DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA website: Fly Model Aircraft under section 336 -> register small unmanned aircraft to fly WITH an aero-modeling club???

PropSpin

Reactions
I happened to take a look at the FAA's page for registering drones. The section for registering for personal, recreational use (under section 336) explains it as: I need to register my small unmanned aircraft to fly WITH an aero-modeling club and following all requirements of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft.

What's with the "to fly with an aero-modeling club" part??? How long has the registration website had this explanatory text? How many people are registering their drones under 336 and actually flying with a club?

You can ignore that bit since it is not a requirement.
Okay, thanks. In '16 when I did my registration, I didn't get the sense that you actually had to join a club and/or fly with them, but rather just follow a club's (AMA) guidlines. I don't remember seeing that text at the portal, but it could have been there and I not paid it much mind.

I just do not like all of the fees that AMA charges. They are too expensive.

i could be wrong but my understanding of the recent reauthorisation bill in the US said that 336 had been changed and was no longer pertinant for the rules

I just do not like all of the fees that AMA charges. They are too expensive.
How many fees are you talking about? Membership is $75 (used to be low $50's for a long time ). You can always add more things but they are simple add-ons like any other organization so that you get what you need and not a lot of fluff you don't need/want.

Reactions: Krvelasco
New Adult Membership $75
New Senior Membership $65

My understanding is if I pay the normal (regular due), then AMA is broken down into their own organization, depending on where you live in the united states, and then each individual club or francise, and more dues probably will be due at the site that you choose to fly at. Each year.

I am already spending a lot of money in drones and licenses, pads, camera equipment. spare parts, etc.

My wife looks at my like I have loss my mind.

New Adult Membership $75
New Senior Membership $65

My understanding is if I pay the normal (regular due), then AMA is broken down into their own organization, depending on where you live in the united states, and then each individual club or francise, and more dues probably will be due at the site that you choose to fly at. Each year.

That's ONLY if you chose to join a local club. I'm an AMA member and only pay $75/yr. If I re-join my local club I will pay an additional $200/yr but that goes to the local club. Our is high because we lease a lot of land etc.

That's a choice and not an obligation or hidden fees etc.

Reactions: Krvelasco
You are NOT required to join the AMA to be registered as a hobby flyer. The FAA is only recommending you follow the safe flying rules established under the AMA until the FAA can think of some of their own. (Remember, it's a government entity, so it could be another 40 years before they think of something!) There is NO requirement for you to join AMA.

That why I have not join because I do not understand the club rules

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arm1