DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First Flights!

Rackminster

Reactions
I had ordered a Mavic 2 Zoom last week, and it arrived Thursday. By Friday evening, I was FAA registered and insured through State Farm (Personal Article coverage for drone damage, $60/yr) and my agent said my Homeowner's covered any injury or damage the drone causes through my negligence. With all that done, I had Saturday morning to myself and took off for the local baseball field. Middle of the winter, completely vacant, and covered in hard-packed snow. It seemed about as good as I could find.

I spent the better part of an hour there - first in Beginner, but quickly tired of the short tether. At one point, someone in a pickup truck pulled up, saw me standing in the middle of the field in below-freezing temperatures, staring into the sky like a lunatic ... and left after a minute without getting out. I was surprised by how exciting it was to actually fly the Mavic 2 and felt really giddy afterwards. I wanted to do it again - but life called me back to the ground and I didn't get out again until the next morning.

On Sunday I brought the kids back to the field to show them how it worked, but there was too much wind and it was too cold. Before I could even get the props on, my fingers were going numb. We abandoned that nonsense for a warm lunch at a favorite restaurant.

Later in the day, after things warmed up and the wind died down, I decided to try the drone out on my own property - which I'd have to get used to eventually for some of my goals. The kids thought it was pretty cool, and I had a great time flying around my house "inspecting" it - and trying some low cruising shots of the bog out back and higher shots of the forest around me.

Overall, a great weekend and a really fun first few flights. My log tells me I flew 4 times (2 trips, 2 batteries each) and the drone traveled 52,477 feet in total. I look forward to more! I love my Mavic 2 Zoom, and think I'd easily recommend it to anyone thinking about flying a drone.

It's just amazing. Every single time. :D
Have a lot of fun and Always stay safe!

Greetings
Jürgen

Congrats on the new M2Z! On cold days I fly from the comfort of my car.

Congrats on the new M2Z! On cold days I fly from the comfort of my car.
I've read that's a no-no unless it's a "sparsely populated" area? At least for a moving vehicle, I think.

This leads me to ask - how strict is the Line of Sight rule/guideline? So far I've worked hard to have a "Line of Sight" - but it's a somewhat limiting factor and prevents "exploration" with the Drone. Can you be fined or slapped with a penalty for flying out of Line of Sight?

I fully understand there are safety concerns where you can't see what's around the drone. Objects, people, animals, or other vehicles may come into contact with it and you won't be able to react... but in a place where LOS can be reasonably safe - like a long stretch of trail, or around an island in a river where you can see both sides of the island, but not the back - is it a real problem?

Does this change when I become a Part 107 licensed pilot? Right now I'm Recreational, and it seems to clearly state LoS is absolutely required... but for Part 107, maybe not?

I've read that's a no-no unless it's a "sparsely populated" area? At least for a moving vehicle, I think....
When I fly from inside my car it is at a park and I can keep my MP in sight.
...This leads me to ask - how strict is the Line of Sight rule/guideline? So far I've worked hard to have a "Line of Sight" - but it's a somewhat limiting factor and prevents "exploration" with the Drone. Can you be fined or slapped with a penalty for flying out of Line of Sight?

I fully understand there are safety concerns where you can't see what's around the drone. Objects, people, animals, or other vehicles may come into contact with it and you won't be able to react... but in a place where LOS can be reasonably safe - like a long stretch of trail, or around an island in a river where you can see both sides of the island, but not the back - is it a real problem?...
Unless you are flying in a closed area, it is not likely anyone will be enforcing FAA guidelines. But you should keep it in VLOS because it is the right and safe thing to do. Like stopping at a stop sign; you do it because it is the right and safe thing to do and not because you might get caught if you don't.
...Does this change when I become a Part 107 licensed pilot? Right now I'm Recreational, and it seems to clearly state LoS is absolutely required... but for Part 107, maybe not?
I am not 107 but I understand you can get a waver to exceed the rules.

It boils down to safety first and reliability/recovery second. It is not safe (or less safe) to fly BVLOS, simply because you cannot see where other aircraft may be in relation to your craft, and if something were to go wrong your odds of recovering your craft are greatly reduced if you cannot see where it is.

VLOS means that you can see it with the unaided eye. I use strobes to increase this visibility to 2.5-3 miles. Go to the FAA website there is a list of rules you should follow. I recommend following them for the safety of your drone, people around, and to keep the government from making even more new laws to be complied with.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flonke