DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First night flight.

Callum

Reactions
Today had my first flight in the dark, took it out about 700m and it entered atti mode.
Brought it back no problem as Strobon led gave great visibility, was a little dodgy coming down at end but feel more confident now it happened.

On ground realised that I forgot to fit my tracker and that's what caused compass error, oops.

Got it back in air and took it out around 700m again.
Tried some long exposures but found that it was very slowly rotating to the right and sometimes left.

Not noticed in daylight before but it is very minor.

Any pointers? Have calibrated sticks, anything else I should do before next night flight?

IMU Calibration on a cold Mavic may help with being able to maintain a perfect hover. Make sure the Mavic is cold and do this on a dead level surface.

I downloaded a Level app from the App store and placed the tablet on may surfaces until I found a spot that was **** near perfectly level. Then I IMU calibrated in that spot.

At night it is not going to be as solid in a hover as it usually is in daytime. This is because sensors are usually off because of low light. So it will tend to drift up down and side to side...it is fine. Op u say it went into atti mode vecause u didnt have tracker on? Thought that would throw compasses off more then anything. Depending on where u mounted it.....

Edit....the turning left and right..... Did u visually see mavic doing this? Because sometimes its the gimbal that will slowly drift left and right

At night it is not going to be as solid in a hover as it usually is in daytime. This is because sensors are usually off because of low light. So it will tend to drift up down and side to side...it is fine. Op u say it went into atti mode vecause u didnt have tracker on? Thought that would throw compasses off more then anything. Depending on where u mounted it.....

Edit....the turning left and right..... Did u visually see mavic doing this? Because sometimes its the gimbal that will slowly drift left and right

Yes, I the have compass calibrated with tracker in place on bracket at rear. Forgot to put it on and got out a fair bit and it was only when I started to Yaw that I got the compass warning and switch to ATTI. Originally had it on top of mavic and if the tracker was not on aircraft Id get a compass error before I even took off.
Lesson learned, will not forget it again.

No Mavic was too far out to see anything. It was very minor but obviously has an effect on a 5 second shutter. I probably wouldn't have noticed it in daylight, I think the fact I was focused on street lights made it more obvious.

I did counter the rotation with a slight input on stick and a few of the photos turned out not bad and sometimes there was no movement at all.

You might be right, could be gimbal. Maybe I did not leave it long enough after movement for gimbal to settle.

IMU Calibration on a cold Mavic may help with being able to maintain a perfect hover. Make sure the Mavic is cold and do this on a dead level surface.

I downloaded a Level app from the App store and placed the tablet on may surfaces until I found a spot that was **** near perfectly level. Then I IMU calibrated in that spot.

Ill give IMU calibration a try before next flight.

Thanks

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xyggi