DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First day impressions with a few questions

Megalodrone

Reactions
Today was the day! First day with the Mavic 2 Pro and Smart Controller! Very very fun, and it was even easier to control than I thought it would be. I'm looking forward to this new hobby.

I do have a couple of questions that I'm hoping to resolve:
1) I can't get the Smart Controller to record files on the SD card. It recognizes that it's there. I see the option in the settings menu where it says "storage location". But next to both "SD Card" and "Internal Storage" it says "N/A". Won't let me select "SD card". Not sure why. I'd like to record primarily to the SD card and use the internal as a backup. How do I fix this?
2) When I go to look at the photos / videos, they are all out of order. It mixes up the pictures so their not chronological. I've got photos from the morning mixed with photos from the afternoon, in no particular order. I even choose to sort by "date modified". Still out of order. What am I doing wrong here?
3) How do I choose different photo modes like panorama or 360 instead of just a conventional one?

Thanks

Today was the day! First day with the Mavic 2 Pro and Smart Controller! Very very fun, and it was even easier to control than I thought it would be. I'm looking forward to this new hobby.

1) I can't get the Smart Controller to record files on the SD card. It recognizes that it's there. I see the option in the settings menu where it says "storage location". But next to both "SD Card" and "Internal Storage" it says "N/A". Won't let me select "SD card". Not sure why. I'd like to record primarily to the SD card and use the internal as a backup. How do I fix this?
2) When I go to look at the photos / videos, they are all out of order. It mixes up the pictures so their not chronological. I've got photos from the morning mixed with photos from the afternoon, in no particular order. I even choose to sort by "date modified". Still out of order. What am I doing wrong here?
3) How do I choose different photo modes like panorama or 360 instead of just a conventional one?

Thanks

I will tackle the last question first. While in Camera Mode (as opposed to video), tap the Settings Icon (those three parallel bars with sliders). Now you will see a screen that has three tabs. You want the Camera Tab - the middle one. When tapped, you will see a list of options. The Top one is the one you want (not opened at the moment so don't have its real name) but it is generally PHOTO (single or regular) and tap it. Pans are at the bottom and you might need to scroll to see them. Find the one you want and select it. Be advised, some of them take between 9 and 20 or so images - so it can take a while to complete the pan sequence. There's a little prompt showing the Percentage Complete.

Back to the first - make sure that the sd-card is a good one (not counterfeit) and has the correct speed rating. And just because it is branded by a well-known name does not mean it is REAL. Purchase from reliable sources. You can try reformatting it and there are desktop programs to test them.

I'm not sure of the date/time issue but lately a number of us have discovered that there's a bug in date stamping. Some stuff might have a 2013 YEAR and some others have found that images have a prior date or time - MAYBE based on the last time the system was powered on/off and back on. For instance, images that I copied from the Drone to the SC show the 2013 Year. But other images I took on March 20, show a March 8 date. March 8 was the last time I used the drone and SC (Smart Controller). By the way, you can copy images from the drone using the Review Icon (triangle under the Camera/video settings icon). When you are viewing an image, there's another little icon that can download and it copies the previewed image to the controller.

Oh, and most welcome to this enthralling hobby and the forum.

Thanks
Is this the small SD card that DJI ships in the drone or is it a card you added in the open SD card slot?

Is this the small SD card that DJI ships in the drone or is it a card you added in the open SD card slot?

This is a brand new card, one that I added to the open SD card slot. It is recognized by the controller, it just won't write to it. Makes me think the card is ok, but possibly something in the firmware is not. That or I just haven't toggled something correctly somewhere.

This is a brand new card, one that I added to the open SD card slot. It is recognized by the controller, it just won't write to it. Makes me think the card is ok, but possibly something in the firmware is not. That or I just haven't toggled something correctly somewhere.
Test the card in another device possibly including in the drone's slot.

You can reload the firmware. Swipe down and hit the Settings/Gear icon and scroll till you find the option.

Reactions: Megalodrone
Problems solved-- I had the SD card in the slot on the smart controller. I didn't realize that the SD card it was referring to was in the drone. Thanks for the helpful comments above. I also figured out that the panorama modes only work in P mode or T mode, not sport mode, which is why it wasn't working for me before. The chronology seems to work when the photos/videos are written to the SD card. I looked and noticed that the first several shots on the first day saved to the internal memory under a date in 2013. Interesting.

I have had the chance to fly for about 2 hours total in the past two days since I got this. This is the most fun I've had with a new hobby as long as I can remember! After my first flight, I was smiling ear to ear. I flew over a canyon by some rocky mountain bike trails that I've done for years. To see them from a different perspective was exhilerating. In early college, one of my career choices that I almost chose was to become a pilot. I went another route, but have still felt I could have enjoyed pilot had I chose that. This is different from being a pilot, but to see the earth from above is fun, and it's almost like scratching that itch I've had to fly.

I surprised how I feel comfortable handling the drone, and unless I'm taking special photos, I leave it in sport mode. It feels incredibly fast to me and I can't believe how fast it zips around and how fast it can get out of sight, though I try to maintain visual line of sight. I admit, a couple of times I see it, glance down at my screen, then look up only to see that I've lost sight of it. I've found that just tapping return to home makes it so easy that usually within seconds I spot it again, then I can cancel return to home and resume flying within VLOS.

I will have more questions, I'm sure, and I appreciate the quick input that people give in this forum. Thank you.

Snow canyon from Cove Wash small file-1553322962000.jpgCove Wash small file-1553323492000.jpg

Problems solved-- I had the SD card in the slot on the smart controller. I didn't realize that the SD card it was referring to was in the drone. Thanks for the helpful comments above. I also figured out that the panorama modes only work in P mode or T mode, not sport mode, which is why it wasn't working for me before. The chronology seems to work when the photos/videos are written to the SD card. I looked and noticed that the first several shots on the first day saved to the internal memory under a date in 2013. Interesting.

I have had the chance to fly for about 2 hours total in the past two days since I got this. This is the most fun I've had with a new hobby as long as I can remember! After my first flight, I was smiling ear to ear. I flew over a canyon by some rocky mountain bike trails that I've done for years. To see them from a different perspective was exhilerating. In early college, one of my career choices that I almost chose was to become a pilot. I went another route, but have still felt I could have enjoyed pilot had I chose that. This is different from being a pilot, but to see the earth from above is fun, and it's almost like scratching that itch I've had to fly.

I surprised how I feel comfortable handling the drone, and unless I'm taking special photos, I leave it in sport mode. It feels incredibly fast to me and I can't believe how fast it zips around and how fast it can get out of sight, though I try to maintain visual line of sight. I admit, a couple of times I see it, glance down at my screen, then look up only to see that I've lost sight of it. I've found that just tapping return to home makes it so easy that usually within seconds I spot it again, then I can cancel return to home and resume flying within VLOS.

I will have more questions, I'm sure, and I appreciate the quick input that people give in this forum. Thank you.

View attachment 67171View attachment 67176
Nice pictures. I've been to Snow Creek Canyon - nice area. Also close to Zion.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msherwood1954