. well.

Firstly - it happened without RID, so that's a non sequitur. Secondly, I'm quite sure that it would have gone much better if everyone involved had been armed¡
I think the point is that RID will make us targets. As you can read from other threads people get their hackles up just at the sight of a drone that is doing nothing threatening but flying along in the sky, not even overhead of the observers.

Reactions: Mugginz
The article says that the pilot reported the incident to local law enforcement and to the FAA. Hopefully, the crazy fellow doing the shooting will be prosecuted and that will be well publicized. A few cases with hefty fines and publicity that shows the shooters for the fools they are will go a long way toward curbing that sort of behavior.

I think the point is that RID will make us targets. As you can read from other threads people get their hackles up just at the sight of a drone that is doing nothing threatening but flying along in the sky, not even overhead of the observers.
I know that's the point. For which there is zero evidence.

There is zero evidence YET because the rule isn't in place yet. So some of use are speculating on this being the case just like others are speculating that there is a need for RID in spite of having little evidence that it is needed in the first place... and certainly no evidence that the implementation will help more than hurt. If you read the recent news you may be hearing about a rash of road rage that escalates into shooting. If you don't think that the same type of rage over drones can't escalate into the same thing then you're fooling yourself. There are tons of stories of dudes that want to shoot drones out of the sky, and others that go screaming, hands in the air, hair on fire "there's a drone nearby, there's a drone nearby". I can almost promise that there will be drone rage incidents.

There is zero evidence YET because the rule isn't in place yet. So some of use are speculating on this being the case just like others are speculating that there is a need for RID in spite of having little evidence that it is needed in the first place... and certainly no evidence that the implementation will help more than hurt.
That's a false equivalence. No one is "speculating" about the need for RID because the FAA has already stated the reasons for implementing it. Declaring, however, that you know the outcome of this before it happens is certainly baseless speculation.

If you read the recent news you may be hearing about a rash of road rage that escalates into shooting. If you don't think that the same type of rage over drones can't escalate into the same thing then you're fooling yourself. There are tons of stories of dudes that want to shoot drones out of the sky, and others that go screaming, hands in the air, hair on fire "there's a drone nearby, there's a drone nearby". I can almost promise that there will be drone rage incidents.
What aspect of these road rage incidents was contributed to by anything analogous to RID? And this is already about a "drone rage' incident, with no RID or similar involved.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
You mean the guy with the "big black handgun" ??? Reported by the guy that saw him pointing a "rifle" at the drone?? Another case of "he has no clue" like most of the media these days... Sorry, its just embarrassing.

And a carry permit IS a GOOD thing!

You mean the guy with the "big black handgun" ??? Reported by the guy that saw him pointing a "rifle" at the drone?? Another case of "he has no clue" like most of the media these days... Sorry, its just embarrassing.

Carry is good. I have one concealed carry valid for all 50 US states! It goes with me on travels. But, local walking trips to my neighborhood parks I’d rather leave it home. Toting the toys and packing can sometimes be too much weight. Drones win, guns stay home at the two closest parks.

If both parties involved have guns...there is no possibility of having the cooler head prevail.....if a guy shoots at my drone..and I have a gun ...what am I going to do with it?.....He is shooting at a drone...if I shoot him....I will wind up in a lot more trouble than he will...just not worth it

When flying, if someone does start shooting at your drone, you should make every attempt to RTH and ‘git the (Mod Removed Language) out of there!’
DO NOT CONFRONT
!!
If possible, take all your goodies and leave, Immediately!!!
Report the event immediately to LE authorities and FAA!
Preserve your flight data.
DO NOT CONFRONT!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been carrying concealed for 30 years. I never, EVER, leave home without it. I will not give criminals license to kill me or my family. Even to the park... no offense. It takes just one sociopath to walk to the park and start shooting at someone that has crossed them or for some other crazy reason.

If there are six things that I've learned in the 35 years I have owned firearms:

1. Treat all firearms as if they ARE loaded.
2. Do not POINT the weapon at anything you do not want to destroy.
3. Keep your finger OFF the trigger until you are ready to shoot.
4. Be aware of your target and what lies BEYOND it.
5. It's better to have a gun and not need it then to need a gun and not have it.
6. Sometimes the mere presence of a firearm is enough to deter a crime.

The ladder I can attest to. An attempted mugging. I was not having it. I drew, he fled, end of story. My favorite kind. I don't want to be put in a situation where I actually have to use it. I truly do not.

Be safe out there people!

It's possible the guy has two guns. A rifle and a big black handgun :)

No evidence YET, because no RID YET. There will be violence against drone pilots. Just like there is violence against any misunderstood fringe group. People become violent toward people and things they don't understand. You can play devil's advocate all you want, but RID is going to increase reports of violence between drone owners and the uneducated public.

I have been carrying concealed for 30 years. I never, EVER, leave home without it. I will not give criminals license to kill me or my family. Even to the park... no offense. It takes just one sociopath to walk to the park and start shooting at someone that has crossed them or for some other crazy reason.

If there are six things that I've learned in the 35 years I have owned firearms:

1. Treat all firearms as if they ARE loaded.
2. Do not POINT the weapon at anything you do not want to destroy.
3. Keep your finger OFF the trigger until you are ready to shoot.
4. Be aware of your target and what lies BEYOND it.
5. It's better to have a gun and not need it then to need a gun and not have it.
6. Sometimes the mere presence of a firearm is enough to deter a crime.

The ladder I can attest to. An attempted mugging. I was not having it. I drew, he fled, end of story. My favorite kind. I don't want to be put in a situation where I actually have to use it. I truly do not.

Be safe out there people!
I too support carry permits. But just as important as the above- know the local laws and the prosecutorial temperment of the area. At $400-$1000/hr for an attorney you can be 100% within the law and still find yourself on the verge of bankruptcy defending a lawful action. IMO attorneys could use some regulation, particularly when it comes to legal fees. But when faced with confrontation, particularly if you're carrying, your first duty as a civilian is to retreat if at all possible.

WHY DOES RID DATA HAVE TO BE AVAILABLE TO EVERY SINGLE JOE SCHMO??? Why can't they make the data available only to law enforcement? OUR CAR LICENSE PLATES DO NOT BROADCAST OUR IDENTITIES AND HOME ADDRESSES. Many drone pilots fly from their homes. Public RID data will allow the crazies to harass us at will.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdevyview