DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drones near airforce base and prison

Sounds like the government needs to rethink this exclusion zone garbage.

Sure there are places drones should just not be, but come on just a blanket ban, everywhere in a 5 mile circle. I bet most of said circle is not even used by maned aircraft.
Like a five mile circle around a helipad for a hospital, that is not even used once a month. ( I see the less the better~ as people have not gotten hurt bad) I can see a one mile circle of total ban. But five miles?
Or a 5 mile keep out zone around a seasonally ( used only 3 months a year) used ag field.
It's 2.5 miles here and you can get consent to fly if nothing is happening.

In the U.S. there are not 5-mile NFZs around helipads.

The concern with prisons isn't other aircraft, it's that drones are being used to drop contraband into the prisons.

Yep. I am aware of one with a huge net over the exercise yard. Not just drones, but helicopters providing a quick exit...

As in, they fly in the same airspace as drones so how does the FAA handle it? Do they issue a temporary NFZ for all the fields that the crop duster is planning of working that day or is it every man for himself? Just wondering how that was handled.

Interesting point. As a pilot you trained to do a scan, across the instruments and then across the sky. As a unmanned aircraft pilot you are required to fly within direct line of sight. The implication is that you will also do a scan. In some ways it is easier because you can hear more. If you are in a remote area and hear a crop duster as you call them (top dresser in NZ) or helicopter arrive you get out of the way because you can see them and they can not see you. The likelihood is way lower than an airport which is there to carry traffic.

In NZ you can ring the tower or owner and get permission to fly of there is no traffic. You should be licensed so you understand how air traffic works. Not for the average drone pilot. However, I have met an amateur who has had consent to fly above hills (Makara) which are on the flight path for our capital Wellington when the wind and traffic was heading a different route. No sure about where you live...

Reactions: TR Ganey
Yep. I am aware of one with a huge net over the exercise yard. Not just drones, but helicopters providing a quick exit...

Maybe not a “nfz” but the faa app lists the local hospitals helo pad in a circle just like any airport.

Ok just reread the b4 u fly app, it is just listing me as “within” 5 miles.
Not a nfz.
as for a helo escape. Any good shot with a proper scoped 30.06 should put a stop to that route. But then not all prison yards even have guards these days. I know as I used to deliver steel to the prisons in northern ca.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jimbod