DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First flight!

Bogey

Reactions
I'm not sure this is the right spot for this post, but after a week of reading forums, watching you tube videos, etc... I took my first flight today! I have been really nervous as there is a ton to learn and I am a 61 year old NON TECH person!! I went into the middle of my neighbors 2 acre field and had a GREAT first flight.

I had it in beginner mode, kept it simple, took a picture of our house/yard as well as my neighbors, landed it and couldn't wipe the smile off my face!

Thanks for all the great learning opportunities on this forum!

Bogey

I'm not sure this is the right spot for this post, but after a week of reading forums, watching you tube videos, etc... I took my first flight today! I have been really nervous as there is a ton to learn and I am a 61 year old NON TECH person!! I went into the middle of my neighbors 2 acre field and had a GREAT first flight.

I had it in beginner mode, kept it simple, took a picture of our house/yard as well as my neighbors, landed it and couldn't wipe the smile off my face!

Thanks for all the great learning opportunities on this forum!

Bogey
Way to get it done.

Reactions: Bogey
The way to go. You do better then a lot of other "pilots" with tons of experience. Rome wasn't built in one day either

First of all, thanks! But the Rome comment made me laugh because I was always kind of a HARD CHARGER (might explain the 11 surgeries I've had!) anyway I used to help my grandparents with whatever jobs I could and one of those things was to go cut their firewood and haul it to them and stack the winters worth of wood. My poor grandpa had arthritis so bad by then all that proud man could do was watch, but he would almost always chuckle at me and say "You know, Rome wasn't built in a day, but then I guess you weren't running that job".

I guess I've learned a "little" over the years. I just got back from my second flight in the neighbors 2 acre field again. I had studied up the RTH feature some more, checked my ceiling default level and practiced two of those landings - it left a 24" x 24" piece of plywood and landed back on the same. I know that is NOT a guarantee because of things that can occur, but I wanted to try it out.

I did have a problem when I first went to fly. I couldn't get my camera to work? I made sure the stock little 90 degree cord was NOT plugged in, but I had a NEW, slightly longer 90 degree cable I had just ordered (I used my phones standard 36" white cord the first time) anyway, I finally figured it had to be that new cord, so I ran (lol, I can't actually run) home and grabbed the normal phone cord again, and it worked fine??? I have no idea why the new one wouldn't work?

Anyway, another great experience, although I am a little worried about temperature - it says not to fly in temps below 32 degrees and we were right at 32. I've done some research and it seems like the common concern is cold weather sucking battery life which I certainly understand, but I'm curious if there are issues I'm not aware of?

Reactions: Oyibo VFX
First of all, thanks! But the Rome comment made me laugh because I was always kind of a HARD CHARGER (might explain the 11 surgeries I've had!) anyway I used to help my grandparents with whatever jobs I could and one of those things was to go cut their firewood and haul it to them and stack the winters worth of wood. My poor grandpa had arthritis so bad by then all that proud man could do was watch, but he would almost always chuckle at me and say "You know, Rome wasn't built in a day, but then I guess you weren't running that job".

I guess I've learned a "little" over the years. I just got back from my second flight in the neighbors 2 acre field again. I had studied up the RTH feature some more, checked my ceiling default level and practiced two of those landings - it left a 24" x 24" piece of plywood and landed back on the same. I know that is NOT a guarantee because of things that can occur, but I wanted to try it out.

I did have a problem when I first went to fly. I couldn't get my camera to work? I made sure the stock little 90 degree cord was NOT plugged in, but I had a NEW, slightly longer 90 degree cable I had just ordered (I used my phones standard 36" white cord the first time) anyway, I finally figured it had to be that new cord, so I ran (lol, I can't actually run) home and grabbed the normal phone cord again, and it worked fine??? I have no idea why the new one wouldn't work?

Anyway, another great experience, although I am a little worried about temperature - it says not to fly in temps below 32 degrees and we were right at 32. I've done some research and it seems like the common concern is cold weather sucking battery life which I certainly understand, but I'm curious if there are issues I'm not aware of?
You're doing fine. Small steps saves the day.
You didn't mention if you're using iOS or Android. If you're using the USB connection at the bottom of the RC, you MUST disconnect the cable on the site. Or else you have no video. Hope this helps. And please..... continue to enjoy your drone

Thank you!!! Yes, using an iPhone and I made sure the side cable was UN plugged. It appears I not only ordered one of those small right angle cords, I got a second one in the mail today from a different vendor, so I obviously was so busy ordering thing that I got mixed up, so maybe this new one will work?

Thanks again!

Thank you!!! Yes, using an iPhone and I made sure the side cable was UN plugged. It appears I not only ordered one of those small right angle cords, I got a second one in the mail today from a different vendor, so I obviously was so busy ordering thing that I got mixed up, so maybe this new one will work?

Thanks again!

I've read that the cable has to be a data cable as well as a charging cable. Apparently some cables are for charging only.

I didn't know two types of cables existed till I read on this forum about it. Haven't done any research myself to confirm this.

It's possible I powered up everything in the wrong sequence or something, because I went thru it all again last night with the cord that didn't work earlier, and it worked just fine with the camera working. Who knows, if there is a way to screw up, I'll find it!! :0)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joel_du05