DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New To Drones From South Florida

Sean Kolb

Reactions
Hello,
I am new to drones, I just got 2 mini pro 4's. I live in South Florida.
I would like to meet up with people to fly and learn more about my drone.
I already have some video content I want to edit, add sound, and post.
any recommendations for APPs and websites would be most appreciated.
I also purchased the googles, however they are more complicated than expected.
Regards,
Sean Kolb

Welcome to the Forum From Bakersfield! the mini 4 is a great drone. Thare is a Member Map in the members tab You may find someone close there. I use Davinchi Resolve the rare times I do make a video It has a learning curve BUT there is a lot of tips and help out there for it. NOW on too my favorite subject Googles. What problems or questions do you have about them Myself and the other members here should be able to get you going!

Thanks for the reply.
Davinchi Resolve? does it intergrate sound as well? I will check it out.
Have you heard of Epidemic Sound? I saw it on Youtube.
do you post content? anything I can view? what do you fly?

Ok The Googles. :)
I took them out so far once, and what an experience, already addicted
completely different from the controller / line of sight. AWESOME!
However, I can see it will take practice, guys online make it look easy.
I guess they don't post all of the crashes. :)

One thing so far, the sensors on the drone don't seem to work from side to side/ up, front or behind.
The bottom only. the bottom sensor pulls up whether I put the sensors on or off. bypass or brake.
I want to learn how to catch the drone when landing but the sensor aways pulls away.
I launched from a balcony and I had trouble getting over the rail.
also can you launch from your hand as well?

any tips would be most appreciated.
Regards,

• Wow
Reactions: LoudThunder
Davinchi Resolve? does it intergrate sound as well? I will check it out.
Have you heard of Epidemic Sound? I saw it on Youtube.
do you post content? anything I can view? what do you fly?
I started using Davinchi because I have a friend that works at a production company here that uses it daily I thought I could get help from her if needed But its really not hard if you watch some tutorials. I do not post content I don't think any of my videos are that interesting anyway lol I wish I had the "eye" for it like some of the members here their stuff is enjoyable to watch mine is kinda like grandma's slideshow. To help support my hobby of FPV drones I do security work for an oil company here with an Air2S besides My trusty Snoopy (the Air2S) I have a hanger full of drones three Mavic 1's one of them is a platinum. TOO MANY tiny whoops, Some homemade some ready to fly models, an analog gepRC cinelog and a digital Cinelog 30 a couple of freestyle drones 1 homemade and one is a Diatone Roma.
For the Googles It will take LOTS of practice before you are "used to them" At first I loved it too but I found that I had to "Force" myself to use the googles simply because how I lost awareness of stuff around me. Practice cures this and sooner than you think you will find it more natural to have your goggles on when flying then say looking at it and flying.
Also if you want to learn FPV such as fast and furious racing style FPV Do yourself a favor and don't bring a lamborgini to the Dirt track derby ( if you know what I mean ) If and when you get to that stage Leave the DJI at home. If you just want to fly around and look at stuff like I do during security checks than DJI is your Best option by far. BUT if you want to Hot Rod and zip around the sky You WILL CRASH and often - DJI drones are not very wallet friendly when you hit a pole at 20MPH
One more thing DON'T fly FPV alone! Not only can you get into trouble BUT At first You will lose your drone no matter where you think you saw it go in the goggles!
One thing so far, the sensors on the drone don't seem to work from side to side/ up, front or behind.
The bottom only. the bottom sensor pulls up whether I put the sensors on or off. bypass or brake.
I want to learn how to catch the drone when landing but the sensor aways pulls away.
I launched from a balcony and I had trouble getting over the rail.
also can you launch from your hand as well?
What "Mode is your drone in I would say to read about and check your settings first I do not own or have I even seen a live mini 4 lol There are members here that are better prepared to help you with Mini 4 problems.
I have a small concern about the over the rail thing are you sure No one is below you when you attempt this?
If you put your drone into Sport mode you should be able to catch it BUT you will have to ask the Mini 4 Guys for tips for doing it. I catch and takeoff my small drones by hand all the time but they don't have sensors.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Hello from the Crossroads of America Sean Kolb.

Nice to meet you Sean. 🤝

If you haven't done it, take the TRUST test and keep a copy with you when you fly.

It's a free no fail test that's easy to take that covers the basics of flying a drone.

Good luck and welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Welcome to the forum! :)

Thanks I have already taken the trust test and I registered my mini pro 4 with the FAA just because it was confusing and I think if i use the better battery or put any accessories on my drone it will then be over 249G. is there anything else you would recommended to get started? I want to relax when I am flying and don't want any trouble or problems.

I started using Davinchi because I have a friend that works at a production company here that uses it daily I thought I could get help from her if needed But its really not hard if you watch some tutorials. I do not post content I don't think any of my videos are that interesting anyway lol I wish I had the "eye" for it like some of the members here their stuff is enjoyable to watch mine is kinda like grandma's slideshow. To help support my hobby of FPV drones I do security work for an oil company here with an Air2S besides My trusty Snoopy (the Air2S) I have a hanger full of drones three Mavic 1's one of them is a platinum. TOO MANY tiny whoops, Some homemade some ready to fly models, an analog gepRC cinelog and a digital Cinelog 30 a couple of freestyle drones 1 homemade and one is a Diatone Roma.
For the Googles It will take LOTS of practice before you are "used to them" At first I loved it too but I found that I had to "Force" myself to use the googles simply because how I lost awareness of stuff around me. Practice cures this and sooner than you think you will find it more natural to have your goggles on when flying then say looking at it and flying.
Also if you want to learn FPV such as fast and furious racing style FPV Do yourself a favor and don't bring a lamborgini to the Dirt track derby ( if you know what I mean ) If and when you get to that stage Leave the DJI at home. If you just want to fly around and look at stuff like I do during security checks than DJI is your Best option by far. BUT if you want to Hot Rod and zip around the sky You WILL CRASH and often - DJI drones are not very wallet friendly when you hit a pole at 20MPH
One more thing DON'T fly FPV alone! Not only can you get into trouble BUT At first You will lose your drone no matter where you think you saw it go in the goggles!

What "Mode is your drone in I would say to read about and check your settings first I do not own or have I even seen a live mini 4 lol There are members here that are better prepared to help you with Mini 4 problems.
I have a small concern about the over the rail thing are you sure No one is below you when you attempt this?
If you put your drone into Sport mode you should be able to catch it BUT you will have to ask the Mini 4 Guys for tips for doing it. I catch and takeoff my small drones by hand all the time but they don't have sensors.
Wow, that's pretty cool all the drones you have and use them to make money. Any cool security videos.
I would love to make my own drone that would be really cool. I saw online a guy made one that goes 250MPH. Insane.
your profile pic, is that your plane? Nice!
FPV flying do you really have someone with you every time? my girlfriend has horrible vision anyway. lol
Is there a place where people can post their videos on the forum? I could post the video of the hotel. no one was below the rail. the concern was the drone would sense the rail and go up and hit the roof. I will keep playing with the settings, I am sure I am doing something wrong.
I would like to learn to takeoff and land in my hand, not because its cool well it is :) but really because its sometimes the best alternative, rocky, sandy or grassy.

I am new to drones, I just got 2 mini pro 4's.

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. We have a Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar. Click on "Members" and then Click on "Member's Map…" Check it out and you might find some new flying friends.

Whoa, it's not many new member's that buy two drones to start off with… I hope it's not because yu expect to crah them and need a spare… L o L . . .

Now, rmembr, the more complicated a thing is the slower you need to approach it… I would suggest you set the goggles aside and just learnt o fly your drones by eye-sight. And when I write eye-sight, I mean you actually looking at the drones, not flying using the video feed (FPV). Otherwise, you probably need that spare drone…

However, as a New Drone Pilot, there are a couple of Legal Things you may need to do…

If you have not already done so, you will need to get your TRUST Certificate. You can get that at the Pilot Institute Web Site (FREE…). Your Drones weighs less than 250-grams (0.55 pounds), and while you are flying under The Exception for Recreational Flyers, you are not required to register your Drones.

Link to the TRUST Certificate at the Pilot Institute Web Site (FREE…)

FAA TRUST Online Portal for Recreational Drone Operators - Pilot Institute
Get your FAA TRUST Certificate of Completion to legally fly drones for recreational reasons in the United States.
trust.pilotinstitute.com trust.pilotinstitute.com

Link to the FAADroneZone (Optional Registration for Drones under 250-Grams…)

If you are considering acquiring your Part 107 License, here is a link to get you going…

Since you live in Florida, there are specific laws and rules for you to follow, please check the link below for all the Rules and Laws that are in effect in your neck of the woods and it also links you to some of the Best Places to Fly in your area… Also, if you travel on vacation, visit friends, and relatives in other parts of the country, check back here so you do not run afoul of the law.

Even if you have flown Drones before, here is some Good Old Fashion Advice…

You paid a lot of money for that Drone, put your phone number on it. If your drone gets lost or stuck in a tree and it finally comes down when you are not around, give the finders an opportunity to contact you so it can be returned.

Now, for the Fun Part, But do not let the excitement of the moment get the best of you. When you are going out to fly, do it slowly and deliberately. Get used to a set procedure and even practice it.

There are so many things I could write but these are the highlights that I feel need mentioning.

Plug in your phone/tablet into your controller; turn on the Controller and DJI Fly App (if it does not start on its own…). On the Drone, open the front legs, then open the back legs, then remove the Gimbal Cover.

The Gimbal is the most delicate item on the Drone and banging or bumping can damage it. I also fastened a short "Remove Before Flight" ribbon to the cover so it's more noticeable and I do not forget to remove it…

Turn on the drone and watch it come to "life." Watching the Gimbal go through its self-check is almost like watching a puppy or kitten opening its eyes for the first time…

Place the drone down (preferably on a Landing Pad) while it finishes its self-test (collecting satellites, etc…).

Check your battery status (Phone, Drone, and Controller), check the Signal Strength, by now the Controller should have reported it updated the Home Point.

Lift off, 6- feet (2-meters) or so, hover a bit, check the controls (move the drone a bit forward, back, left, right, yaw left and right). By now, your Controller will probably report again, Home point Updated.

If you go out in a rush and race thru your start up and take off before the drone has finished it prep, it may update its Home Point over that pond or that old tree you are flying over and in your excitement, you'll fly the drone long past it Low Battery point and when it engages Return to Home and lands in the pond or in a tree; it will be all on you…

Now go have fun, learn to fly the drone by sight before you try to fly it out a distance depending on the video feed, FPV.

I would also advise you to use YouTube and watch a lot of the Videos on flying and setting up the Drone. When it is too dark, too cold, or too wet, you can "fly it vicariously" through YouTube. Also watch some of the Blooper Drone Videos and learn how not to fly your "New Baby."

Below is the link to all of the downloads offered by DJI for the Mini 4 Pro, including the User Manual.

After you read the Manual, read it again, you will be surprised what you missed the first time and you will be better prepared for that first "scary moment…"

Fly On and Fly Safe…

I saw online a guy made one that goes 250MPH. Insane.
I did not chase down a video on any 250 MPH drone, but in the USA, the FAA restricts drones to a maximum of 100 MPH. So, if the FAA catches this guy or he hurts someone or worse, or damages property, then I'm and sure we will all hear about him.. Not so Cool… Insane is right!

I did not chase down a video on any 250 MPH drone, but in the USA, the FAA restricts drones to a maximum of 100 MPH. So, if the FAA catches this guy or he hurts someone or worse, or damages property, then I'm and sure we will all hear about him.. Not so Cool… Insane is right!
Not sure where he was filming. it may be France.
It is Luke Maximo Bell. " How I built the fastest Drone on Earth"
247MPH

• Wow
Wow, that's pretty cool all the drones you have and use them to make money. Any cool security videos.
Not really our biggest crime are the homeless that cut the fences and move into an an old tank on the property-They usually see the drone or hear it and wave and start packing. and the money isn't really "good" but it buys me a battery or two or a frame.
I would love to make my own drone that would be really cool. I saw online a guy made one that goes 250MPH. Insane.
your profile pic, is that your plane? Nice
If you want to build your own I highly encourage you too learn. Its great and frustrating and great!- To Start Go to YouTube and find all the videos from Joshua Bardwell Watch and learn!!
As for 250 mph Yep VERY VERY! illegal and once you start flying you will see that even speeds of 20MPH can get really hairy at times! Fast Drones are Hard to tune, and even Harder to get good controller rates to fly. Anything over about 80 or 90 is getting irresponsible IMO
The Plane is Balsa USA's Catalog picture of a Smoothie XL their pic makes a nice avatar- So why not. I have built two of them and they Are a pure joy to fly. Mine ran with a DLE 35RA. But thanks to new laws in my state its getting harder to find a field that will allow me to fly it!
FPV flying do you really have someone with you every time?
YES line of site rules Require you to always see the drone you are operating and the camera doesn't count. If you wear googles you must have a friend to help tell you what it is physically doing and what is happening around it. Also not only must you see the drone you must be able to tell what the drones orientation is So if you fly way out to where you drone is a tiny dot in the sky you are actually breaking the rules for line of site. You can try and "get away with it" (flying FPV alone) BUT ultimately you will hurt someone and lose alot of drones!
Find an FPV club in your area or make your own FPV is fun but Much more with a group!
I would like to learn to takeoff and land in my hand, not because its cool well it is :) but really because its sometimes the best alternative, rocky, sandy or grassy.
Very true!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. We have a Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar. Click on "Members" and then Click on "Member's Map…" Check it out and you might find some new flying friends.

Whoa, it's not many new member's that buy two drones to start off with… I hope it's not because yu expect to crah them and need a spare… L o L . . .

Now, rmembr, the more complicated a thing is the slower you need to approach it… I would suggest you set the goggles aside and just learnt o fly your drones by eye-sight. And when I write eye-sight, I mean you actually looking at the drones, not flying using the video feed (FPV). Otherwise, you probably need that spare drone…

However, as a New Drone Pilot, there are a couple of Legal Things you may need to do…

If you have not already done so, you will need to get your TRUST Certificate. You can get that at the Pilot Institute Web Site (FREE…). Your Drones weighs less than 250-grams (0.55 pounds), and while you are flying under The Exception for Recreational Flyers, you are not required to register your Drones.

Link to the TRUST Certificate at the Pilot Institute Web Site (FREE…)

FAA TRUST Online Portal for Recreational Drone Operators - Pilot Institute
Get your FAA TRUST Certificate of Completion to legally fly drones for recreational reasons in the United States.
trust.pilotinstitute.com trust.pilotinstitute.com

Link to the FAADroneZone (Optional Registration for Drones under 250-Grams…)

If you are considering acquiring your Part 107 License, here is a link to get you going…

Since you live in Florida, there are specific laws and rules for you to follow, please check the link below for all the Rules and Laws that are in effect in your neck of the woods and it also links you to some of the Best Places to Fly in your area… Also, if you travel on vacation, visit friends, and relatives in other parts of the country, check back here so you do not run afoul of the law.

Even if you have flown Drones before, here is some Good Old Fashion Advice…

You paid a lot of money for that Drone, put your phone number on it. If your drone gets lost or stuck in a tree and it finally comes down when you are not around, give the finders an opportunity to contact you so it can be returned.

Now, for the Fun Part, But do not let the excitement of the moment get the best of you. When you are going out to fly, do it slowly and deliberately. Get used to a set procedure and even practice it.

There are so many things I could write but these are the highlights that I feel need mentioning.

Plug in your phone/tablet into your controller; turn on the Controller and DJI Fly App (if it does not start on its own…). On the Drone, open the front legs, then open the back legs, then remove the Gimbal Cover.

The Gimbal is the most delicate item on the Drone and banging or bumping can damage it. I also fastened a short "Remove Before Flight" ribbon to the cover so it's more noticeable and I do not forget to remove it…

Turn on the drone and watch it come to "life." Watching the Gimbal go through its self-check is almost like watching a puppy or kitten opening its eyes for the first time…

Place the drone down (preferably on a Landing Pad) while it finishes its self-test (collecting satellites, etc…).

Check your battery status (Phone, Drone, and Controller), check the Signal Strength, by now the Controller should have reported it updated the Home Point.

Lift off, 6- feet (2-meters) or so, hover a bit, check the controls (move the drone a bit forward, back, left, right, yaw left and right). By now, your Controller will probably report again, Home point Updated.

If you go out in a rush and race thru your start up and take off before the drone has finished it prep, it may update its Home Point over that pond or that old tree you are flying over and in your excitement, you'll fly the drone long past it Low Battery point and when it engages Return to Home and lands in the pond or in a tree; it will be all on you…

Now go have fun, learn to fly the drone by sight before you try to fly it out a distance depending on the video feed, FPV.

I would also advise you to use YouTube and watch a lot of the Videos on flying and setting up the Drone. When it is too dark, too cold, or too wet, you can "fly it vicariously" through YouTube. Also watch some of the Blooper Drone Videos and learn how not to fly your "New Baby."

Below is the link to all of the downloads offered by DJI for the Mini 4 Pro, including the User Manual.

After you read the Manual, read it again, you will be surprised what you missed the first time and you will be better prepared for that first "scary moment…"

Fly On and Fly Safe…
Thanks for all the information it is most appreciated.
Its kind of a long story but yes I have two mini 4's
Where should I post my content. do people make a site?
Any recommendations would be most helpful.
I am watching youtube videos the best i have seen so far is "The Drone Creative"

lessons learned so far. I purchased the carbon fiber propellors to replace the original ones.
they looked great but made the drone less stable. put the originals back on.
also reprogramed C2 button to turn on / off light. flying at night the light only goes on when taking off and landing.
per your recommendation, yes I will put the googles down for now.

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

per your recommendation
I would recommend you watch most everyone's how to fly the drone videos, not making videos, not performing tricks, and not making videos. You need to learn how to fly by eye, and by feel. I remember seeing the controller of a novice flyer who had the Up, Down, Left, Right, taped onto the controller and they looked at the posts on the controller to know which stick to push…

Plenty of new flyers can fly the drone away from them, but cannot turn the drone around and fly it back because the left and right are reversed and they intend to go one way and it goes the other way.
If you are trying to make videos at this point, you are concentrating on content, not flying, and in most cases you will make a great video of crashing your drone…

And if you are flying at night, you are required to have a strobe light that is visible for 3-nautical miles (NM) and that is not some Harbor Freight, or Home Depot spot light… And flying at night is that much more difficult to fly when you are a newbie…

As I wrote, you should also watch the Blooper Drone Videos and learn how not to fly your drones.

And perhaps the most important suggestion is BREATH, take your time, do not let the excitement get to you, don’t let the adrenaline get the best of you. Before you do something, take a breath, and think about it first. Is taking off from inside the garage a good idea, is taking off from under that big old tree in the back yard a good idea, is flying under the kid's swing a good idea, and the answer is NO to all of the above…

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
devilsown