DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA fines drone photography company $200,000

God that makes me boil. It's wrong. It's unsafe. It could kill children. But wait, if you pay us $200k, and get a permit, everything is OK. Don't steal. Government hates competition.

Reactions: xUNx DeathDrone
This ship has long since sailed, but this is why I hate the term "drones". They are not. In looking at the website, it looks like this company flies no multirotor equipment but because people in our hobby think it's cool to call our toys "drones" I guess were lumped in with all RC aircraft. We get what we deserve.

Creech AFB is just north of Las Vegas. It is where all of the US military drones are based in where training occurs. You can see them flying around all the time. Come to Vegas, I'll take you out and show you what a real drone looks like.

Reactions: Retoxx
It seems pretty unfair the period the fine refers to the rules were not even finalised.
Presumably they were supposed to just stop operations for the unspecified period when they might or might not have been legal.
No doubt just paying the outrageous fine was cheaper than an extended legal argument which they could never be allowed to win.

Reactions: Kilrah
This ship has long since sailed, but this is why I hate the term "drones". They are not. In looking at the website, it looks like this company flies no multirotor equipment but because people in our hobby think it's cool to call our toys "drones" I guess were lumped in with all RC aircraft. We get what we deserve.

Creech AFB is just north of Las Vegas. It is where all of the US military drones are based in where training occurs. You can see them flying around all the time. Come to Vegas, I'll take you out and show you what a real drone looks like.
Dude, I live close to Beal AFB, home of the Global Hawk, where world wide missions are flown.

060626-F-9999K-003.JPG
Dude, I live close to Beal AFB, home of the Global Hawk, where world wide missions are flown.
Dude.......

Creech Air Force Base is a United States Air Force(USAF) command and control facility in Clark County, Nevada used "to engage in daily Overseas Contingency Operations[7] …of remotely piloted aircraft systems which fly missions across the globe."[8] In addition to an airport, the military installation has the Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Battlelab,[9]associated aerial warfare ground equipment, and unmanned aerial vehicles of the type used in Afghanistanand Iraq. Creech is the aerial training site for the USAF Thunderbirds and "is one of two emergency divert airfields" for the Nevada Test and Training Range.[8]

In addition to the airfield, the base includes the "UAV-Logistic and Training Facility",[10] the Joint Unmanned Aerial Systems Center of Excellence, Silver Flag Alpha Regional Training Center, and other military units/facilities. The base in named in honor of retired US Air Force General Wilbur L. Creech, the former commanding officer of Tactical Air Command (TAC), the predecessor command of the current Air Combat Command (ACC).

Last edited:
Dude.......

Creech Air Force Base is a United States Air Force(USAF) command and control facility in Clark County, Nevada used "to engage in daily Overseas Contingency Operations[7] …of remotely piloted aircraft systems which fly missions across the globe."[8] In addition to an airport, the military installation has the Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Battlelab,[9]associated aerial warfare ground equipment, and unmanned aerial vehicles of the type used in Afghanistanand Iraq. Creech is the aerial training site for the USAF Thunderbirds and "is one of two emergency divert airfields" for the Nevada Test and Training Range.[8]

In addition to the airfield, the base includes the "UAV-Logistic and Training Facility",[10] the Joint Unmanned Aerial Systems Center of Excellence, Silver Flag Alpha Regional Training Center, and other military units/facilities. The base in named in honor of retired US Air Force General Wilbur L. Creech, the former commanding officer of Tactical Air Command (TAC), the predecessor command of the current Air Combat Command (ACC).
Yes Yes, I can use Wikipedia, I know it's the training center, but missions are run out of Beale.

Beale Air Force Base (AFB) (IATA: BAB, ICAO: KBAB, FAA LID: BAB) is a United States Air Force base located approximately 8 miles (13 km) east of Marysville, California.
The host unit at Beale is the 9th Reconnaissance Wing (9 RW) assigned to the Air Combat Command and part of Twelfth Air Force. The 9 RW collects intelligence essential for Presidential and Congressional decisions critical to the national defense. To accomplish this mission, the wing is equipped with the nation's fleet of U-2 Dragon Lady, RQ-4 Global Hawk unmanned aircraft, and the MC-12 Liberty reconnaissance aircraft and associated support equipment. The wing also maintains a high state of readiness in its combat support and combat service support forces for potential deployment in response to theater contingencies.

Reactions: Cjgeno
God that makes me boil. It's wrong. It's unsafe. It could kill children. But wait, if you pay us $200k, and get a permit, everything is OK. Don't steal. Government hates competition.

Where did you see the children in danger?

I think $200K is an acceptable fine. With hefty penalties for additional violations. I think that's setting a pretty good example.

faa-logo_original.png

Press Release
For Immediate Release

Date: January 17, 2017

Contact: Laura Brown ([email protected]) / Les Dorr ([email protected])

Phone: 202-359-3680 or 202-267-3461

FAA and Skypan International, Inc., Reach Agreement on Unmanned Aircraft Enforcement Cases

WASHINGTON – The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Aviation Administration today announced a comprehensive settlement agreement with SkyPan International, Inc., of Chicago. The agreement resolves enforcement cases that alleged the company operated unmanned aircraft (UAS) in congested airspace over New York City and Chicago, and violated airspace regulations and aircraft operating rules.

Under the terms of the agreement, SkyPan will pay a $200,000 civil penalty. The company also agrees to pay an additional $150,000 if it violates Federal Aviation Regulations in the next year, and $150,000 more if it fails to comply with the terms of the settlement agreement.

SkyPan also agrees to work with the FAA to release three public service announcements in the next 12 months to support the FAA’s public outreach campaigns that encourage drone operators to learn and comply with UAS regulations.

The agreement settles enforcement cases involving a $1.9 million civil penalty that the FAA proposed against SkyPan International, Inc. of Chicago in October 2015. It is the largest civil penalty the agency has proposed against a UAS operator.

No sympathy for these companies intentionally violating NAS. I also agree with the mandate for public service announcements for violators. They should do the same thing for individuals and make them post on YouTube. Its a good venue for education.

060626-F-9999K-003.JPG

Dude.......

As a former Airman with a top secret clearance, you have no clue what you're talking about other than what you've read on wiki.

Sent from my SM-N910V using MavicPilots mobile app

As a former Airman with a top secret clearance, you have no clue what you're talking about other than what you've read on wiki.

Sent from my SM-N910V using MavicPilots mobile app

Like I said, come to Vegas and I will arrange a civilian tour for you with a friend of mine, Lt Col currently stationed at Nellis proper. The UAV activity and technology going on there is awe inspiring.

Having spent 20 years in the military, some of it in Pershing Missile units, and holding TS Cryptic Clearance I can tell you that there is a huge mission difference between a training facility and a mission ready combat unit. Training units by their very definition normally have cutting edge logistical support, equipment, and facilities. This is where combat personal go to get trained up on the latest doctrine and hardware, and is part of the Air Combat Command, like TRADOC for the Army. And that is the mission at Nellis, training. Here is their Mission Statement in part:

"Nellis is a major focal point for advanced combat aviation training. Its mission is accomplished through an array of aircraft, including fighters, bombers, refuelers, and aircraft used for transport, close-air-support, command-and-control and combat search-and-rescue.

Once trained up to standards personal return to their combat units to implement what they have learned in the field, so yes, Nellis will have a large number of all types of aircraft buzzing around all the time in training exercises. But I doubt very much that 'Civilian' tours will include any 'Awe-Inspiring' tech (unless you have trouble programming your VCR) as most all of that is classified in one way or another. From experience I can tell you that anything of intelligence value will not be included. Heck, when we had military personnel on our CAS site who were not cleared 'need to know', or part of the unit everything was off-limits even from them.

Having spent 20 years in the military, some of it in Pershing Missile units, and holding TS Cryptic Clearance I can tell you that there is a huge mission difference between a training facility and a mission ready combat unit. Training units by their very definition normally have cutting edge logistical support, equipment, and facilities. This is where combat personal go to get trained up on the latest doctrine and hardware, and is part of the Air Combat Command, like TRADOC for the Army. And that is the mission at Nellis, training. Here is their Mission Statement in part:

"Nellis is a major focal point for advanced combat aviation training. Its mission is accomplished through an array of aircraft, including fighters, bombers, refuelers, and aircraft used for transport, close-air-support, command-and-control and combat search-and-rescue.

Once trained up to standards personal return to their combat units to implement what they have learned in the field, so yes, Nellis will have a large number of all types of aircraft buzzing around all the time in training exercises. But I doubt very much that 'Civilian' tours will include any 'Awe-Inspiring' tech (unless you have trouble programming your VCR) as most all of that is classified in one way or another. From experience I can tell you that anything of intelligence value will not be included. Heck, when we had military personnel on our CAS site who were not cleared 'need to know', or part of the unit everything was off-limits even from them.
Wow, I'm at a loss to understand your need to review your resume and imply that I said things that I did not. I have no idea what you're trying to communicate and quite frankly, I couldn't care less. Have a nice day.

When you make statements like this "Creech AFB <> is where all of the US military drones are based, which is just not true, and any ex-Air force or military person would know, you have to expect some blow back. If that upsets you then I'm sorry, but blanket statements are always subject to debate.

Why use the term in your "handle" if you hate it?

Just sayin'.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Reactions: ___
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78