DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2; Whites are Too Much White

Cotyoran52

Reactions
Hi friends,

I like general video quality of Mini 2. However, one thing that i don't like about Mini 2 is whites are too much white and ruins sometimes footage quality. Whites shine too much for me. What i wanted to tell is;

1.png
2.png
3.png

Any idea how to get rid of this ? Recommendations while flying or video editing stages ?
Thanks for your comments...

All this is due to the auto exposure algoritm... it usually average the exposure, so if it's a lot of dark in the motif & just very little lighter thing's the algoritm favors the darker parts & by that over expose the lighter parts. It's the opposite if very little darker areas compared to very bright, the picture will then be exposed towards the brighter parts & make the darker pitch black.

If you want to stick to auto settings, see if you have a EV setting... with that you can tweak the auto exposure. In your example pictures you would have set the EV to -0.5 perhaps, that would have made the lighter parts less bright (exposed) & the darker parts a bit darker.

All this is due to the auto exposure algoritm... it usually average the exposure, so if it's a lot of dark in the motif & just very little lighter thing's the algoritm favors the darker parts & by that over expose the lighter parts. It's the opposite if very little darker areas compared to very bright, the picture will then be exposed towards the brighter parts & make the darker pitch black.

If you want to stick to auto settings, see if you have a EV setting... with that you can tweak the auto exposure. In your example pictures you would have set the EV to -0.5 perhaps, that would have made the lighter parts less bright (exposed) & the darker parts a bit darker.
Yes, i was using auto exposure while saving them. After this, i will use these manual settings as possible. Thanks..

You might also considering ticking on the screen in manual mode. It will 'calibrate' the light setting according to the spot you clicked on. I also do this when I see a wrong exposure in manual mode.

Reactions: Cotyoran52
Yes, i was using auto exposure while saving them. After this, i will use these manual settings as possible. Thanks..
When you have small areas of white against a darker background, and the white parts are catching full sun and reflecting more light than the darker background .. like this:
DJI_0102aa-L.jpg

Auto exposure will expose for the average of the scene which leaves the small white areas coming out overexposed.
To prevent the white areas from blowing out, there are two things you can do.

Stay with auto exposure but adjust your exposure compensation to underexpose 0.7 stops below what the camera's meter thinks is the correct exposure.
Use auto exposure bracketing (AEB) which will give you three shots at slightly different exposure levels.
This gives you a couple of chances to get the best exposure in tricky situations.

How to set exposure compensation to -0.7 stops and AEB
i-Mb6FkDb-M.jpg

When you have small areas of white against a darker background, and the white parts are catching full sun and reflecting more light than the darker background .. like this:
DJI_0102aa-L.jpg

Auto exposure will expose for the average of the scene which leaves the small white areas coming out overexposed.
To prevent the white areas from blowing out, there are two things you can do.

Stay with auto exposure but adjust your exposure compensation to underexpose 0.7 stops below what the camera's meter thinks is the correct exposure.
Use auto exposure bracketing (AEB) which will give you three shots at slightly different exposure levels.
This gives you a couple of chances to get the best exposure in tricky situations.

How to set exposure compensation to -0.7 stops and AEB
i-Mb6FkDb-M.jpg
Thank you ! This is very well explanation. Eventhough I can't use AEB for video but in manual settings i can find best for my footages i think. Up to now i have used auto settings...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leroyman