DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini4Pro vs Air 2 s

Omega Man

Reactions
I am ready to upgrade from the Mini 3 drone. I've had this drone for about a year now and I've really enjoyed it. I'm considering two models. The air 2s and the mini 4 pro. I do almost exclusively video as a hobby. The things I like about the Air 2s are that it has a larger sensor which should be better in low light and also it is a larger drone which should handle winds much better. I'm not concerned about registering it. The Air 2S is currently $799 the Mini 4 Pro is $769, so no price advantage either way.
I guess my question is how much better is the Air 2S than the mini pro 4? The drone that I would really like to own is a mavic classic 3 with the 4/3 hasselbad camera. It is truly a cinematic master and almost all of my shots are going to be videoed. So which one of the two that I have listed would be closest to the performance of the mavic 3 in terms of video quality?
If I didn't purchase the air 2 S, the thing I would miss most is its larger size, both the sensor and the airframe. If I didn't purchase the mini four Pro, the thing I would miss the most is the cruise control. Also the mini four Pro has obstacle avoidance on the sides. So if I'm going to track objects that are moving, then the drone would have to be oriented 90° towards that object. That would mean that the air 2S would be unprotected, correct?
thanks in advance for any advice.

Reactions: sdcaver
The Mini 4 has newer tech then the Air 2s, so it could potentially be a better flying experience, however you do have the potential limitations of flying with a smaller drone. you've noted most of the differences, so depending on where and how you fly, the Mini 4, could be a better way to go..

Why not also consider the Air 3. It has the same camera as the Mini 4 Pro, but two of them and the second has a 3X optical telephoto lens. I certainly wouldn't buy the 2S.

I have the Mini 4 Pro and the Air 3 and they both are great. I use the Mini 4 Pro mostly when I go out on my motorcycle and want something small in my backpack.

The Air 3 has that great 3X lens and can handle winds better and also faster.

You can't go wrong with either. It all depends on your budget and your needs.

But like I said, the 2S is old tech and I would spend my money on the Mini 4 Pro or Air 3.

Last edited:
I have them both, and the advantages of each option are pretty clear. No one right choice.

I think the best choice is the Air 3.

OA is virtually meaningless. Or such a risk of failure that I wouldn't trust in any any direction myself. That said, sure, I'll take it. But OA begins with the PIC.

The only reason to buy the Air 2s really would be it's the best camera drone that supports Litchi.

I do find myself flying the Air 2s over the M4P if I'm not portaging the unit into a remote area.

They are both amazing things for the money.

Get the Air 3. Unless you really need litchi.

Last edited:
The mini 4. performs much better in low light than the air 2s. Actually the Mini 3 already performs better in low light conditions.
But you are right as an aircraft the air 2s is the most stable one.

There is a fixed focal length short telephoto camera.
Neither the Air 3 nor any other current DJI consumer drone has any optical zoom.
I've corrected my post to use proper terminology. Although lot of people do refer to it as an optical zoom, even DJI.

If you don't have any other drones than the Mini 3 at present, if I were in your shoes I would definitely go for the Air 2S or Air 3 rather than the Mini 4, because of the greater ability of the larger drones to handle wind.

Overall I prefer the smaller drones because I can carry them more easily. However there are times when it's sufficiently windy that I feel uncomfortable flying them and prefer to fly the Air 2S or Mavic 3.

Reactions: MotoSavy
I’m going to say this a a guy who a. Owns a drone services company, b. Has 3 Air 2s’s that we keep as backup mapping drones, and c. Bought a Mini 4pro to play with. If these are your two choices, you have a hard decision!
We use are Air 2s’s as mapping and inspection drones. The 1in cmos native 20mp camera is just a better sensor for what we do, which is mainly mapping and construction monitoring.
All that to say, I’ve flown both drones in 25+ mph winds, and either will handle it, I don’t recommend it for either, but they’ll both do it. If it’s windier than that, stay home.
Next, the 1/1.3in sensor on the mini 4pro, even though its quadbear, is better in low light than the Air 2s because of the software.
The Mini 4 pro also has better tracking ability with its version of active track, and I can honestly say, I’m very impressed with its obstacle avoidance, it’s the best of any DJI drone I’ve seen yet. If you’re looking for an entry level drone with a lot of good features, the Mini 4 pro is probably the way you want to go. Unless, that is, you can find a good used Mavic 3 or Mavic 3 pro.

Obstacle avoidance didn't save my Air 2S. I don't think that's a differentiator for the Mini 4 Pro, either. Tracking might be better on the Mini 4 Pro, but top speed is lower than the Air 2S, so the speed of your subject may be a consideration. As noted above, Air 2S has an SDK and can fly with third party apps. Mini 4 Pro has no current third party options. Even if a new SDK arrives for the Mini 4 Pro, you're stuck using only DJI apps if you have the RC2.

We're at an odd time with feature sets, SDKs, closed remotes and newer technology. Personally, the Air 2S wins on flexibility. But I also want onboard waypoints, the ability to complete missions on signal loss, and the repeatability of waypoint missions that can't be achieved with virtual sticks. Which is why I haven't replaced my Air 2S. Every available option now requires compromise. 🤔

Obstacle avoidance didn't save my Air 2S. I don't think that's a differentiator for the Mini 4 Pro, either. Tracking might be better on the Mini 4 Pro, but top speed is lower than the Air 2S, so the speed of your subject may be a consideration. As noted above, Air 2S has an SDK and can fly with third party apps. Mini 4 Pro has no current third party options. Even if a new SDK arrives for the Mini 4 Pro, you're stuck using only DJI apps if you have the RC2.

We're at an odd time with feature sets, SDKs, closed remotes and newer technology. Personally, the Air 2S wins on flexibility. But I also want onboard waypoints, the ability to complete missions on signal loss, and the repeatability of waypoint missions that can't be achieved with virtual sticks. Which is why I haven't replaced my Air 2S. Every available option now requires compromise. 🤔
The obstacle avoidance in the Mini 4 Pro is light years ahead of the OA on the Air 2s. It’s the best I’ve ever seen on a drone, and I’ve flown and owned or still own quite a few different types.

Neither the Air 3 nor any other current DJI consumer drone has any optical zoom

Neither the Air 3 nor any other current DJI consumer drone has any optical zoom.
My inspire has the optical zoom, 3-z

My inspire has the optical zoom, 3-z
But that's not a CURRENT, Consumer drone.
Neither is the Mavic 2 zoom, which also had a rough optical zoom.
But that's not a current model either.

Like I said, Neither the Air 3 nor any other current DJI consumer drone has any optical zoom.

Gosh, this is a tough one - I'm fortunate to have both the Air2s and the Mini Pro 4...... The Air2s is far more stable to fly than the mini pro 4, somehow it flies smoother, shoots better video, and handles the winds with ease.

On the other hand, the Mini Pro 4 flies further, boots faster, longer battery life with the 46/47 plus batteries, its quieter, less visible in the sky, therefore less confrontations, etc.....

When I fly in rural areas particularly offshore out to sea, then it's almost always the Air2s, yet when I can't get close to something like a Scottish castle, then I park up away from the crowds, and fly the drone in (VLS of course).

If I had to pick one over the other, then reluctantly it would be the Mini Pro 4 simply because of the newer tech.

I am ready to upgrade from the Mini 3 drone. I've had this drone for about a year now and I've really enjoyed it. I'm considering two models. The air 2s and the mini 4 pro. I do almost exclusively video as a hobby. The things I like about the Air 2s are that it has a larger sensor which should be better in low light and also it is a larger drone which should handle winds much better. I'm not concerned about registering it. The Air 2S is currently $799 the Mini 4 Pro is $769, so no price advantage either way.
I guess my question is how much better is the Air 2S than the mini pro 4? The drone that I would really like to own is a mavic classic 3 with the 4/3 hasselbad camera. It is truly a cinematic master and almost all of my shots are going to be videoed. So which one of the two that I have listed would be closest to the performance of the mavic 3 in terms of video quality?
If I didn't purchase the air 2 S, the thing I would miss most is its larger size, both the sensor and the airframe. If I didn't purchase the mini four Pro, the thing I would miss the most is the cruise control. Also the mini four Pro has obstacle avoidance on the sides. So if I'm going to track objects that are moving, then the drone would have to be oriented 90° towards that object. That would mean that the air 2S would be unprotected, correct?
thanks in advance for any advice.
If you already have the Air 2s, stay with it for no more improvement you'd get considering the cost.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13