DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dual devices??

BerndM

Reactions
I use an iPad Mini 4 128gb WiFi only for my viewing device plugged into the controller's bottom USB connector.
This iPad does NOT have the cellular feature and therefore it has no GPS.:(
What if I attached my Samsung Galaxy S7 to the controller's side port to use the phone's GPS capability :rolleyes:
Could this possibly work?

Why not just use your cell phone as a wifi hotspot? That way you can keep it in your pocket.

To answer the question, no. Only one port can be used at a time.

And the suggestion above is of no use, he obviously didn't read your post correctly. Hotspot won't give you GPS.

To answer the question, no. Only one port can be used at a time.

And the suggestion above is of no use, he obviously didn't read your post correctly. Hotspot won't give you GPS.
I read it correctly....it's just that many others here have suggested that this will work to supply GPS. I have no firsthand knowledge -- I was just passing along other people's comments in other threads. However, I know you have greater knowledge on the topic, so I'll yield to you.

As usual, there's lots of incorrect information floating around :)

GPS is not a function of wifi or data connections. Your device must have GPS functionality (period).

Last edited:
When you’re flying your using the Mavic’s GPS, not the phone or tablet. On the phone or tablet, you just need a map loaded for the area you are in. When I fly I load the map on my iPhone (both regular and satellite view), then put my phone in airplane mode. Map will cache in GO4 app for flight.

When I use my wi-fi iPad mini, I first load the map using my iPhone hot spot. Then put my phone in airplane mode to avoid any signal interference.

Reactions: superdave5050
I do use my iPhone for the hot spot for the iPad. It does load correctly the maps and flying area and proper home spot on map. I will say I do t use the extra flight modes at all so I’m. It sure about that stuff. I just fly !

Hmmmm
So it appears that the ONLY way to have GPS functionality is to have the viewing device be directly GPS capable. Major bummer.
DJI needs to get off the pot and figure out how to make the controller GPS capable.
They were smart enough back about 3 years ago when they made an add on GPS module for the NAZA flight controller like I have on my DJI F450 Flamewheel. It is the ONLY quad of the 3 I use that I am totally confident in.
Don't tell me they forgot how. That would be an ultimate shame.

I get that and do it to see the area that I am flying in no problem.
The issue I am trying to mitigate is the unavailability for my Mavic to RTH to the controller location if I move from the original takeoff point.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twixer_bear