DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone shot at and owner accosted

Reactions: MA2 317 and A.O.
I too support carry permits. But just as important as the above- know the local laws and the prosecutorial temperment of the area. At $400-$1000/hr for an attorney you can be 100% within the law and still find yourself on the verge of bankruptcy defending a lawful action. IMO attorneys could use some regulation, particularly when it comes to legal fees. But when faced with confrontation, particularly if you're carrying, your first duty as a civilian is to retreat if at all possible.
If someone comes screaming to me at MY front door, retreat is NOT an option!

Firstly - it happened without RID, so that's a non sequitur. Secondly, I'm quite sure that it would have gone much better if everyone involved had been armed¡
Firstly, no it isn't. RID to the public will make it easier for the whackos. Reasonable people with concerns can either approach the pilot...peacefully...or call their LEOs. RID to the public is just a Whacko Enablement Act.

Secondly, completely agree! A Robert Heinlein character...Lazurus Long, IIRC...said, "An armed society is a polite society!"

:)

TCS

I know that's the point. For which there is zero evidence.
"Evidence" isn't the point. It's a well known law of economics, and also common sense, that if you make something cheaper, people will buy more of it.

RID to the public makes it easier (cheaper) for whackos to do their whacko thing. Hence, there will be more whacko action with RID to the public.

TCS

Reactions: YearZero
Carry is good. I have one concealed carry valid for all 50 US states! It goes with me on travels. But, local walking trips to my neighborhood parks I’d rather leave it home. Toting the toys and packing can sometimes be too much weight. Drones win, guns stay home at the two closest parks.
How did you get a CCW for all 50 states? Military or LEO?

I have CCWs for both Utah and Nevada, and with reciprocity, that's get me a little over 40 states, but not all of them.

Thx,

TCS

If both parties involved have guns...there is no possibility of having the cooler head prevail.....if a guy shoots at my drone..and I have a gun ...what am I going to do with it?.....He is shooting at a drone...if I shoot him....I will wind up in a lot more trouble than he will...just not worth it
The general rule is that you are authorized to use deadly force in defense of yourself or others. No matter how much you love your drone, it won't pass that test.

TCS

I too support carry permits. But just as important as the above- know the local laws and the prosecutorial temperment of the area. At $400-$1000/hr for an attorney you can be 100% within the law and still find yourself on the verge of bankruptcy defending a lawful action. IMO attorneys could use some regulation, particularly when it comes to legal fees. But when faced with confrontation, particularly if you're carrying, your first duty as a civilian is to retreat if at all possible.
IIRC, the NRA (I'm a life member) used to offer insurance against exactly that kind of outcome. I don't know if they still do.

TCS

WHY DOES RID DATA HAVE TO BE AVAILABLE TO EVERY SINGLE JOE SCHMO??? Why can't they make the data available only to law enforcement? OUR CAR LICENSE PLATES DO NOT BROADCAST OUR IDENTITIES AND HOME ADDRESSES. Many drone pilots fly from their homes. Public RID data will allow the crazies to harass us at will.
Completely agreed!

I was seriously annoyed when Nevada started requiring your physical address on your Driver's License...which you flash to whoever, whenever you need ID.

RID to LEOs and FAA---absolutely!
RID to J Random Citizen -- absolutely not!

TCS

Firstly, no it isn't. RID to the public will make it easier for the whackos. Reasonable people with concerns can either approach the pilot...peacefully...or call their LEOs. RID to the public is just a Whacko Enablement Act.

Secondly, completely agree! A Robert Heinlein character...Lazurus Long, IIRC...said, "An armed society is a polite society!"

:)

TCS
I read his post that we do not need RID and we do not need a carry permit.. but maybe I'm wrong reading it that way.

How did you get a CCW for all 50 states? Military or LEO?

I have CCWs for both Utah and Nevada, and with reciprocity, that's get me a little over 40 states, but not all of them.

Thx,

TCS

Read Post #41 above.

The RID data should only be accessible to law enforcement and the FAA. There is no logical reason why it should be available to everyone, it will only cause needless confrontations.

Another reason we do not need RID broadcasting the pilots location and to have a carry permit.
Had no idea they had rednecks in Ohio. I've always heard it's only us Southerners!

I thought I’d read on here somewhere that shooting at a drone falls under the same legislation as shooting at any other aircraft?

The differing perspectives posted make for an interesting read.

I'm pretty much believe in "live and let live". I'm only responsible for myself and my family. I don't have to like what my neighbor does... but it's none of my business.

I believe I qualify as a redneck. I don't consider that derogatory. I've carried for years. Wallet, comb, pocket knife, handgun...part of getting dressed. Still, there is ZERO chance that I would pull a gun on someone shooting at my drone. React in haste, regret in leisure. This is doubly true if I am "somewhere" flying else. If I'm on my property, I suggest you approach me with the understanding that I am king of my domain.

I have zero fear of RID. I suspect that most wacko's won't know how to access it anyway an then won't what to do with the information. If someone wants to find me when I'm flying, all they have to do is follow the drone and they will find me when I fly home. Perhaps I'm naive, but I choose to just get on with my life and deal with issues as they occur. There are enough that I just don't have the time or the energy to worry about what other people think or hypothetical "what if" scenarios.

Concealed carry of a handgun in all 50 states? I did not think there was such a thing unless maybe you are FBI or a Federal Marshal. There is bill in congress for nationwide CCP reciprocity but that will never happen while democrats are in the majority,
Prior so a recent SCOTUS decision, Illinois did not issue carry permits to civilians and Chicago proper required a firearm permit to own a gun within the city- but didn't issue any (unless you were well connected). But SCOTUS sort of opened that up. However aggressive "progressive" states have severely restricted where you can carry to the point where in many cases it's pointless. A few states on the east coast have ridiculous regulations. In Illinois (I'm not sure about other states) if someone slaps one of those little signs on the door it becomes illegal to bring a firearm inside. However a possible unintended consequence of that unless the gun owner has a tough secure lock box in their vehicle they have no choice but to leave it less secure, and while remote, could see that firearm get into the wrong hands illegally... and you know what can happen then if the car gets stolen with the firearm inside. That little sign isn't going to prevent a criminal from brining a weapon inside now, is it?1625967240301.png

As you mentioned there is a bill for all states to recognize all other states CCW permits rather than the hodge podge of reciprocity that exists today. Can the federal government actually require states to do that?

Definitely know the local laws if you have them. We don't have local laws here. Florida is preemptive in that the state government makes all laws regarding firearms. Ex: Broward or Dade county can't enact a law to prohibit firearms in any way shape or form. And signs on businesses that say firearms are not aloud do not carry the weight of law; they mean nothing.

"if you're carrying, your first duty as a civilian is to retreat if at all possible".

Yes, and no. Those who live in Stand Your Ground states like myself, have no duty to retreat. Why should we have to run away from criminals? That will embolden them even more so than now. The criminal will be the one retreating; and quickly.

And yes, it used to be that concealed carry holders had a duty to retreat. Not anymore. I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

Still, there is ZERO chance that I would pull a gun on someone shooting at my drone.
^^ This right here ^^

That's exactly right. That is NOT what a concealed firearm is for. It's for the defense of life, limb, and liberty. Not for intimidation.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliassmith02