DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Filters vs Color Grading

hank755

Reactions
Hi,

New user and prob a dumb question.

Is using the polar pro filters cheaper and easier instead of using a PC and using color grading and d luts ?

I don't really have time to post edit videos other than using action director on my phone.

I am just looking to make some nice looking videos for myself and friends ...nothing crazy

Any suggestions on filters?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Aaron

Totally different concept. LUTs help you balance back to natural colors (or go nutz and get all creative and stuff). ND filters limit the light coming in to the sensor so you don't overload it or have to use extreme camera settings (super-high ISO or unrealistic shutter speeds) that can't be managed in post. You've got to look at everything as a tool which has a specific use for the look or effect you're trying to go for.

Reactions: hank755
So applying a filter to the mavic lens won't really change the look of the video?

Yes, it will. Since the f-number on the Mavic lens is fixed you simulate higher f-stops with the filter. It will allow you to use slower shutter speeds which definitely change the look and lower ISO values which will lower noise and really improve the color saturation. There are a bunch (as with everything) of YouTube videos showing the changes various camera parameters will give to your image capture.

Reactions: hank755

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimwinter