DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Failsafe RTH - Fully automatic?

56_kruiser

Reactions
I want to be sure I do not misunderstand the manual regarding failsafe RTH

The way I interpret it is that the system will determine when the battery is low enough that it must return to home, and will do so, assuming it is not turned off. This is separate from any battery warning settings set by the pilot.

Assuming that is the case, how much have you relied on this? Does it seem to protect it well, or are there lots of stories of lost craft when attempting to rely on this?

Reactions: wytnyt
theres lots of variables when dealing with the RTH,best to check out the threads here,its a good feature but from what ive read can be harmful also

I want to be sure I do not misunderstand the manual regarding failsafe RTH

The way I interpret it is that the system will determine when the battery is low enough that it must return to home, and will do so, assuming it is not turned off. This is separate from any battery warning settings set by the pilot.

Assuming that is the case, how much have you relied on this? Does it seem to protect it well, or are there lots of stories of lost craft when attempting to rely on this?

I haven't relied on it per se, but I had it kick in once when I was flying about 3 miles away and more than 500m up, it decided to RTH as it thought there won't be enough battery otherwise. I was caught by surprise, but I didn't object and let it do its thing. It returned with 40% battery left. So it seems its estimate is quite generous; but it could be that the wind helped.

I'd say, don't rely on it, rely on yourself, but if it kicks in, let it go.

I haven't relied on it per se, but I had it kick in once when I was flying about 3 miles away and more than 500m up, it decided to RTH as it thought there won't be enough battery otherwise. I was caught by surprise, but I didn't object and let it do its thing. It returned with 40% battery left. So it seems its estimate is quite generous; but it could be that the wind helped.

I'd say, don't rely on it, rely on yourself, but if it kicks in, let it go.
this brings up a question
in RTH,does the MP go around objects or only above them?

Yes, the battery level warnings are totally separate from auto RTH low battery, and not related to anything else for that matter.

With RTH forced or manual, distance = higher risk, and this is obvious when you read a lot or peoples experiences with the affect of wind on RTH . . . there are many threads here about lost Mavics, forced landings, crashes, near losses in RTH mode.

I haven't used low battery RTH in a while now, if I was upwind and flying or shooting something I was keen to get, I'd probably let it do so.
Auto RTH manually can of course be initiated at any time, I might use this occasionally.

As you learn how you like and tend to fly, you you can probably tailor where you set the first and critical battery warnings better, and how you should monitor conditions and flight data as you fly to ensure you have the best chance of getting home safely.

this brings up a question
in RTH,does the MP go around objects or only above them?

I haven't tested this, but in the RTH setting, then it can go around things too, see this online guide (which should also really have a PDF like most of these).
How to use DJI’s Return to Home (RTH) Safely

This is why the RTH height setting is important, and the sensors won't pick up fine branches or wires etc.

One thing this conflicts with, is there are many reports or RTH into the sun that sees drone behave at the perceived obstacle, by going up, up, often to the max height set !!
So how is this ?
Maybe it can't see a away around the obvious wide "obstacle" so goes up to travel over ? (Which it can't or course !)

I haven't tested this, but in the RTH setting, then it can go around things too, see this online guide (which should also really have a PDF like most of these).

The drawings are misleading, it doesn't go around.

"drone will check for obstacles during its RTH and if it detects one then the drone will ascend to avoid it"

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
How to use DJI’s Return to Home (RTH) Safely

This is why the RTH height setting is important, and the sensors won't pick up fine branches or wires etc.

One thing this conflicts with, is there are many reports or RTH into the sun that sees drone behave at the perceived obstacle, by going up, up, often to the max height set !!
So how is this ?
Maybe it can't see a away around the obvious wide "obstacle" so goes up to travel over ? (Which it can't or course !)
this pdf is the same one i read and it does make it seem that it can go around also.

The Mavic definitely cannot fly around obstacles while returning to the home point. It will only back up and then attempt to ascend over top of the obstacles.

The drawings are misleading, it doesn't go around.

"drone will check for obstacles during its RTH and if it detects one then the drone will ascend to avoid it"

Thanks can see the optical illusion in the drawings now in relation to that text, and explains why RTH into the sun sees the bird continually ascend to max level in others posts.

So many things to learn.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
The Mavic definitely cannot fly around obstacles while returning to the home point. It will only back up and then attempt to ascend over top of the obstacles.
odd,this video says the MP CAN fly around obstacles

odd,this video says the MP CAN fly around obstacles
That's a lengthy video. Where exactly did you see him say the Mavic can fly around obstacles when returning to the home point?

Reactions: WAXMAN
That's a lengthy video. Where exactly did you see him say the Mavic can fly around obstacles when returning to the home point?
brb,ill check

For obstacle avoidance to work when auto RTH on low battery to work you must turn the feature on under Battery in settings.
Also low battery RTH works well if you let and DON'T IGNORE IT by cancelling the RTH thinking you can fly longer. Thats where people have failed and made it back. The Mavic is generous in its calculations but also be prepared to intervien and go to sports mode if pushing against wind and speed is slow. Just use comming sense and monitor the telemetry.

its right around 9;10 in the video

You're right! (I should RTFM :D) There's an option for OA in TapFly:

DJI GO 4 Manual: The Pilot’s Handbook

Mavic-VN-Settings-1-1.jpg

and it's around objects. Probably same for ActiveTrack, but it doesn't say specifically.

But still, we're talking about RTH, and going up is the only avoidance maneuver in RTH.

@Dragonfly, if you are flying with strong tailwind, the low batt RTH will often get you into trouble.

Watch the motor RPM on your remote. If your speed is over 10m/s, but the RC RPM # is barely over 500 (right upper corner on the Mavic RC), that’s an indication of strong tailwind. Hit the RTH button early. Don’t wait for the low batt RTH to kick in.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fredguillot02