DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone shot at and owner accosted

No evidence YET, because no RID YET.
Agreed.
There will be violence against drone pilots.
You guys really don't even begin to comprehend the logical disconnect in your position. I suspect that you are actually hoping that it will happen, just to prove that your imaginary fears are warranted.

Agreed.

You guys really don't even begin to comprehend the logical disconnect in your position. I suspect that you are actually hoping that it will happen, just to prove that your imaginary fears are warranted.
I don't think there is a disconnect at all nor how you could even say that. We are concerned every bit as much, or even moreso than those who were so concerned about drones (with so few incidents over millions of flights) that they implemented RID in such a draconian way. Since RID is aways off it will be awhile before we know for sure. But there are current anecdotes of people already over-reacting for little or no reason. What better target for a mugging is a drone pilot with both hands occupied with a controller focused on piloting a drone? At least drones are banned in NYC so no chance of that happening there.

I have been carrying concealed for 30 years. I never, EVER, leave home without it. I will not give criminals license to kill me or my family. Even to the park... no offense. It takes just one sociopath to walk to the park and start shooting at someone that has crossed them or for some other crazy reason.

If there are six things that I've learned in the 35 years I have owned firearms:

1. Treat all firearms as if they ARE loaded.
2. Do not POINT the weapon at anything you do not want to destroy.
3. Keep your finger OFF the trigger until you are ready to shoot.
4. Be aware of your target and what lies BEYOND it.
5. It's better to have a gun and not need it then to need a gun and not have it.
6. Sometimes the mere presence of a firearm is enough to deter a crime.

The ladder I can attest to. An attempted mugging. I was not having it. I drew, he fled, end of story. My favorite kind. I don't want to be put in a situation where I actually have to use it. I truly do not.

Be safe out there people!
Unfortunately, I cannot carry everywhere I wish as I do shopping and meds on the local military installations. Happy to talk guns via DM, but prefer to keep open forum to drones.

Reactions: Zeprider
I don't think there is a disconnect at all nor how you could even say that. We are concerned every bit as much, or even moreso than those who were so concerned about drones (with so few incidents over millions of flights) that they implemented RID in such a draconian way. Since RID is aways off it will be awhile before we know for sure. But there are current anecdotes of people already over-reacting for little or no reason. What better target for a mugging is a drone pilot with both hands occupied with a controller focused on piloting a drone? At least drones are banned in NYC so no chance of that happening there.
Help me out here. Which situation are you worried about - premeditated, carefully planned drone rage attacks, or premeditated, carefully planned random muggings? Or just the end of the world in general?

The scenario that you should be worried about is that RID fails to achieve its goals, and Congress is left with no choice other than to remove the recreational exemption and put all sUAS operations under Part 107. That risk is real.

Help me out here. Which situation are you worried about - premeditated, carefully planned drone rage attacks, or premeditated, carefully planned random muggings? Or just the end of the world in general?

The scenario that you should be worried about is that RID fails to achieve its goals, and Congress is left with no choice other than to remove the recreational exemption and put all sUAS operations under Part 107. That risk is real.
As another poster said-why is RID available to the public?Is there a technology that coud limit it to the authorities?

You seem to be missing what's happening in America today. There are no longer rules or principles in society or government that govern behavior. If you haven't noticed it's a free-for-all out there. There is no predicting what might when regulations on the horizons aren't implemented yet. But if what you see in the daily news as any indicator, it ain't gonna be good. And yes... Congress is not shy of ignorantly over-stepping in many areas yet ignoring urgent issues.

If both parties involved have guns...there is no possibility of having the cooler head prevail.....if a guy shoots at my drone..and I have a gun ...what am I going to do with it?.....He is shooting at a drone...if I shoot him....I will wind up in a lot more trouble than he will...just not worth it
yea i.ll go with to that shoot a thief would be the same kinda deal for me but given the chance i take the gun and shove it

Another reason we do not need RID broadcasting the pilots location and to have a carry permit
I won’t comment much on this sad state of affairs. Those who personally know me know what will happen if someone is stupid enough to pull a handgun.

I see that happening very easily, especially with all of the drones everyone is selling in stores now.

There is zero evidence YET because the rule isn't in place yet. So some of use are speculating on this being the case just like others are speculating that there is a need for RID in spite of having little evidence that it is needed in the first place... and certainly no evidence that the implementation will help more than hurt. If you read the recent news you may be hearing about a rash of road rage that escalates into shooting. If you don't think that the same type of rage over drones can't escalate into the same thing then you're fooling yourself. There are tons of stories of dudes that want to shoot drones out of the sky, and others that go screaming, hands in the air, hair on fire "there's a drone nearby, there's a drone nearby". I can almost promise that there will be drone rage incidents.
His screen name means:
“Just the facts, ma'am”. Take it with a grain of salt, about his position on this topic.

So..instead of arguing on the forum.....could the members here unite for the purpose of presenting a petition to the FAA to eliminate the aspect of RID that makes the information public to every one with a cell phone? The information is not just going to appear on every cell phone in the world.....someone would actually have to be looking for it...possibly for nefarious reasons, which seems like a valid argument to have it taken out of the regulation.... The basic premise of RID is beneficial to any legitimately operating drone pilot....the only bad art of it is the detail about the information being out there for anyone who wants to look for it...and it will be here ( enforced ) in September 2023 from currently available information....meantime Happy Flying and getting your videos and photos

Firstly - it happened without RID, so that's a non sequitur. Secondly, I'm quite sure that it would have gone much better if everyone involved had been armed¡
I have only two personal rules when I fly and one of them is to never let them see you take off! Once it’s 100 feet in the Air, they won’t see it or hear it!

Reactions: YearZero
Carry is good. I have one concealed carry valid for all 50 US states! It goes with me on travels. But, local walking trips to my neighborhood parks I’d rather leave it home. Toting the toys and packing can sometimes be too much weight. Drones win, guns stay home at the two closest parks.
How do you have a concealed carry permit for all 50 states when there are states that you can't carry or several that will only honor a permit from their state? Unless you are a special government employee... FED... this is not possible.

With respect, pretty much every drone regulation to date has so far been based on imaginary fears.

Of the bazillion recreational and commercial drones sold around the world, how many actual deaths have resulted? Every sensationalized media account of a "near-miss" typically adds some superfluous reference to, "imagine what might have happened if...", while downplaying the fact that a "near-miss" actually means that nothing happened.

For example, this article describes a recent near-miss with a Scottish helicopter.
"AN AIR AMBULANCE flying over Kelty only narrowly avoided disaster as a drone came within 300 feet of a potential crisis in the sky."
www.centralfifetimes.com/news/19431002.kelty-uk-airprox-board-investigation-finds-drone-almost-hit-air-ambulance-flying-fife/

I'm not saying it's impossible for there someday to be an actual disaster. I'm just saying every time a pilot merely sees a drone (or sees a seagull), it's always reported as a potential crisis and a narrowly avoided disaster. As a direct result of the public pressure created by this style of reporting we have an ever increasing amount of regulations, unsupported by any actual data to demonstrate the real level of risk.

The article quotes the Airprox report as saying, "a quadcopter-type drone which passed down the right-hand side of the aircraft at between 100m and 150m distance, and only slightly below their level..." 100m-150m = 328ft-492ft.

Yet, typically, the article states the "drone came within 300ft of a potential crisis." The headline could have more accurately said, "A drone passed as much as 500ft away and below a helicopter, and the pilot never even saw it."

Unusual for this type of reporting, the very last line in the article generously includes this statement,
"In determination, the report stated: "The Board considered that the pilot’s overall account of the incident portrayed a situation where although safety had been reduced, there had been no risk. "

Nonetheless, despite the fact that the drone may have been as far as 150m(492ft) away and below the helicopter and declared as no risk, it was still reported as a potential crisis and narrowly avoided disaster.

I suspect that (you) [the media] are actually hoping that it will happen, just to prove that (your) [their] imaginary fears are warranted.

I also suspect that the regulatory agencies are desperately hoping that it never happens, but in the meantime let's promulgate reams of complicated regulations so our butts are safely covered if it eventually ever does happen.

Reactions: YearZero and A.O.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones