DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Drone through the VW Boneyard? Sure. Hold my whisky.

I couldn't hear you screaming because I ALSO was screaming! :D Yes, there's a square or two out there in the boneyard. 400y up and no trees is how I started a few weeks ago. But there's so much more I want to be able to capture that I was up for taking the challenge. Now, if I could just get the guys in the shop to trim some trees...
Next time ask ME to hold the whiskey! Please?

• Haha
Reactions: Darkside Drone
Although I haven’t got my Air2 up yet (due to weather), I’m going to fly it just like my MM, which had over 300 miles on it without serious mishap. I’m going to use the sensors as backup. I’ve heard the sensors on the Air2 won’t pick up small branches. Reginald, are the sensors on the MP’s more sensitive than the Air2 or are there just more of them?

People were talking about that at Spindown in Colorado. The common opinion was it couldn't see the little twigs on the aspen trees. During a lull in the mighty wind blasts, I tried it, and it warned me of the twigs quite a ways out.

I don't rely on obstacle avoidance, but it's nice that it tells me even when I have it "off."

Hubby challenged me to fly the DJI Mavic2 through our shop's VW boneyard. It's not easy to see the trees... or the forest.
Not too bad for a n00b, but lots of room for improvement.

A buddy of mine that has a couple of FPV drones would be flying thru those windows and all kinds of stuff. He's that good.

Winter flying with no leaves on trees does make it quite a challenge for seeing all those tiny branches. Here in Western NC, going on waterfall hikes is even more nerve racking as you don't want it to hit one of those limbs and then drop into the water.

• Wow
Hubby challenged me to fly the DJI Mavic2 through our shop's VW boneyard. It's not easy to see the trees... or the forest.
Not too bad for a n00b, but lots of room for improvement.

Wow! At first, I was watching to see the crash I knew MUST be coming. But then, the music MATCHED the feel of the derelict cars and I didn't care about the crash when it did finally come. Nice work. Tell him to buy you some insurance! (On the drone)

• Love
Wow! At first, I was watching to see the crash I knew MUST be coming. But then, the music MATCHED the feel of the derelict cars and I didn't care about the crash when it did finally come. Nice work. Tell him to buy you some insurance! (On the drone)
That's a good idea! Thanks for noticing the music sync :D

A buddy of mine that has a couple of FPV drones would be flying thru those windows and all kinds of stuff. He's that good.

Winter flying with no leaves on trees does make it quite a challenge for seeing all those tiny branches. Here in Western NC, going on waterfall hikes is even more nerve racking as you don't want it to hit one of those limbs and then drop into the water.
It's baffling how hard these twigs are to see! Hubby has warned that an upcoming challenge will be to fly THROUGH a FINISHED Volkswagen. My palms are sweating already. One scratch in the paint would mean dozens of hours of rework for him. I'd better practice on the cores in the boneyard!

People were talking about that at Spindown in Colorado. The common opinion was it couldn't see the little twigs on the aspen trees. During a lull in the mighty wind blasts, I tried it, and it warned me of the twigs quite a ways out.

I don't rely on obstacle avoidance, but it's nice that it tells me even when I have it "off."
What settings do you use? I'm finding some make the drone just stop. Some send it high into the air (where it sometimes encounters even more twigs!). And off... well, we've seen what happens then!

What settings do you use? I'm finding some make the drone just stop. Some send it high into the air (where it sometimes encounters even more twigs!). And off... well, we've seen what happens then!

The settings are pretty simple, though there are lots of questions about them.

Obstacle Bypass.jpg

Bypass: The drone will try to find itself around an obstacle. Pretty useful in tracking mode, but it's easily confused. It once went into a tree instead of around, then was stuck until I manually backed it out and steered it around the tree.

Obstacle Break.jpg

Brake: The drone stops.

Obstacle Off.jpg

Off: The app beeps and shows you there's an obstacle, but if you insist will fly into it. I usually use this mode to manually steer it around nearby objects, or straight into a tree.

• Love
The settings are pretty simple, though there are lots of questions about them.

View attachment 125478

Bypass: The drone will try to find itself around an obstacle. Pretty useful in tracking mode, but it's easily confused. It once went into a tree instead of around, then was stuck until I manually backed it out and steered it around the tree.

View attachment 125479

Brake: The drone stops.

View attachment 125480

Off: The app beeps and shows you there's an obstacle, but if you insist will fly into it. I usually use this mode to manually steer it around nearby objects, or straight into a tree.
THAT is, by far, the best, simplest, (and funniest) explanation I've seen. Thank you!!!

Reactions: Tentoes
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deauxpamine