DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flawless flights or am I just lucky

Flawless after 30 flights. Seems hard to believe sometimes that it works so well.

I've had problems with the DJi Go4 app on Android but had no issues with the drone itself (apart from possibly a drift issue I need to look into) however in general there's never been a hint of a problem as it's always responded exactly as I've expected it to.

John

Reactions: mfarris2
I am still in the honeymoon stage at 2 weeks, and about 10 flights, but so far so good.

Years ago I heard a good saying. "You have to move slow, to move fast"

Applies to this little guy for newbies like myself. Lots of videos, reading, and forums. I learn something new every day.

The sole fly in that ointment (IMO) is that OA should be turned off in the RTH settings (if it isn't already). Since RTH should be setup to clear all obstacles there is no need for it. Turning it off makes sure it won't be fooled by the rising or setting sun into thinking there is an obstacle nearby. If you have a radio link loss and it freezes in place on return due to the above, you might not recover your drone.
This, for sure. One question.....If RTH OA is disabled, but regular OA is still on, what will happen on RTH? Does the advanced setting of RTH OA override the general setting?

This, for sure. One question.....If RTH OA is disabled, but regular OA is still on, what will happen on RTH? Does the advanced setting of RTH OA override the general setting?

In your RTH settings disable OA. Also make sure your RTH settings will clear ALL obstacles in the area. Checklist.

In essence, disabling it in RTH has no effect on OA in "regular" flight.

I'm sure there are 100s of people flying with no problems at all. That's why they aren't here ;-)

Reactions: DonB
I purchased the Mavic back in November and have used it pretty much every weekend since and had flawless performance. I I have updated the firmware every time a new version comes out and have never had an issue with exception of one update. I fly most over water (90%) of the time. So the question is am I just lucky or has anyone else experienced this type of performance? I read/hear a lot of horror stories, is it just a matter of time?

Over 150 flawless flights most of them flown with FPV Camera App

I purchased the Mavic back in November and have used it pretty much every weekend since and had flawless performance. I I have updated the firmware every time a new version comes out and have never had an issue with exception of one update. I fly most over water (90%) of the time. So the question is am I just lucky or has anyone else experienced this type of performance? I read/hear a lot of horror stories, is it just a matter of time?
Received mine first week of Feb. Over 30 full battery flights and not an issue. Calibrated everything before first flight and
haven't had to since. Fly various spots in SoCal 60 miles away from each other. Coming from a P2 and P3A this little guy
is a wonder.

In your RTH settings disable OA. Also make sure your RTH settings will clear ALL obstacles in the area. Checklist.

In essence, disabling it in RTH has no effect on OA in "regular" flight.
Yes. I have tested this. What I was wondering, is it true the other way around. If it's off in RTH, and still on in the "normal" settings, what will the Mavic do if RTH is initiated? Is the mainl OA setting overridden by the RTH OA setting? Or do they BOTH need to be off?
Just curious. I always have RTH OA off to avoid sun issues, but I turn off main OA just in case.

Yes. I have tested this. What I was wondering, is it true the other way around. If it's off in RTH, and still on in the "normal" settings, what will the Mavic do if RTH is initiated? Is the mainl OA setting overridden by the RTH OA setting? Or do they BOTH need to be off?
Just curious. I always have RTH OA off to avoid sun issues, but I turn off main OA just in case.

The general OA setting should be on. It has nothing to do with the OA setting under RTH mode. In there, it should be off so that during RTH OA won't freeze the craft. Altitude settings are thus very important.

Got mine in Late Feb. SN dated manufacture on Friday Feb 10th. Been flying fine when the weather permits. Went thru a P1 P2 P3 and still have a P3P that bricked after a firmware update. The Mavic is a great drone. Knock on wood. Flying at my sons goat farm this weekend.
S L

I've been flying at least once a day since i got it, and apart from a minor mishap that was my fault, it's been fine.

Though however many flights I do they'll all be Flawless ;)

Reactions: DonB
18 flight days in New England.
Absolutely no problems. I've read
everything first ... (manuals, FAA rules,blog tips and tutorials)
and watched YouTubes to learn from the more experienced.
I am blown away with the quality
of the videos and photo files.
My Best : Flying straight up; with video runnning, focused on the horizon . It's like looking
out of a 40 story elevator with the big city magically rising on the horizon !!!!!

Last edited:
About 10 flights so far. I started off with an Syma x11 and then moved to the fpv racers (I have 2 ImpulseRC Aliens 5"). For me having experience with the racers has been key. This MP has surprisingly a lot of power and had I not had a ton of stick time with my other birds I'd be very intimidated.

Photography has always been a passion of mine so my MP is a way to get a different perspective. That said I baby this thing in the same way i baby my Nikon fullframe with its expensive-@ss lenses. I wonder if some of the people having problems are flying this thing like a racer. I mean its a small/easily transportable photo/video drone and not an easily repaired racer.

I've been flying mine since January and haven't had any terrible problems. Some pilot learning curves, for sure, but no technical problems for the most part. I say "for the most part" only because since the latest g4pro update on iOS, I have experienced my first full app crash. I do attribute it to my mistake (though I'd kind of hope the app would catch it). I set my cache size to a greater value than I had available. After fixing that mistake, she's gone back to stable. Couldn't be happier with her really.

I've been flying mine since January and haven't had any terrible problems. Some pilot learning curves, for sure, but no technical problems for the most part. I say "for the most part" only because since the latest g4pro update on iOS, I have experienced my first full app crash. I do attribute it to my mistake (though I'd kind of hope the app would catch it). I set my cache size to a greater value than I had available. After fixing that mistake, she's gone back to stable. Couldn't be happier with her really.

Im new to these fancy drones lol...whats the cache size do??

Im new to these fancy drones lol...whats the cache size do??

I'm referring to the setting that tells DJIGo app how much space to use on your phone or tablet for recording. I'll try to grab a screenshot for you. But moral of my story is...don't muck with it if you don't need to.

Got mine in Nov with about 50 odd flights on it and no real issues at all yet. Not a particularly risky flyer and have had some great shots with it :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure