DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA Drone ID Proposal:

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get what you're arguing. That we in a free society should turn over our skies and flight data to foreign interests, while we have no access to Chinese skies or the same drone flight data in China? How is that responsible, let alone fair? In the long history of the world, totalitarian societies have taken advantage of open democracies to destroy same. It's what totalitarian societies, and authoritarians, do.
While China may have access to this from flight data, it is not what is being required to be transmitted for RID (kind of an ironic acronym isn’t it) and collected for viewing by the general public through an app linking to the USS and stored for use by LE agencies.

This is all so you can order something through your phone or computer and have it delivered to your present position within 30 minutes and make big business even richer while they take over the airspace you can presently use without all of the expense that will come about in just a few short years.

Reactions: dwolfe002
While China may have access to this from flight data, it is not what is being required to be transmitted for RID (kind of an ironic acronym isn’t it) and collected for viewing by the general public through an app linking to the USS and stored for use by LE agencies.

This is all so you can order something through your phone or computer and have it delivered to your present position within 30 minutes and make big business even richer while they take over the airspace you can presently use without all of the expense that will come about in just a few short years.
If local law enforcement can view all this data, so can foreign intelligence agencies. Obviously, as the Commerical Drone Allience itself says, this is all about the expeditious opening of American skies for wealthy, commercial interests. The point is, this proposal requires careful and critical study, not a sloppy rush job as we see with these slapdash and vague proposed regs.

Congress should order the FAA to hold the bus until this can be examined properly and fairly for the real benefit all Americans. What are the ramifications?

“Our main concern is the implementation period, which is needlessly up to 3 years. Until remote ID is implemented, the American public will be deprived of many of the vast safety, humanitarian and efficiency benefits of commercial drones,” Commercial Drone Alliance executive director Lisa Ellman told CNBC. “We need implementation yesterday, not 3 years from now.”

If local law enforcement can view all this data, so can foreign intelligence agencies. Obviously, as the Commerical Drone Allience itself says, this is all about the expeditious opening of American skies for wealthy, commercial interests. The point is, this proposal requires careful and critical study, not a sloppy rush job as we see with these slapdash and vague proposed regs.

Congress should order the FAA to hold the bus until this can be examined properly and fairly for the real benefit all Americans. What are the ramifications?

“Our main concern is the implementation period, which is needlessly up to 3 years. Until remote ID is implemented, the American public will be deprived of many of the vast safety, humanitarian and efficiency benefits of commercial drones,” Commercial Drone Alliance executive director Lisa Ellman told CNBC. “We need implementation yesterday, not 3 years from now.”

RID will only be tracking position of aircraft and pilot, not the video feed. LE will have to request pilot ID from the USS.

I personally hope the drone delivery system takes another fifty years to get here so I don’t have to see it. I am not impressed in the least.

I personally hope the drone delivery system takes another fifty years to get here so I don’t have to see it. I am not impressed in the least.
Retail “drone delivery“ is pure fantasy. It is nothing more than a publicity stunt to get free advertising on local news stations. We might as well be discussing delivering Amazon with Star Trek transporters. It is very telling that actual consumer drone users are still taking this seriously. Grow up people

It's so funny to see how corporate/governmental tactics generally take the same form across a wide array of issues. We've seen marginalization, mocking, gaslighting, condescension, and outright hostility and personal attacks from the resident corporatist tweedle dee and tweedle dum. If you dare oppose Amazon you'll be essentially called stupid (repeated assertions of "you just don't/refuse to understand). There will be constant implicit insinuations and explicit declarations that you are a nutball conspiracy theorist (making it a point to ask you "who are 'they'" when it's clear the speaker is talking about government and its entities, or who does "their" refer to.) FB commenters are conspiracy nuts by definition somehow, even though it's real people using real names and not hiding behind a wall of anonymity sharing their dissatisfaction. Attempts to silence ("just stop," baseless character attacks, questioning of intellectual integrity). Future legal challenges? Ehh, come on don't bother, no chance of winning, it's a "pipe dream." Just lay down and take it, stop all this individualistic thinking. You'll be told that what's plain in front of your eyes just ain't so. You must be a little schizo to believe your eyes and ears, here's a nice ration of talking points for you, should make you alllll better: "safely (make sure to repeat that word many times) integrate into the NAS, relatively easy way to comply..." When people point out that giving up all privacy rights is not exactly "relatively easy," ahh that's when the real insinuations of sinister intent come in: Why you must be a law breaker. Why does it bother you so much that Big Brother knows your every move, huh? It's for your own good pawn. No good reason to be against giving up all privacy rights unless you have (let's all say it together) something to hide. Of course, the fact that that's an exact reversal of how this really works means nothing to tweedle dee and tweedle dum. The onus is not on the citizen to justify his need for privacy, the onus is on the government to justify its need to track the citizen. But that's rational thinking, and we can't have that! Amazon has packages to deliver.
Awesome rebutal. Hitting the nail with every strike of the hammer. Thumbswayup

I don't get what you're arguing. That we in a free society should turn over our skies and flight data to foreign interests, while we have no access to Chinese skies or the same drone flight data in China? How is that responsible, let alone fair? In the long history of the world, totalitarian societies have taken advantage of open democracies to destroy same. It's what totalitarian societies, and authoritarians, do.

Turn over our skies to foreign interest? I've been adamant that I don't want DJI deciding where and when I can fly me drone. The only entity that should have anything to say on the issue is the FAA. And yet I get opposition from those that think DJI no fly restrictions are just fine.That said, given all the restrictions that exist already over sensitive areas and the existence of Chinese network of satellite surveillance I seriously doubt your statement that our national security is compromised by civilian use of DJI drones. If that were I think the goverment wouldn't just regulate traffic they would stop the traffic.

As for becoming a totalitarian government, these regulations are a step toward totalitarianism. Yes, our freedoms are sometimes used against us but you have to be VERY careful about giving up freedom for security. The real danger is ending up with neither.

Reactions: badaxed
I am only up to page 52 of this thread, but hadn't seen any responses to this at that point, and wanted to respond.

Those “lanes” don't seem practical. In the case of delivery drones, even if they are parachuting packages downward, something will need to pass through the lower lanes where there could be traffic. Same for manned aircraft. First thing that comes to mind is our local Flight for Life helicopter.

Just my uneducated $.02 worth...

delivery drones would be going up at only set locations (which could be designated as NFZ’s). The delivery locations would also be very constrained, even if they are not the same all the time. so the likelihood of recreational drone interference would be minimal. in their designated zone, the commercial drones could therefore go full throttle.

agree the higher zone for manned vehicles may require a bit wider NFZ around airports, but the number of locations for those to get into and out of their zone would be much less than commercial drones.

RID will only be tracking position of aircraft and pilot, not the video feed. LE will have to request pilot ID from the USS.

We’re living in a world where every week, it seems, we read about some smart phone app or line of code that’s spying on users. What makes aircraft systems any less vulnerable to spying? It’s just not unlawful spying we have to worry about. People imagined they were gaining information from google and Facebook, when, of course, these corporations were gaining information, and vast wealth, from users. Concerns about data gathering and meta-data usage are not only reasonable these days, but absolutely necessary.

Last edited:
We’re living in a world where every week, it seems, we read about some smart phone app or line of code that’s spying on users. What makes aircraft systems any less vulnerable to spying? It’s just not unlawful spying we have to worry about. People imagined they were gaining information from google and Facebook, when, of course, these corporations were gaining information, and vast wealth, from users.

It does seem like such apps come out often, and I have to admit I am looking forward to the upcoming release of the DJI Wifi Aware app in 2020, that way I’ll know when she is approaching nearby! ;)

Really, since it was made to receive remote ID data that our DJI drones are already transmitting, there isn’t much left to squabble over as far as DJI drone flying privacy goes.

Reactions: franklinskite
The whole Colorado/Nebraska "drone swarm" business looks this "proposed" rule is going to be a sure bet for implementation.

OK guys I have removed some post to get this back on track.
Let's try and keep this civil and if you have any concerns message a staff member.
Also to any that haven't been in this thread do try and read from the start so as not to repeat already posted material . Is a long thread I know but no need in it just going in circles.
Thanks

In reference to the diagrams that were emailed out to us all (see them on page 31 of this thread), why does this proposal allow the GENERAL PUBLIC and Law Enforcement to have live access to the location of the UAV and its operator?

In reference to the diagrams that were emailed out to us all (see them on page 31 of this thread), why does this proposal allow the GENERAL PUBLIC and Law Enforcement to have live access to the location of the UAV and its operator?

Whatever the reason it will surely make people think twice before flying illegally.

It might people that even know about it. We do but what about all the people that are not on forums.
You think they going to put this stuff in box’s when they sell one.

My take is this: flying a Mavic or a Phantom, or any GPS-enabled, stablized drone with collision sensors is not exactly exactly exciting flying. Those drones, IMHO, are about photography.

Today, for less that $1000, I can buy or build an FPV CineWhoop, for example, weighing less than 250 grams, and have beautiful and exciting 4K video without even having to FAA -register, let alone be tracked. Cinematic mini and micro-drones are going to be hitting their 4K stride soon. I predict a shift away from our current behemoth Mavic and Phantom 747 and news-helicopter killers. And DJI, with its new FPV system, looks like it's kind of moving in that direction too.

I'm not particularly worried about remote ID, or registration affecting my flying (other than my disgust with governmental intrusion). If and when it happens,
I'll just change what I fly.

Last edited:
My take is this: flying a Mavic or a Phantom, or any GPS-enabled, stablized drone with collision sensors is not exactly exactly exciting flying. Those drones, IMHO, are about photography.

Today, for less that $1000, I can buy or build an FPV CineWhoop, for example, weighing less than 250 grams, and have beautiful and exciting 4K video without even having to FAA -register, let alone be tracked. Cinematic mini and micro-drones are going to be hitting their 4K stride soon. I predict a shift away from our current behemoth Mavic and Phantom 747 and news-helicopter killers. And DJI, with its new FPV system, looks like it's kind of moving in that direction too.

I'm not particularly worried about remote ID, or registration affecting my flying (other than my disgust with governmental intrusion). I'll just change what I fly.

I think it's very likely that the mass-market recreational UAVs of the future will be in the smaller exempt category. And I'm sure that's why DJI is focusing on continued miniaturization in that segment.

I think it's very likely that the mass-market recreational UAVs of the future will be in the smaller exempt category. And I'm sure that's why DJI is focusing on continued miniaturization in that segment.
I agree. It will thin the herd, however. Flying these little drones is HARD. In fact, it's as hard as flying RC airplanes USED to be, back in the old days, when the skies were safe from rogue RC pilots. Not everyone will be attracted to an RC flying device that is likely to crash routinely. That may be a good thing, as that kind of drone is likely to attract only people serious and committed enough to ascend that very steep learning curve.

I agree. It will thin the herd, however. Flying these little drones is HARD. In fact, it's as hard as flying RC airplanes USED to be, back in the old days, when the skies were safe from rogue RC pilots. Not everyone will be attracted to an RC flying device that is likely to crash routinely. That may be a good thing, as that kind of drone is likely to attract only people serious and committed enough to ascend that very steep learning curve.

Maybe, but the Mini demonstrates that a lightweight UAV can be easy to fly, even if it doesn't have the range or the wind stability of the larger ones. But they are fine as high-tech selfie sticks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078