DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Erie Canal Locks - A Photo Essay

spsphotos

Reactions
Little photo essay I put together for my local photo club's annual competition. It's a combinations of drone and DLSR images and footage. Created in Premiere Pro...still learning it and trying out some new techniques I learned.

Nice! I remember studying this in grade school.

I like the combination of video clips with photos also and have used it many times myself.

Just wondering if the crop factor on the whole clip was intentional?

Yes, was intentional....the club uses a 4:3 ratio for its competitions (1400x1050) so I decided to keep that for the essay as it will show on everyone's screen in the Zoom session. I am considering redoing it at 16:9.

Yes, was intentional....the club uses a 4:3 ratio for its competitions (1400x1050) so I decided to keep that for the essay as it will show on everyone's screen in the Zoom session. I am considering redoing it at 16:9.
Thanks, understand now. Please post the other 16:9 version if you decide to update.

I liked it. There were many very good images, processed very professionally. But since you're considering re-doing it (with 16:9, which I think would be spectacular), may I suggest you lose the borders? With all the movement, and sliding and zooming I found the borders to be an unnecessary element that totally distracted me from the wonderful photography. If you've studied "psychographics" formally or informally you already know that the eye tends to go toward the brightest element first. I know you were going for that "old-time postcard" feel and was successful with that concept. But again, I think it stole attention from your imaging.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Here is the 16:9 version, and in 4k if you choose. I'll create a version without the borders and see what that feels like.

Reactions: John235
I like the 16:9 so much better. And this format makes the borders much less distracting. I think the extra horizontal real estate makes the images more weighty and offsets some of the effect of the borders. Very nice.

I liked it. There were many very good images, processed very professionally. But since you're considering re-doing it (with 16:9, which I think would be spectacular), may I suggest you lose the borders? With all the movement, and sliding and zooming I found the borders to be an unnecessary element that totally distracted me from the wonderful photography. If you've studied "psychographics" formally or informally you already know that the eye tends to go toward the brightest element first. I know you were going for that "old-time postcard" feel and was successful with that concept. But again, I think it stole attention from your imaging.
I sort of agree with Vindibona. Absolutely wonderful images throughout the show, but the white borders, and zoom tend to distract and get a little old after a few slides. Your compositions, and photography are impressive. Timing of each slide was good. YOUR IMAGES CAN STAND BY THEMSELVES WITHOUT ALL OF THE BORDERS AND ZOOMING.
Dale

Little photo essay I put together for my local photo club's annual competition. It's a combinations of drone and DLSR images and footage. Created in Premiere Pro...still learning it and trying out some new techniques I learned.

Is that a Schenectady only photo club or is it open to the surrounding towns?

Excellent! I have always wanted to see as much of the canal as possible! I live down near Binghamton NY and fly the Mavic Air 2.

I loved both the original and the 16:9 version of the essay. Visited Western New York a number of years ago and did a canal tour. One of the highlights of the trip for me.

Question: do you know if there are regulations prohibiting flying a drone near the locks? I know DHS gets funky about transportation assets. I would love to see some straight down shots of some of the locks.

I like the 16:9 so much better. And this format makes the borders much less distracting. I think the extra horizontal real estate makes the images more weighty and offsets some of the effect of the borders. Very nice.
There's no question that this 16:9 format is easier on the eye. Yet, the slide show effect gets a little "old" after a while and I prefer a different transition (dissolve). The expert photography is the star of this show, not the editing, transition, music, etc.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scaredycat