DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA divides airspace into smaller segments

Prop Wash

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I'm subscribed to UAV Coach's weekly videos. In last week's video @:42, he stated the FAA annouced the NAS has been divided into smaller segments, giving drone pilot more places to fly. But I have been looking @ the FAA websites and haven't been able to find any specifics to back up his statement.

@Vic Moss @BigAl07 - Have you heard of this? I'm curious to understand what it means for UAV Pilots.

Last edited:
Reactions: aerialnorthwest
I'm subscribed to UAV Coach's weekly videos. In last week's video @:42, he stated the FAA annouced the NAS has been divided into smaller segments, giving drone pilot more places to fly. But I have been looking @ the FAA websites and haven't been able to find any specifics to back up his statement.

@Vic Moss @BigA - Have you heard of this? I'm curious to understand what it means for UAV Pilots.
News to me.

I think I'm pretty in tune with the FAA 😉, and I haven't heard anything at all about this.

Let me reach out and see what he's talking about. I usually don't get answers on weekends, but I'll try.

... actually, after giving a bit more think time, I believe I know what he's talking about.

The issue is he isn't clear. And he's inaccurate about using LAANC (pronounced Lance). Recreational flyers have been able to use LAANC for airspace approval for quite a while. Adam isn't clear at all. Or he's just wrong.

The FAA opened up LAANC for night flights under 44809 just a couple of weeks ago. But recreational flyers been able to use LAANC for daylight ops up to the UASFM AGL limits for quite a while. Adan doesn't make that very clear.

As far as the "divided airspace", or at least if this is what he's talking about, the FAA has been updating UASFM grids for a few months now. They've gone from 1 minute of latitude by 1 minute of longitude to 15 seconds of latitude and longitude in the newer UASFMs. This has given more flexibility to ATC UAS POCs to change the limits drones can fly in. So this may be what he's talking about. He's just not that clear. Which is shame, since those two schools are supposed to be able to explain things to new drone owners better.

As far as UASFM changes, just like sectional charts, UASFMs are supposed to be updated every 56 days. But that rarely happens.

Hopefully this is what Adam is talking about. UAS Coach needs to more clear in the newscasts.

Last edited:
@Vic Moss - I appreciate your input on this. I agree, Adam wasn't clear. I don't know why he/the school would drop a teaser in there without further explanation.
I am, though, left with questions regarding changing the UASFMs. In your explanation:
"They've gone from 1 minute of latitude by 1 minute of longitude to 15 seconds of latitude and longitude in the newer UASFMs. This has given more flexibility to ATC UAS POCs to change the limits drones can fly in."
Is this good for UAS pilots or does it bring more limits?

Reactions: aerialnorthwest
@Vic Moss - I appreciate your input on this. I agree, Adam wasn't clear. I don't know why he/the school would drop a teaser in there without further explanation.
I am, though, left with questions regarding changing the UASFMs. In your explanation:
"They've gone from 1 minute of latitude by 1 minute of longitude to 15 seconds of latitude and longitude in the newer UASFMs. This has given more flexibility to ATC UAS POCs to change the limits drones can fly in."
Is this good for UAS pilots or does it bring more limits?
More flexibility.

In past grids, if any one part of the grid had to be a 0'AGL grid, then they whole thing had to. For instance if it was near a hospital helipad. The POC had no choice but to put that entire grid into a 0'AGL grid. Now, if there is a hospital in a grid that needs a 0'AGL limit, they have the flexibility to have other parts of that grid at 100' or more.

Opens up more airspace to drones w/o having to apply for a manual LAANC or 107.41.

I look forward to being able to see these new grids. The restricted flight area where I live shows many grid areas at the outer perimeter of the area as being in the 0 ft area.But the area just outside the RFA is, of course, at 400' which makes no sense.

Reactions: Prop Wash
All sounds very interesting. Amongst the detail I learnt one very basic thing, I didn’t know that LAANC is pronounced Lance-thanks Vic

Reactions: Prop Wash
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure