DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Dun Telve Iron age Broch, Glenelg, Scotland

AlbionDrones

Reactions
Site
www.youtube.com
Today's Highland Drone video is the wonderful Dun Telve Broch in Glenelg, one of 3 brochs in the glen.

Captured during our epic 'Road to the Isles' daytrip this was the 3rd location filmed that day from a total of 9 - thankfully the in-car charger meant I had some battery life to play with at each stop!

Dun Telve is 2000 years old, and was built without mortar, if not for a large amount of its stone having been pilfered by the English Army to build Bernera Barracks it may yet be in better condition and almost complete...

Your videos are so darn good, and this is no exception. What's the back story on this place? Looked like the was a priest there. But if it is 2000 years old, it predates the Christian era.

Reactions: AlbionDrones
Today's Highland Drone video is the wonderful Dun Telve Broch in Glenelg, one of 3 brochs in the glen.

Captured during our epic 'Road to the Isles' daytrip this was the 3rd location filmed that day from a total of 9 - thankfully the in-car charger meant I had some battery life to play with at each stop!

Dun Telve is 2000 years old, and was built without mortar, if not for a large amount of its stone having been pilfered by the English Army to build Bernera Barracks it may yet be in better condition and almost complete...

Nice flying !!!

Dale
Miami

Your videos are so darn good, and this is no exception. What's the back story on this place? Looked like the was a priest there. But if it is 2000 years old, it predates the Christian era.
Thanks for the comment on my flying Jim, definitely pre-Christian, however there are no records from the time, so although believed defensive no-one really knows... The double wall allows for ascension internally with stone staircases, and it is thought they had a bottom level for animals, next level or two for humans and grain / smoked meat storage at the top with a wooden internal structure and floors, but no-one knows for sure... The most complete one is Mousa on Shetland, and I have that on my wish list of places to visit... Dun Troddan - just up the valley - is in a similar state to Dun Telve, and I got some footage from above which will be shared in due course...

I did pop the Wiki history onto the notes ofr the video, may be of some use to start further research if interested, and there is also the Caithness Broch project who are looking to rebuild a broch as a living history project...

Yet Another Awesome video!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charliesunique