DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Findings after returning Mini 2 for Air 2, Amateur Comparison.

mchulst

Reactions
Preparing for a trip to the mountains this month I purchased a Mini 2 on 12/1/20. After flying it for several days and getting some good footage I realized how much I enjoyed this drone and began looking at other DJI products. I found the Air 2 decided that the better camera, Focus Track Modes, and Collision Avoidance were well worth the extra cost. Thus, I returned my Mini 2 to Best Buy and Purchased the Air 2 Fly More Combo.

I took the Air 2with us to Ashville this Weekend, here are some thoughts.

it is an excellent drone and a pretty inclusive combo. I have no gripes about the Air 2 for what it is and am happy I purchased it. However, it is a good deal louder. Combine that with its larger size and you definitely could not be as “incognito” with this as the mini 2. The camera is not noticeably better from my amateur perspective. Not a good enough reason alone to upgrade for a dad just trying to shoot some cool footage on the weekend. Didn’t really get a chance to use the active tracking, but from what I have seen in other places this is more of a gimmick in DJI drones when compared to something like the skydio 2. Probably won’t get used much if at all. Other than to try it out, maybe show a friend, “hey look what this can do”. And then finally the collision avoidance. Seemed kind of annoying when manually flying near anything, kept it off a lot. The main time it would be useful would be during quick shots or when active tracking but without sensors on the top or sides it’s not usefull for this either, like when doing a helix or boomerang or circle it would hit anything to its side so I can’t fully trust it.

All this to say that if you are in the market to purchase a new drone or a first drone the Air 2 is a great choice. It is one of the best values on the market. But after trading a new Mini 2 for an Air 2 I would say that it is not worth it. The mini 2 is a great value as well. Especially if you are looking for a small compact drone.

Another interesting note: the ND filters included with the Air 2, ND 16, 32, and 246 are not as useful as the ones that DJI sells separatelly, ND4, ND8, etc. Just food for thought.

Lastly some images from the weekend. Shot with the Air 2.

Last edited:
Preparing for a trip to the mountains this month I purchased a Mini 2 on 12/1/20. After flying it for several days and getting some good footage I realized how much I enjoyed this drone and began looking at other DJI products. I found the Air 2 decided that the better camera, Focus Track Modes, and Collision Avoidance were well worth the extra cost. Thus, I returned my Mini 2 to Best Buy and Purchased the Air 2 Fly More Combo.

I took the Air two with us to Ashville this Weekend, here are some thoughts.

it is an excellent drone and a pretty inclusive combo. I have no gripes about the Air 2 for what it is and as happy I purchased it. However, it is a good deal louder. Combine that with its larger size and you definitely could not be as “incognito” with this as the mini 2. The camera is not noticeably better from my amateur perspective. Not a good enough reason alone to upgrade for a dad just trying to shoot some cool footage on the weekend. Didn’t really get a chance to use the active tracking, but from what I have seen in other places this is more of a gimmick in DJI drones when compared to something like the skydio 2. Probably won’t get used much if at all. Other than to try it out, maybe show a friend, “hey look what this can do”. And then finally the collision avoidance. Seemed kind of annoying when manually flying near anything kept it off a lot. The main time it would be useful would be during quick shots or when active tracking but without sensors on the top or sides it’s not usefull for this either, like when doing a helix or boomerang or circle it would hit anything to its side so I can’t fully trust it.

All this to say that if you are in the market to purchase a new drone or a first drone the Air 2 is a great choice. It is one of the best values on the market. But after trading a new Mini 2 for an air two I would say that is not worth it. The mini 2 is a great value as well. Especially if you are looking for a small compact drone.

Another interesting note: the ND filters included with the Air 2, ND 16, 32, and 246 are not as useful as the ones that DJI sells separatelly, ND4, ND8, etc. Just food for thought.

Lastly some images from the weekend. Shot with the Air 2.
Waiting for the images....
1608519338599.gif

Wow, nice castle. That looks like something from Europe. It was well worth your flight to get the photo.

Reactions: mchulst
There is very little difference in size between the 1/2" sensor in the MA2 and the 1/2.3" sensor of the Mini 2. Only real difference is that the MA2 is capable of 4K at 60fps instead only 30fps. The MA2 48MP Quad Bayer sensor distinction is more of a marketing gimmick than anything, as it is still basically a 12MP image on a fractionally larger sensor. The registration free, much quieter Mini 2 is the better value. If you want or need a much better camera than the Mini 2, get the 1” sensor on the M2P or the P4P. Much better dynamic range, and far superior in low light. Otherwise, return the "defective" MA2 to Best Buy (must be defective because it is far noisier than the much cheaper Mini 2 ;)), and repurchase the Mini 2!

Well I'm not a camera guy so the camera differences wouldn't matter to me, When I was making my decision between the two I was looking at the better stability and better in the wind, the obstacle avoidance and things like that . If the MA2 is bigger and louder that's just a bonus.. easier to keep track of in my book.
And WHY THE HECK were you flying around my house? :mad:?

Thanks for posting. Wasn’t sure what to upgrade from my mini 1. It’s been a great little drone but I believe the mini 2 is more what I was expecting. The simple upgrades certainly add up. Better than the Air2 for me.
These little guys are much easier to handle on a boat. Safer both in size and ease of landing. Quiet is also a big benefit.

I’m following this thread with interest as I’m trying to decide what to upgrade my MM. Wind resistance is important to me but they say the Mini2 does better in the wind than the MM. ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️ Quiet is good but really how much different are they?

I’m following this thread with interest as I’m trying to decide what to upgrade my MM. Wind resistance is important to me but they say the Mini2 does better in the wind than the MM. ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️ Quiet is good but really how much different are they?
The M2 and the MA2 have the same wind resistance rating by DJi. After flying both in real world conditions it seems that they are both very stable in variable winds. The MA2 does have a higher speed rating. This would help flying against the wind if needed. As far as sound the MM2 is very quiet. Above 200 feet you can’t hear it unless your cruising in sport mode. The MA2 it is very noticeable just hovering at high altitudes.

Reactions: AndreasT
The M2 and the MA2 have the same wind resistance rating by DJi. After flying both in real world conditions it seems that they are both very stable in variable winds. The MA2 does have a higher speed rating. This would help flying against the wind if needed. As far as sound the MM2 is very quiet. Above 200 feet you can’t hear it unless your cruising in sport mode. The MA2 it is very noticeable just hovering at high altitudes.
Now I have a MA2 and have not noticed that at all, but I'm new to the drone world.

Thanks for all the information. I’m sure it’s helpful to many others also. Can the little M2 really handle the wind as well as the Air2? The most significant problem I have with my MM is that when I want to fly, too often I can’t due to wind.

Reactions: Swiater and mchulst
Thanks for all the information. I’m sure it’s helpful to many others also. Can the little M2 really handle the wind as well as the Air2? The most significant problem I have with my MM is that when I want to fly, too often I can’t due to wind.
It’s no problem. I figured there would be a number of people shopping between the mini 2 and the Air 2 or possibly wanting to upgrade. I had no issues flying the mini 2 in the wind. Looking back at flight logs one day I was flying in 12 mph winds, ground level. My flights with the MA2 were ~7mph winds. I would say over all wind resistance should not be a big factor when deciding between the M2 and MA2. But sounds like it would be a big upgrade in wind resistance from the MM1.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I doubt Airzscrews claims specific to the MA2. For the MP1 with original props and the MA1, sure as those were noisy but DJI has done a lot better with prop design in the last couple years.

I doubt Airzscrews claims specific to the MA2. For the MP1 with original props and the MA1, sure as those were noisy but DJI has done a lot better with prop design in the last couple years.
There is a noticable tho marginal difference in noise between my mp1 and mp2, as for wind have flown the mp1 in well over 30mph winds,makes the onboard warnings on app etc go batshit crazy but drone itself seemed to handle it well lol,just make sure have rth set and to return when battery 50% or something in case have to head home against wind using turbo or something ;P

My buddy bought a Air 2 a few months back, but just won a Mini 2 at our company Holiday party. He had the Air 2 sold that day. He wanted the smaller size. I have both the Mini and the Mini 2.

Reactions: raymairjr
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman