DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Experience with Motorola G4 Plus Phone

Gsmithwa

Reactions
I thought I would contribute my experiences with using my Motorola G4 Plus phone with the Mavic Pro, using both DJI GO 4 and Litchi.

I've had the Mavic Pro for about 8 months. Initially DJI GO 4 would constantly crash, so I changed to Litchi, which appeared stable and fast. I kept up to date with the released software and firmware mods.

Recently I've found that both DJI GO 4 and Litchi both struggle on the phone. Now the Motorola G4 Plus is not a high end phone - more mid range in performance and a good price. I'm very happy with it, especially Android 7.1 and the bright screen (at 650 nits it's the brightest of the budget phones - I rarely need to use a sunshade).

I did the usual. Suspecting that newer firmware and DJI GO 4 apps needed more power, I downgraded to 1.03.0700, DJI GO 4 4.1.15, and Litchi 3.10.10 (the Litchi guys were good enough to provide the old apk). There was some improvement, but I still found the video breaking up after about 15 mins flying. I tried lots of things.

The cut a long story short, it's now summer in Australia and the phone is getting hot. It appears when the phone internals get beyond 45DegC, the processor maximum frequency drops from 1.4Ghz to about 0.8Ghz. With the higher ambient temperatures, more sunshine and high screen brightness it makes sense the phone will get hotter.

So now I'm on a mission to keep the phone cooler. After spending AUD$1600 on the Mavic, I don;t really want to fork out another AUD$1000 for a high end phone.

Cheers for now from Australia. Greg Smith

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
I have a Moto G5 plus that works alright. I didn't have any issues until the newest update, but it's still not bad after uninstalling and reinstalling Go4

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UR7CR