DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA Registration NOT upheld by Appeals Court

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only just heard about this on the news. My first reaction is that I am quite pleased and hope this means more mainstream acceptance and less sinister views and restrictions. Guess we'll have to wait and see. I'm happy to forgo the $5 while removing any government tracking serial number from my devices

Reactions: Blades
Don't get too excited. The DC Court overturned with expectations that draw clearer lines between hobby and commercial craft. It is pretty clear they want more detailed rules and procedures for flying in different zones. Not to mention DJI is a supporter of the FAA registrations.

The actual registration in and of itself was of no real concern to me BUT what I vehemently objected to was the fact that FAA, in all their self imposed mightiness, violated and bypassed a CONGRESSIONAL action signed and made law by Congress in 2012 that prohibited the FAA from reclassifying HOBBY "drones" (I hate that word) as anything else and most certainly not as "aircraft".
The FAA pushed the entire thing thru without Congressional authorization and without any public discourse, in unbelievably short time. There was never any thought given as to who who foot the bill and provide enforcement of their silly little power grab. I'm sure most local cops couldn't care less unless someone called them and reported you flying in a hazardous manner, then all bets are off and rightly so.
There was also no way to force anyone to actually put their registration number on the "drone" in the first place.
If it ever goes thru Congress in a legally prescribed manner, then I'm perfectly OK with that. It simply needs to be done in the proper way.

Reactions: MavicMo
The actual registration in and of itself was of no real concern to me BUT what I vehemently objected to was the fact that FAA, in all their self imposed mightiness, violated and bypassed a CONGRESSIONAL action signed and made law by Congress in 2012 that prohibited the FAA from reclassifying HOBBY "drones" (I hate that word) as anything else and most certainly not as "aircraft".
The FAA pushed the entire thing thru without Congressional authorization and without any public discourse, in unbelievably short time. There was never any thought given as to who who foot the bill and provide enforcement of their silly little power grab. I'm sure most local cops couldn't care less unless someone called them and reported you flying in a hazardous manner, then all bets are off and rightly so.
There was also no way to force anyone to actually put their registration number on the "drone" in the first place.
If it ever goes thru Congress in a legally prescribed manner, then I'm perfectly OK with that. It simply needs to be done in the proper way.

I hear you, but you gotta admit watching what some dumbshits have done with their crafts you gotta figure they were scared and felt they HAD to do something.

I agree 100%, but it needed to be done right, not the way the FAA did it.
I have no doubt that this will come up again and this time, I hope, in the proper manner.

Grabbing the popcorn ;)
This is a game changer in so many ways

As for DJI they will follow the dollar and do whats best for their bottom line. The consumer will dictate that especially if any competition ever decides to show up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob@max