DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Few noob questions

RamiAgonistes

Reactions
Hey guys. Not a total noob as I've had the P3A on two separate occasions but ended up selling it. Just got my MAVIC and haven't flown it yet. Wanted some advice on the following:

1. For general flying during the daytime with moderately sunny skies what settings do you guys advise? I used to always use auto but after reading a bit it seems people seem to say that auto doesn't work too well. I was going to try the settings this guy posted in this YouTube video:
but I wanted more opinions on the topic.

2. If I had to choose one very good quality filter for this thing what would be my best bet? I don't want a while collection of them just one very good quality one that would work best for general casual videos during daytime filming.

3. Can anyone advise a relatively simple video editing tool for Windows or online editing for drone footage? Not looking for anything too crazy just something that I can use to cut and paste different parts of footage and maybe add some text or background music.

I guess that's it's for now. Many thanks in advance for any and all advice!

2.7k or 4k - 1080P is useless.

For the smoothest video your shutter speed should be twice your framerate, this is called the 180 degree shutter rule. Shooting in 4K 24fps, shutter speed should be 48 or 50. Shooting in 2.7 30fps, your shutter speed should be 60.

Keep your ISO down, I've seen noise creep in at 800 ISO.

During even the most cloudy of days you'll have problems with getting the settings spot on IF you don't have ND filter(s). I have a set I got from Amazon, I can't remember the name (they work very well). I'm always using the ND32 during the day to keep my settings in check and even then - my shutter speed is always higher than I'd like.

I would get a set (to buy just one, doesn't make much sense to me) of ND filters that you can leave on while the Mavic is starting up. I bought filters before they were making them "start-up" friendly and after every battery change I have to pull the filter off and put it back on. It's not a big deal but, it's a big deal.

I use a MAC and FCPX but isn't MovieMaker free with windows?

Attached you'll find a video I did a couple of weeks ago that spans from sunrise to mid day and even with an ND32 filter I was never really able to keep my shutter speed below like 100.

Last edited:
Reactions: RamiAgonistes
If I had to choose one very good quality filter for this thing what would be my best bet? I don't want a while collection of them just one very good quality one that would work best for general casual videos during daytime filming.
It would be a good idea to have at least an ND8 and an ND16 on hand since the amount of light outside differs from day to day. You can find a list of commonly used ND filters here.

Can anyone advise a relatively simple video editing tool for Windows or online editing for drone footage?
Windows Movie Maker might work for you. If not, you can find a list of other commonly used video editors here.

Reactions: RamiAgonistes
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan