DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dumb question ???

Skibum

Reactions
A hypothetical situation. I am at the rim of the Grand Canyon in Arizona, USA. I didn't change any settings. The drone is set for 400 feet maximum. I take off straight up to 400 feet. Then I fly out over the rim towards the middle. Does the drone start going down the further out I go trying to maintain 400 feet?

The displayed altitude of the drone is relative to the take-off point not its actual altitude above the ground except when it is hovering directly above the take-off point.

Reactions: WizDrone
The displayed altitude of the drone is relative to the take-off point not its actual altitude above the ground except when it is hovering directly above the take-off point.
Okay makes sense. How about the opposite. I start at the bottom and go to 400 feet. Still not changing the settings. Would I be able to climb out of the canyon using the slanted walls? Or would I have to land at 400 feet on the side of the canyon and take off to reset the altimeter.

@Skibum, if the maximum is 400 feet, you will not be able to fly higher after the current altitude in the DJI GO app shows you're Mavic is at 400 feet.

Elevation up or down is based on the take off home point elevation, unless you revise the home point during flight

Resetting the home point only changes the location (latitude & longitude) of the home point.

Oh, didn't know that. thanks

So will the sensors on the bottom realize that the ground location has changed and stop the MP from flying below grade, or if flying over the canyon, allow it to land 400 feet lower then it took off from

Oh, didn't know that. thanks

So will the sensors on the bottom realize that the ground location has changed and stop the MP from flying below grade, or if flying over the canyon, allow it to land 400 feet lower then it took off from
You can land it anywhere - except... Using 400 feet as the preset ceiling, you cannot land 401+ feet above you, but you could certainly land 1,000 (+/-) feet below your takeoff point.

will the sensors on the bottom realize that the ground location has changed and stop the MP from flying below grade
No.

If the Landing Protection setting is enabled in DJI GO, the Mavic will automatically switch to Forced Landing mode when the bottom sensors detect the ground (or some other l landing surface) is near. When Forced Landing mode is initiated, the Mavic will automatically descend until it reaches the ground and the motors will shut off.

If the Landing Protection setting is disabled in DJI GO, the Mavic will continue to descend until it cannot descend anymore due to reaching the ground. At that point, the motors will shut off if the pilot continues to hold the throttle stick in the full down position.

Does the altimeter display in the negatives below initial takeoff point?

Actually just a thought, if you are flying up the wall of the Grand Canyon from the bottom and you were lesser than 400 from the wall would you not be able to follow it all the way up and get to 400 feet above the wall elevation? Just saying because this is all theoretical since you cannot fly in the Grand Canyon.

Actually just a thought, if you are flying up the wall of the Grand Canyon from the bottom and you were lesser than 400 from the wall would you not be able to follow it all the way up and get to 400 feet above the wall elevation?
You can only fly a maximum of 500 meters above the takeoff point. If the obstacle you're flying next to is taller than 500 meters, then, no, you won't be able to follow it all the way up.

Just saying because this is all theoretical since you cannot fly in the Grand Canyon.
The Grand Canyon has a maximum depth of 6,093 feet (per Wikipedia). So, there are definitely areas where you would not be able to fly all the way up if taking off from the base of the canyon.

You can only fly a maximum of 500 meters above the takeoff point. If the obstacle you're flying next to is taller than 500 meters, then, no, you won't be able to follow it all the way up.

The Grand Canyon has a maximum depth of 6,093 feet (per Wikipedia). So, there are definitely areas where you would not be able to fly all the way up if taking off from the base of the canyon.
Oh yes very good point

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54