DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drones and airport security

I have yet to travel internationally with my Mavic or P3P, but so far traveling around the U.S. I haven't had any issues. I always hand-carried drone and drone batteries at 50% charged or less. So far, TSA has not once asked me to open my drone case/backpack.

Here is more info: Mavic Air Travel Documentation

I'm on holiday in Florida from the UK at the moment. I was hoping to buy a Mavic out here but couldn't find one anywhere. In the end I purchased one from this forum. You will need to register your details with the drone serial number online with the FAA. The details can be found here Fly for Fun I'm really jealous as the scenery around here is beautiful!

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

On the trail end of a 3 week European vacation (Ireland, Spain, Portugal) and Airpot Security never mentioned my MavicPro or the three fully charged batteries (forgot to discharge for the last flight across the pond) I did have them in lipo pouches, FWIW

... or the three fully charged batteries (forgot to discharge for the last flight across the pond) I did have them in lipo pouches, FWIW

There is no requirement to discharge batteries before a flight.

I would still do it just because it makes sense, but it isn't something required by IATA or the airlines.

You must carry them on board, not check into the hold, and you must protect the terminals to prevent shorting and the use of a lipo pouch isn't required either, but it is one way to achieve the required protection from shorting, just don't put more than one pack in a pouch.

I took mine through Heathrow T5 to Florida a few weeks ago, T5 security checkers flagged it and called their manager who was super interested and said he wanted to buy a Mavic, after 5 mins of chat he said there are no issues taking it through, batteries as well (had mine in Lipo bags just to show I was being responsible :)

Had no issues in Florida, stay away from Disney parks they are very anti drone but otherwise obey local laws and have fun.

on the way home the TSA did not even give it a second glance

There is no requirement to discharge batteries before a flight.

I would still do it just because it makes sense, but it isn't something required by IATA or the airlines.

You must carry them on board, not check into the hold, and you must protect the terminals to prevent shorting and the use of a lipo pouch isn't required either, but it is one way to achieve the required protection from shorting, just don't put more than one pack in a pouch.

Correct, it is not required to discharge the batteries.

Lipo pouches are required by TSA though!

No, really they are not.

The primary suggestion is to use the original retail packaging, and you'll never see a specific reference to any of the so called 'Lipo Safe' bags as there is no standard for them to be assessed against.

All the TSA care about is that the terminals are protected from shorting and that you are carrying them in a safe manner to minimise the risk of damage.

Correct, it is not required to discharge the batteries.

Pouches are not required by TSA, just got back from HI to CA no issue @ check point/scanner.
But on my way out from CA to HI, TSA @ SMF flagged my GPC HSC and passed it 2x on the scanner and ended up opening it for visual.
After a while I was told "have a good time" by the TSA super, I said 'thanks" and I was on my way.

facb5af76a459c89c0e94408859bcd87.jpg

73e4b8ed374b77b4625ddecc66c3e348.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78