DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fines issued!

FYI..

A Port Kembla man is facing up to $28,500 in fines after pleading guilty to operating a drone too close to neighbouring properties.
Court documents said Glen Arthur Bingle's neighbours reported his actions to the Civil Aviation Safety Authority seven times before they eventually took action, issuing him with fines for three breaches said to have occurred on individual days in February, March and July, 2017.

On each occasion, the neighbours filmed Bingle's drone as it hovered low and close to their properties - sometimes coming within five metres of the residents - well under the minimum 30-metre distance required under the federal legislation.
He also flew it at nighttime, against regulations that say drones should only be flown during daylight hours.

Read more: New drone rules for recreational flyers
CASA eventually sent Bingle fines in the mail in September 2017.
Court documents said Bingle returned the envelope containing the penalty notices to CASA the following month with the words "return to sender no one lives here" written on the front.
Police stationed at Port Kembla subsequently served the fines on Bingle in person.
He wrote to CASA in November asking for the fines to be withdrawn. CASA refused but agreed to extend the due date for payment of the fines.
However, Bingle called the authority in January 2018 advising he had no intention of paying the fines.
CASA launched court action against Bingle, bringing him before Wollongong Local Court on Thursday on two charges of operating a model aircraft under the allowable height and one count of flying a model aircraft within 30 metres of a person.
All three charges carry a total combined fine of $28,500, court documents said.
Throw the book (and his remote controller) at him! It’s good to see that laws will be enforced. Truly a teaching moment for our drone communities.

there is a pic getting around showing of a couple of boguns throwing a stubbie at a drone. I wonder if he is the operator.
glad he got nailed. too many people think they are above the law and make it hard for the rest of us

I agree that the cost of the fines is far excessive. However, in this guy's case, it may be needed to get his attention and hopefully cause operational change.

The guy seems like a jerk but $28,000 in fines seems a bit steep to me.
Not steep enough. The press loves stories about drones impeding upon people's privacy. It scares people and that's what lines us up, saucer eyed, in front the telly waiting to see what's coming to get us next. And that is how you sell advertising time. "There's asbestos in children's cereal...is it the brand your kids are eating? Tune in at Six and find out. But first this message from Kellogg's." The end result is people harboring a broad fear of drones based upon the type of idiot in the story that prompted this thread. By the way, I'd bet the amount of money listed as his fine that he doesn't have that kind of money laying around to pay the levy. He doesn't seem all too bright. I'm surprised most that he was able to operate a telephone to make the dumb call. If left unpunished, folks such as he will initiate more and stricter laws that will encumber those of us who abide by the rules. Does Australia have the death penalty? Just wondering...wishing.

Reactions: The Editor
How does this compare to US laws? I know you can't get close to people, but I do not recall anything about flying too low over someone's property

Not steep enough. The press loves stories about drones impeding upon people's privacy. It scares people and that's what lines us up, saucer eyed, in front the telly waiting to see what's coming to get us next. And that is how you sell advertising time. "There's asbestos in children's cereal...is it the brand your kids are eating? Tune in at Six and find out. But first this message from Kellogg's." The end result is people harboring a broad fear of drones based upon the type of idiot in the story that prompted this thread. By the way, I'd bet the amount of money listed as his fine that he doesn't have that kind of money laying around to pay the levy. He doesn't seem all too bright. I'm surprised most that he was able to operate a telephone to make the dumb call. If left unpunished, folks such as he will initiate more and stricter laws that will encumber those of us who abide by the rules. Does Australia have the death penalty? Just wondering...wishing.

wow, way to throw a fellow drone pilot under the bus.

Reactions: badgenes
wow, way to throw a fellow drone pilot under the bus.
Typical crowd behavior. Ostracizing the rule breaking or otherwise non-conforming individuals serves at least two crucial purposes: reinforcing the status of the individual as a member of the group via respect for group norms and separating the offender in a dehumanizing way from the group allowing for harsher punitive measures given the stripping away of what makes the offender similar to group members.

Perhaps that could've been worded better but you get the idea. This phenomena is on display here as well as nearly any social media community. It is unfortunately always going to be as the vast majority of people are 'wired' for this behavior. Even those who reject the norms solely because they are 'norms' are tethered to the group, in an opposite fashion of course :). Still, it is depressing to see the lack of thoughtfulness or reason applied in instances where a community member has stepped outside the bounds of acceptable behavior. It is primarily those who do so, not for the purpose of being contrarian but because they are driven by deeper purpose, who give societies innovative ideas and unique ways of viewing reality.
Group-think is unfortunately an important albeit irritating social glue without which Lord knows how much or how little society would have evolved and improved during the history of our (or similar) species. I believe we would be worse off without it but I agree entirely with the sentiment KenSteele.

Now, speaking to the guy in Australia he sounds like one of the latter group-think bound types I mentioned above. Contrarian specifically for the sake of being oppositional. In short a major butt head who deserves what he gets as much as those other group-thinkers deserve their lot although methinks neither understands what they miss in being bound in such a fashion to their need for acceptance. Not that I have disdain for what is essentially a trait that most human behavior is governed by, I am just not wired that way. Acceptance is as a cool breeze; its nice when its blowing but hardly a requirement for getting things done. Now I'm just rambling about anything but the topic of this post....bye :0

As an aside I happen to agree with many of the rules in place at present restricting drone operation. As much as some really irk me, I can understand the need for better controls given the possibility of inadvertent death and destruction that could result from a drone and aircraft collision. Like most rules and regulations though I believe they go too far in restricting some aspects of UAS operation due to hype and resulting paranoia of the 'group'. There are some necessary limits placed on our hobby but not to the extent there are at present. Giving the power of right granting to government is bad business...

Reactions: islandflyer
^you're never going to save the good name of the drone community with the rest of the world by handing out huge fines to community members who make us look bad.

How does this compare to US laws? I know you can't get close to people, but I do not recall anything about flying too low over someone's property
It's difficult to find a clear answer about that question since the FAA technically controls all airspace to the ground surface but local governments have drafted and passed their own restrictions on low altitude flight rules. Essentially, it depends where you are when you fly.

FYI..

A Port Kembla man is facing up to $28,500 in fines after pleading guilty to operating a drone too close to neighbouring properties.
Court documents said Glen Arthur Bingle's neighbours reported his actions to the Civil Aviation Safety Authority seven times before they eventually took action, issuing him with fines for three breaches said to have occurred on individual days in February, March and July, 2017.

On each occasion, the neighbours filmed Bingle's drone as it hovered low and close to their properties - sometimes coming within five metres of the residents - well under the minimum 30-metre distance required under the federal legislation.
He also flew it at nighttime, against regulations that say drones should only be flown during daylight hours.

Read more: New drone rules for recreational flyers
CASA eventually sent Bingle fines in the mail in September 2017.
Court documents said Bingle returned the envelope containing the penalty notices to CASA the following month with the words "return to sender no one lives here" written on the front.
Police stationed at Port Kembla subsequently served the fines on Bingle in person.
He wrote to CASA in November asking for the fines to be withdrawn. CASA refused but agreed to extend the due date for payment of the fines.
However, Bingle called the authority in January 2018 advising he had no intention of paying the fines.
CASA launched court action against Bingle, bringing him before Wollongong Local Court on Thursday on two charges of operating a model aircraft under the allowable height and one count of flying a model aircraft within 30 metres of a person.
All three charges carry a total combined fine of $28,500, court documents said.

I'm glad we(Americans) don't have such draconian laws. In the States the accused has the right to face his/her accuser. Not simply handed out a fine.

I'm glad we(Americans) don't have such draconian laws. In the States the accused has the right to face his/her accuser. Not simply handed out a fine.
Hopefully, you'll soon wake up from that dream. :)

I get what you mean but he kinda stepped in front of that bus all on his own. Makes us all look bad.
no need to pile on. no need to ask for bigger fines. no need for the community to send a message that we will turn on our own if you violate the master's rules. why can't the community admit the fines are too high, the complaints are unjustified, and the restrictions are not for safety reason but for gotchas to keep the recreation drone community "under control." why can't the community evolve....just like the cellphone community evolved so that just because one person driving distracted doesn't make all cellphone users look bad; the only bad person is the person who abused the cellphone. the gun community evolved, i don't look bad because i own firearms just because some idiots goes on a school shooting with guns, how does that reflect poorly on me as a law-abiding citizen? the motorcycle community has evolved. some guys speed and stunts and harass other motorist, you think they hate me on my sportbike on the other side of town while i'm driving in traffic not hurting anyone? drone folks can do the same if they wanted to. cellphone users used to have a bad name...until everybody got a cellphone. bikers used to have a bad name...until something other than a harley because popular. gun owners used to have a bad name...until we fought back.

when my fellow gun owners carry concealed and break the law, i don't ask the government to start sending them to state prison on the first offense while i go about my business carrying concealed. when i see bikers speeding on the freeway, i don't ask the government to impound their bike, arrest them for reckless, double the fines because they're making me on a motorcycle look bad. when i see people stopped at green light on the phone or talking loud on a mobile phone in the library, i don't call the police or turn that person in or wish they would pass a law prohibiting mobile phone use while driving in my state because i don't want the rest of community to hate me when i jump on my mobile phone and quietly surf the internet at the coffee shop.

do what you do and don't worry about the other guy breaking the law. it's called myob. and when the government tries to punish everyone for the unlawful actions of a few, push back instead of supporting them. if i'm on that jury, it's a big fat not guilty vote from me. i don't like what he did but i don't like the results more.

Reactions: badgenes
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boonaga