DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fixed Wing Mode max speed?

macbrush

Reactions
Hi, I am all new to this drone stuff, so sorry for my noob question. I have got my Mavic Pro a few days ago, tried both "normal sport mode" and fixed wing mode in sport mode (not sure if sport is still active when in fixed wing mode though), and found that normal sport mode consistently fly more than 60kph while I could only get 45 kph out of fixed wing mode at best, but most of time it's less than 40 kph.

I like the fixed wing mode since the gimbal simulate pitch when you fly up and down, but it is far too slow to be any fun. Is this normal behaviour? Am I missing something in the setting?

Thanks a million for any suggestions.

Cheers
kh

Last edited:
Hi, I am all new to this drone stuff, so sorry for my noob question. I have got my Mavic Pro a few days ago, tried both "normal sport mode" and fixed wing mode in sport mode (not sure if sport is still active when in fixed wing mode though), and found that normal sport mode consistently fly more than 60kph while I could only get 45 kph out of fixed wing mode at best, but most of time it's less than 40 kph.

I like the fixed wing mode since the gimbal simulate pitch when you fly up and down, but it is far too slow to be any fun. Is this normal behaviour? Am I missing something in the setting?

Thanks a million for any suggestions.

Cheers
kh
Howdy from Wyoming @macbrush , welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here. I think you are doing things right, fixed wing mode is not as fast as sport.

Thank you for the reply. Is there any way that I could speed up fixed wing mode so that it's on par with normal sport mode?

Yep, normal. Probably needs enough margin to be able to do the right moves to simulate fixed wing.

As far as I know, Sport Mode turns off any sensors on the Mavic, and also overrides smart flight modes. Can't use them both at the same time.

Thanks, I'll stick with Sport mode for thrill and fixed wing mode for video shots when is needed then.

So, I was doing a test yesterday..
Since 1 or 2 firmware updates ago, the max speed in sports mode is ramped. Instead of going to max pitch, where if you have tailwind, it'll go faster than 65kph. Now, it'll ramp in steps, and if it's reached close to 65kph, it doesn't pitch further. Max speed I achieved since that update was 68kph.
But then I notice this ramp/speed limit doesn't seem to apply for fixed wing mode. So I had sports mode on, and then enabled fixed wing @40kph. Then turning around so I get tailwind, I push the right joystick full forward, and hit 76kph (-40° pitch, I thought max is 35°). It was consistently > 70kph with tail wind. I am using latest firmware, unmodified.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inky