DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dust/Dirt in the Mavic's front vent?

armoredsaint

Reactions
Being new to the Mavic, any concerns with dust and dirt being sucked into the Mavic? I know there's a fan that will keep the boards cool, but over time doesn't it build up, just like the insides of my gaming computer and laptop that will eventually need a cleaning?

Yep most likely.. but it will probably take you a year before your Mavic has run as much as your PC does in one week.

Reactions: dewster
It should be a serious concern....which is why you should never launch from any ground surface. Add some leg extensions will help but are not a 100% elimination to debris.

A folding landing pad doesn't take up much room and does a decent job of keeping the takeoff / landing surface free of dust!!

Computers are abused. They often sit on the floor in a dusty environment. The desktops are a hassle to move around to get to those dust bunnies.

I would be careful taking off and landing in dusty/sandy environments. Pollen season could really wreck havoc on cleanliness of the Mavic. My car gets coated in yellow/green pollen in the spring. Maybe we need to come up with an air filter for dusty environments.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

The Mavic vents have a basic filter. They will filter out the larger more problematic debris. That being said the dust is still a factor, but with the high ventilation during flight, it's safe to say, depending on the location that the dust will more likely blow through, or accumulate faster.

Don't worry about it. They will be unflyable before dust is a problem. The Mavic lets air in and out. Just be mindful of where you take off and land. The gimbal cover would help as the slit is there for airflow. Or even the sunshade. But again. Dust won't be killing the Mavic. Something else will get to it first. Compressed air I would use for sensors etc. Just be careful using compressed air causes the liquid to come out when the can gets cold or if on an angle. So make sure it's room temp and the can is up right. I use it to clean the LiDar on my Neato Robotic Vacuum hahah. The Mavic will surely benefit from it as dust and sensors don't mix. Just try not to get any liquid from the compressed air on the Mavic.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I wouldnt worry so much about it. I had my vent screen hit in an accident and my fan couldn't spin. I didn't notice until it kept shutting off when I was trying to do some calibrations. Then I realized it was really hot and the fan wasnt working. So electronically it would be ok if it got hot assuming it was shutting down from some heat sensor. Now I dont know if I was lucky it wasnt flying or if it just stays cooler flying or if the sensor knows it was flying? But taking it apart to clean it isnt that big a deal so Im not worried. And I would assume a filter would restrict air and that it would take a lot of dust to actually cause an issue.

I wouldnt worry so much about it. I had my vent screen hit in an accident and my fan couldn't spin. I didn't notice until it kept shutting off when I was trying to do some calibrations. Then I realized it was really hot and the fan wasnt working. So electronically it would be ok if it got hot assuming it was shutting down from some heat sensor. Now I dont know if I was lucky it wasnt flying or if it just stays cooler flying or if the sensor knows it was flying? But taking it apart to clean it isnt that big a deal so Im not worried. And I would assume a filter would restrict air and that it would take a lot of dust to actually cause an issue.
Exactly - Most people with filters on their computer intakes forget to clean them regularly, which is worse than just letting dust slowly accumulate on components. When it comes to cleaning I'll probably blow the Mavic out with nitrogen every few months, however, I'm not going to worry about it too much.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78