DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First Mavic Scare

portland88

Reactions
I was flying today from a boat launch near a collapsed dam and managed to get some pretty good shots. However, mid flight at an altitude of 171FT and distance of 1,647FT the DJI GO app indicated aircraft disconnected and I believe the RC flashed some additional messages. The Mavic had just exited my VLOS behind a stand of trees and bend in the river (never doing that again). Admittedly I panicked and turned the remote off to restart it (should have just hit the RTH button/restarted the DJI GO app). After restarting the DJI app reconnected to the Mavic and I was relieved to see that it was ascending to RTH altitude and I watched as it landed on its own within an inch of where I took off from just six minutes before. It all happened so quickly (but felt like a lifetime waiting for it to come into view) so I'm not sure exactly what went wrong. I'm beginning to think it was just a simple crash of the DJI app and that the RC never actually lost connection.

I brought my Mavic home and hooked it up to my PC to try and access the flight data via DJI Assistant 2.0. I have a limited understanding of this application so I wasn't able to come up with anything. Understandably I am little nervous putting this thing back in the air - despite it behaving as designed. Is there anything I should do just in case before the next flight (calibrate everything, reinstall firmware)?

Also, I entered the flight simulator on the assistant program (didn't actually use it) and now under my flight lists in the DJI app it lists flights in Shenzhen, China and flight records of 9,000FT+ distance and an altitude record of over 6,380FT. Not sure what this is about...

If the WiFi cannot reach the Mavic anymore due to obstructing objects, it will lose connection.
This is physics and can't be cured by restarting anything. It is just like entering a tunnel with your cell phone.

The Mavic itself will trigger the RTH function a few seconds after a connection loss.
It usually should come back into the RC range and automatically re-connect. You just want to make sure you set the RTH altitude correctly for your flying area and that there are no obstacles above the craft.

As above; what you learned here is that it worked as it should, and that can help alleviate some anxieties. If the bird is out of sight and loses connection, it will come home. Of course, you need to make sure your home point is set, which tends to happen automatically before you take off, and, as noted, you need to make sure your RTH altitude is high enough to avoid obstacles.

Hi Portland 88,
Wow, believe me I know that feeling myself, only it happend with my P4 not my Mavic pro Plat. , that is of course not yet, fingers crossed LOL
but that is a day I'll never forget. I sent it on a way point mission that extended over 2 miles and when I lost connection I panicked, trying every thing I could think of.... and of course it was me who actually interrupted it's mission, If I had not get panicky and left it alone, she would have either RTH
on it's own or just finished it's mission. A Lesson well learned. LOL
Good Luck and Fly High
StevenP55

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2p123