DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flickering lines 4K Mavic Pro

DGitalChaos

Reactions
Does anyone know why the trees and lines appear to flicker? Is it shutter speed? I'm not talking about the water color effect.

This was shot as MP4 4K at 24fps.

Is this a one time occurrence, or does it happen all the time? If the latter, there's a bug either in the firmware or the hardware. My bet is the firmware. Try resetting the firmware in the Mavic Pro, and while you're at it, do the RC and batteries, to ensure consistency.

@msinger Your input may help here.

Regular occurrence in bright daylight. Not so bad in the evening or cloudy days. I'll try the firmware when I get home.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

3 causes : changing the exposure, 24p framerate is not enough for fast camera movement and I frame compression issue (not fixable since phantom 3 pro has it already).

The video on YouTube is only 480p. We don't see your 4K. Is this a cached video on your phone/tablet, or is this straight from the microSD card on the drone itself?

Straight from the SD card. When you go to YouTube, it should give the option to select video quality.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Does anyone know why the trees and lines appear to flicker? Is it shutter speed? I'm not talking about the water color effect.

This was shot as MP4 4K at 24fps.

Have noticed same flickering on my last videos. Could it be a hardware issue? I don't remember to had this kind of flickering when I purchased the Mavic.

On my case I believe it happens randomly and is not related to sun's position or craft's orientation.

A nd filter will all but eliminate it.
Regards,
-d.

On my case I believe it happens randomly and is not related to sun's position or craft's orientation.
Got a sample video?

just uploaded a 20 sec video. The flickering is much noticeable at the lower part of the screen (trees,bushes) try full screen. I recorded in 2.7K , then selected the scenes in imovie and exported using 4K profile. The mavic has an ND8 filter on, by TACO-RC

In the app, while in video mode, go into the setting and change video format to .mov.
When I first turned on my MP it set to h.264 by default.

I have a lot more trouble with .MOV than .MP4 / h.264. For example the .MOV that the Mavic creates will not convert in Handbrake...

In the app, while in video mode, go into the setting and change video format to .mov.
When I first turned on my MP it set to h.264 by default.
I am already using *.mov files and still have the flickering. :(

Fast flickering can be a rolling shutter problem. Don't shoot into the sun and it should be acceptable.

A slow flicker can be coming from automatic exposure. Your camera will adjust its exposure about once second and this can give a change in exposure all the time resulting in a slow flicker feeling. Never use automatic exposure if you want to get smooth footage. Set it to manual exposure, choose the right ISO, etc...and use your right wheel to set it to a good value. Enable the histogram in your Go4 app and use it to set your exposure right. If you have no experience with histograms Google it. It is a very valuable tool.

Also a fast shutter speed can result in a flickering feeling in your footage. The ideal shutter speed would be no faster than 2x your frame rate. So shooting 25fps use a speed no faster than 1/50th of a second. The problem is that the Mavic lens has a fixed aperture so you might have too much light for these slow shutter speeds. In that case get yourself some ND filters (sunglasses for your lens) to lose some of this light.

All in all getting it right is not easy but with patience an trial and error you should get there. No one ever said shooting video is easy :)

Thanks for your reply tmoerel and the valuable information. I had tracked the issue with autoexposure and in my last video shots I had it locked. I was using an ND8 filter in a bright day, not to perfectly match shutter rule , just to avoid very high speeds like 1/2000 or 1/1000. I'll try next time an ND32 and let you know. Thanks again

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78