DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Florida Member

Dave MH

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Hello from Central Florida

I just joined the MavicPilots forum, I do not currently own a DJI product.
Bear with me, I’m not new to flying drones, in fact I started making my own back in 2013.
I did use some DJI products (450 & 550 frames) back than.
I’ve owned a SOLO, Yuneec Typhoon H, and currently fly an Autel EVO II 6K PRO.

So, why am I here you ask? Well I am strongly considering the purchase of an AIR 3.
Question for the masses, and don’t be too hard on me. Lol
How much aggravation and frustration is the DJI Geo Zones?
Am I going to regret that part of the Air 3.
I’ve briefly looked at DJI Fly Safe and their GEO Zone maps.
Some confusion on my part after looking.

Thanks in advance for your feedback & advice.
Dave MH

Hello from the Crossroads of America Dave MH.

Nice to meet you Dave. 🤝

I fly in class G airspace and never had to unlock anything with DJI.

In some cases, you may have to unlock the Geo zone and get approval through LAANC if you fly near airports or other restricted areas.

The AIR 3 will need to be registered with the FAA and you need to take the TRUST test and keep a copy with you when you fly.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Last edited:
Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

Every now and then the GEO fencing can be a bit aggravating. But I assure you, you will love the Air 3

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. We have a Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar. Click on "Members" and then Click on "Member's Map…" Check it out and you might find some new flying friends.

@MA2 317 has enlightened you to the requirement's to fly a drone today. And if you are still flying those Drones of "yesteryear" they probably also need to be registered and you may even need to make them Remote Identification Compliant with a separate Module…

If you are considering acquiring your Part 107 License, here is a link to get you going…

Since you live in Florida, there are specific laws and rules for you to follow, please check the link below for all the Rules and Laws that are in effect in your neck of the woods and it also links you to some of the Best Places to Fly in your area… Also, if you travel on vacation, visit friends, and relatives in other parts of the country, check back here so you do not run afoul of the law.

You will find lots of information about the Geo Zones, both good and bad... I live an extremely tightly controlled Airspace and I often have to deal with unlocking and even sending in my authorizations to DJI to prove I'm authorized to fly in a particular area… You just need to be well versed on the rules and procedures for the Geo Zones and understand sometimes you can cross the zone, but not get back…

Home Map with Warnings.jpg

My own experience is that it's like flying your drone on a leash and when you hit the "zone" you drone will not cross it. But then I always ensure I have plenty of satellites and good GPS positioning so the drone knows exactly where it is…

Below is the link to all of the downloads offered by DJI for the Air 3.

After you read all the material, read it again, you will be surprised what you missed the first time and you will be better prepared for that first "scary moment…"

Fly On and Fly Safe…

Welcome to the forum! :)

Hello from Central Florida

I just joined the MavicPilots forum, I do not currently own a DJI product.
Bear with me, I’m not new to flying drones, in fact I started making my own back in 2013.
I did use some DJI products (450 & 550 frames) back than.
I’ve owned a SOLO, Yuneec Typhoon H, and currently fly an Autel EVO II 6K PRO.

So, why am I here you ask? Well I am strongly considering the purchase of an AIR 3.
Question for the masses, and don’t be too hard on me. Lol
How much aggravation and frustration is the DJI Geo Zones?
Am I going to regret that part of the Air 3.
I’ve briefly looked at DJI Fly Safe and their GEO Zone maps.
Some confusion on my part after looking.

Dave MH
Hi Dave!

I know you have concerns with the FlySafe zones and that is something that concerns me with DJI also. We’ve been spoiled by using drones that leave the onus of knowing the airspace to the pilot instead of a nanny program.

I think the best person to get an honest evaluation of FlySafe for our area would be @Ty Pilot . I’ll take a look at the online FlySafe map for the area you live in and fly at most of the time to see if I can see anything that would possibly cause issues.

Note to others: Dave is a good and responsible UAV pilot that is fully aware of all the laws and responsibilities of owning and flying a UAV. He is a member in two of our sister forums and is just looking for information on how FlySafe can affect the aircraft when flying from one zone to another. There is a Class D airport and several private fields and marine airports in his area. He understands LAANC and airspace issues.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

Hi Dave!

I know you have concerns with the FlySafe zones and that is something that concerns me with DJI also. We’ve been spoiled by using drones that leave the onus of knowing the airspace to the pilot instead of a nanny program.

I think the best person to get an honest evaluation of FlySafe for our area would be @Ty Pilot . I’ll take a look at the online FlySafe map for the area you live in and fly at most of the time to see if I can see anything that would possibly cause issues.

Note to others: Dave is a good and responsible UAV pilot that is fully aware of all the laws and responsibilities of owning and flying a UAV. He is a member in two of our sister forums and is just looking for information on how FlySafe can affect the aircraft when flying from one zone to another. There is a Class D airport and several private fields and marine airports in his area. He understands LAANC and airspace issues.
Thanks for the kind words in your last paragraph.
Remember who I am? We've flown together.
Still in Michigan or local now?

Thanks for the kind words in your last paragraph.
Remember who I am? We've flown together.
Still in Michigan or local now?
Of course I remember you Dave. I’m assuming you are still on the lake. I’m back local for the winter so we’ll have to meet soon. Just got back so still busy settling in.

Welcome to the forum from the beautiful woods of Maine!
Soon to be vacationing in Eustis, FL and will be looking for places to fly.
This is an excellent forum for technical issues and anything else related to flying so feel free to search the forum with any questions you have!

I have yet to encounter a geo-fending issue with DJI but I live out in the boonies. Welcome from the bowels of California!Moorpark Farm.jpg

Reactions: old man mavic
Welcome from the bowels of California!
OK, I am confused, you wrote, "Welcome from the bowels of California!"…

Now, the traffic jams of California are world renowned, but you wrote "bowels" which to me means the really rural, out in the boondocks, undiscovered territories…

But in your photo, the road that runs off the photo on the left side at 9 o'clock is bumper to bumper traffic, there are over 25 vehicles all traveling on the little road…

Inquiring Minds Want to Know…

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne