DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

External Storage for media, dji seagate drive versus others

Rbruz

Reactions
Beg of March I searched an easy way to off load media while on trips, not many affordable options.

Best I found and now over a month of using I really am digging the Toshiba Canvio Aerocast wireless priced at only $70 for 1tb

The huge bonus for me is that you can set up auto transfer from sd straight into the drive by passing the need for a device ( saves battery time on the bird, controller and tablet).

a1a951b583cd9b29ac93d43bcaa77b5d.jpg

Its been a dream to use with ipad mini2

Thought I would share as I have had many sea gate drives fail over the years and only buy WD or Toshibas for past ten years! At $50 less you can almost get a second mavic battery instead of the toshiba wannabe dji/seagate version.

Last edited:
I have exactly the same product with the autobackup feature turned on, i love it. Its a bargain compared to similar products and it functions perfectly!

Reactions: Rbruz
This is the main reason why we have so many trouble importing stuffs like this.

Toshiba Canvio AeroCast 1TB Wireless Hard Drive (HDTU110XKWC1)
Price: $72.98 + $89.54 Shipping & Import Fees Deposit to Brazil

Can you believe that? And that amount does not count the fee for purchasing with a credit card.

This is the main reason why we have so many trouble importing stuffs like this.

Toshiba Canvio AeroCast 1TB Wireless Hard Drive (HDTU110XKWC1)
Price: $72.98 + $89.54 Shipping & Import Fees Deposit to Brazil

Can you believe that? And that amount does not count the fee for purchasing with a credit card.

**** !!!

I go to Panama in two weeks can get one to there if you know anyone going back and forth to there from Brazil

Interesting product for sure. I wonder if it would be worth taking on a backpacking trip. You wouldn't have the possibility to weigh the device? I'm curious about the exact weight.

Interesting product for sure. I wonder if it would be worth taking on a backpacking trip. You wouldn't have the possibility to weigh the device? I'm curious about the exact weight.

Will work on that my guess is 15oz

Have no clue as I don't ever fill that much, if ya go to Toshibas specs it will give ya speeds. I roll with 3 64g cards so I just swap out as I don't like to much on a card in case the bird takes off back to Shenzhen ;)

Reactions: Soundtekk
Beg of March I searched an easy way to off load media while on trips, not many affordable options.

Best I found and now over a month of using I really am digging the Toshiba Canvio Aerocast wireless priced at only $70 for 1tb

The huge bonus for me is that you can set up auto transfer from sd straight into the drive by passing the need for a device ( saves battery time on the bird, controller and tablet).

a1a951b583cd9b29ac93d43bcaa77b5d.jpg

Its been a dream to use with ipad mini2

Thought I would share as I have had many sea gate drives fail over the years and only buy WD or Toshibas for past ten years! At $50 less you can almost get a second mavic battery instead of the toshiba wannabe dji/seagate version.

I was about to buy when I found this information on specs:

"Supports SD™/SDHC™/SDXC™ memory card, Class 10
compatible."

Now I'm a little bit afraid because I use only SDXC Class 3 cards.

Somebody can confirm if the Toshiba AeroCast suport SDXC Class 3?

I was about to buy when I found this information on specs:

"Supports SD™/SDHC™/SDXC™ memory card, Class 10
compatible."

Now I'm a little bit afraid because I use only SDXC Class 3 cards.

Somebody can confirm if the Toshiba AeroCast suport SDXC Class 3?

That means it can support up to Class 10. So you are good.

Reactions: ZALEXANDERK
So no need for a laptop!! That's mad some guy told me the only way was the hyperdrive thing cost $600 Aussie, so that's all I need to store everything on a big trip with no internet or laptop

Yeah that WD looked good but I didn't need 1t and well over double the money to spend, spent that extra on batteries, as 1t is plenty for traveling. You don't need 3rd party to plug into a mac, the app how ever is great for the ipad and iphone makes it great for so many reasons works good. If ya don't wanna spend nearly $200 just to store media the toshiba is plenty fine, if ya a baller then wd is great.

Yeah that WD looked good but I didn't need 1t and well over double the money to spend, spent that extra on batteries, as 1t is plenty for traveling. You don't need 3rd party to plug into a mac, the app how ever is great for the ipad and iphone makes it great for so many reasons works good. If ya don't wanna spend nearly $200 just to store media the toshiba is plenty fine, if ya a baller then wd is great.

Good to know on drivers. I read multiple places that the driver was needed for proper access or drive would have issues with permissions on data transfer.

I justified the additional cost and space since I would use the drive for other things like the photo's that are taken and transferred to the device could be accessed and played back even if there was no computer around and also if I put some movies in addition to the videos being recorded by the Mavic for viewing purposes when vacationing again without the need for a cloud connection or a computer.

Basically this way it is not only storing my content that is being created by me when traveling but also viewable by others while still traveling and being able to play back movies through Plex that is built into the unit.

Clarifying on the driver. From what I understand the driver that is included with the Toshiba is an older version that is not compatible with the latest OS on the Mac. A third party driver that is compatible to offer NTFS access would need to be purchased in addition to the drive in order for it to be accessible with the latest versions of the Apple Mac OS X.

I am going off info that has been stated online. I do not own the drive and do not know if in fact Toshiba is still including old drivers that a Mac user would not be able to use.

Clarifying on the driver. From what I understand the driver that is included with the Toshiba is an older version that is not compatible with the latest OS on the Mac. A third party driver that is compatible to offer NTFS access would need to be purchased in addition to the drive in order for it to be accessible with the latest versions of the Apple Mac OS X.

I am going off info that has been stated online. I do not own the drive and do not know if in fact Toshiba is still including old drivers that a Mac user would not be able to use.

Have an imac i7 27" and it will usb or wifi just fine, IOS is not latest but not 5 yrs ago prob the one prior to latest upgrade as I didn't wanna spend a fortune on new photoshop AI LR etc

Reactions: macinfosys
Interesting device! I was considering the RAVPower filehub plus as a way to transfer files from memory cards to an external hard drive without a computer for a long hiking trip. This would actually eliminate the need for the hard drive but my concern would be its durability. With the RavPower I can backup to a few eternal drives easier i think.....options.

Amazon.com: RAVPower FileHub Plus, Wireless Travel Router, SD Card Reader USB Portable Hard Drive Companion, DLNA NAS Sharing Media Streamer 6000mAh External Battery Pack: Computers & Accessories

Interesting device! I was considering the RAVPower filehub plus as a way to transfer files from memory cards to an external hard drive without a computer for a long hiking trip. This would actually eliminate the need for the hard drive but my concern would be its durability. With the RavPower I can backup to a few eternal drives easier i think.....options.

Amazon.com: RAVPower FileHub Plus, Wireless Travel Router, SD Card Reader USB Portable Hard Drive Companion, DLNA NAS Sharing Media Streamer 6000mAh External Battery Pack: Computers & Accessories

I bought this 4 days ago and it is going back. I had the same EXACT scenario I was thinking of using it as but it cannot handle file sizes above 4gb. The files coming from DJI are 4.09 gig so it does not transfer them. :-(

I liked the size a LOT and it's battery capacity to time ratio. But since it didn't work with the file sizes I ended up getting a return label and bought the WD I listed above which came in today. I will be testing that later tonight / tomorrow.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliassmith02